U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,562,005 times

Advertisements

Just wondering seeing as everything else we consume (mainly) comes from China. Will we be seeing sub-par, unsafe Chinamobiles anytime soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,199,252 times
Some of them are here already ... just not in the form of a regular car. We're talking mini trucks, scooters, and NEVs.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,286,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Just wondering seeing as everything else we consume (mainly) comes from China. Will we be seeing sub-par, unsafe Chinamobiles anytime soon?
No more subpar and unsafe than the crap we made here in America for the last several decades.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,868,909 times
No, the products will have to comply with requirements. But I wouldn't be surprised a bit if we saw decent Chinese cars in the US within this decade.

Like all the other manufacturers, Chinese automakers will produce a vehicle that is compliant with US requirements. Japanese cars were subpar at one time. Now they are commonplace. What about Korean cars? Hyundai started selling cars in 1986, and didn't exactly start off well. Twenty-five years later, Hyundai's products are rated highly. That seems like a long time, but in the world of durable goods, it's not that long.

The US is a huge market, and I doubt Chinese automakers are ignoring it.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM

20,305 posts, read 37,790,850 times
They have all they can do to fulfill their homegrown demand, though they may sell here to get their hands on our money.

Myself, I'd see it as another Yugo.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM

659 posts, read 930,957 times
They're starting selling out here, but they're still unreliable to most of buyers.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
GM, Ford, Audi, VW and others are already building 1st world models in China, like the Ford Mondeo, Audi A4 and Buick Lesabre. Bizarrely, Buick is THE car to have for upper middle class Chinese, as well as Cadillac.

Japanese brands are not as popular for obvious reasons.

I think it's only a matter of time before either Chinese produced cars or Chinese brands enter the USA.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
I think everything should be made in China, American products are too expensive and American workers are too greedy (imagine wanting a decent living wage, what do they think this is 1960?)
I say lay off all Americans and have everything made outside the USA.

Of course without American workers paying taxes we can ask the Chinese workers to pay to run our government. We already borrow from them, might just as well have them pay directly to keep us alive.

I say all Americans should volunteer to give up their job so some poor kid in China or India can be employed.

Isn't that what we are saying when we buy Chinese goods?

Personally I'll stick with buying American, but that's just me.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 AM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times
The Chinese will take over the car market sooner or later, i'm sure a lot of todays cars have much Chinese content, anyway i'm looking forward to their line of Sport Utility vehicles ==
This is the new boatcar..

Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 AM

4,248 posts, read 10,228,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I think everything should be made in China, American products are too expensive and American workers are too greedy (imagine wanting a decent living wage, what do they think this is 1960?)
I say lay off all Americans and have everything made outside the USA.

Of course without American workers paying taxes we can ask the Chinese workers to pay to run our government. We already borrow from them, might just as well have them pay directly to keep us alive.

I say all Americans should volunteer to give up their job so some poor kid in China or India can be employed.

Isn't that what we are saying when we buy Chinese goods?

Personally I'll stick with buying American, but that's just me.
We do not borrow from them. They buy our debt and a lot of countries do this. Not just the Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive