U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM

590 posts, read 1,007,495 times

Advertisements

Mine would be driving from Buffalo, NY to Watkins Glen, NY on a business trip. It was the dead of winter at 3 in the morning driving on a deserted 2 lane road.

There was no cars behind me or in front of me. Nothing on the sides of me, not even a railing. Just miles and miles of pastures and once in a while a random farmhouse.

I was with a buddy of mine so it wasn't too bad but he kept rambling about how if we broke down there would be no one for miles. Didn't help that he was reminiscing about some movie called the lovely bones where a small farm town was attacked by a killer.

I never ever want to break down in the middle of no where in a rural area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,269,639 times
I attended the 2005 nationals autox competition in Washington DC and at some point my LR coilover broke its bottom off, spilling all the shock's hydraulic oil. My car's rear was basically resting on the bumpstops and had no way of fixing it. I did add a 2x4 wood on the bumpstop to lift my car bit. I had to (over)load up my car with racing gear/wheels and I drove that car at 60mph max to NYC (275mi). This car had no AC, no radio and it was summer. I was very cautious with every crack and bump on the road, always had 2 hands kungfu grip on the steering wheel, this actually caused me serious stomach upsets that I cant describe. I had to take longer stops to puke, take sick dumps and reset myself every 80miles or so.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,296,224 times
Driving in the Caribbean or Africa. Makes driving here a cakewalk

Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,266,232 times
Driving my 1970 GS Stage one to Florida for a Wedding,there was myself,my GF(now wife) and our best friend in the car.

Engine was just out of the break in period after a rebuild,hefty cam,headers,etc.

Kept an eye on the gauges and was doing well until near Gainesville,hit traffic,temp shot up,car overheated.Blew both head gaskets(found out later the timing was off causing it to run hotter than normal).

Took the bus to the wedding,GF got a lift home and my friend and I changed both head gaskets in the parking lot of a machine shop/auto parts place in Gainesville.

Had to baby it all the way home,stopping frequently for gas and more importantly to cool down the car.

Took us most of the night to get back.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,624,277 times
Everyday I drive to and from home can be scary. The Parish (we have parish where all other states have counties) said they will eventually fix our road now that the bond measure had passed about four years ago. The road is very narrow with very deep ditches. These ditches are so deep it takes a tow truck to get a vehicle out. The road is so narrow that parts of the road are literally falling into the ditch. Almost every week a vehicle is pulled out of the ditch. What makes this happen so frequently is an oil tool pipe yard company is located on the road which means 18 wheelers regularly travel up and down the road. If the rig driver goes a few inches to the right, he ends up in the ditch, which has happened a few times. If he goes a few inches to the left, other drivers get shoved off into the ditch to avoid hitting the rig. Those rigs are another reason why the edge of the road is falling into the ditch. The road is rural and so it has no lights. I drive below the posted speed limit at night. I have good headlights but if I can't run my high beams, my visibility is very limited and there are dogs, bike riders, and people walking down the edge of the road at night sometimes. In places, there is no place on the side to walk safely. Louisiana has the worst roads in the entire nation.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 35,878,400 times
I've got two that rank high on my list:

1. Went to see some friends at a bar/restaurant about 30 miles from my house around 7pm. It was February and cold, but clear and the weatherman said no precipiation. I decided to leave my trusty A4 at home and took my GTO that I hadn't driven in a couple weeks. A friend needed a lift, so we were on the way back home around 11pm when it started raining. Then the rain started to turn to clumps (snow). I slowed down from 65 to about 40 in the center lane of the interstate. Just then, I hit a dip and the rear kicked out (damn "summer" tires). I skidded side to side counter steering each time and never spun out. Must have done that dance for what seemed like hours before I got the car stopped on the shoulder and took the first exit for a local road, thankfully there wasn't anyone near me. My friend just sat in the passenger seat stone faced the whole time until we stopped, then he exclaimed, that was some darn good driving.

2. This actually happened the other night. Picked my daughters up at my parents house and was heading home in my Malibu. I was in the left lane of the interstate going about 75. As I was passing a Chrysler 300 (with a guy yacking on a phone glued to his head) the driver decided he was just going to cut into my lane. He came straight over and I cut the wheel hard into the left shoulder which was thankfully very wide. As I yanked the wheel back to keep from hitting the barrier the rear skidded a bit and the Stabilitrak kicked in. I got it under control and back on the highway. My daughters were happily strapped in their car seats looking out the window like nothing had happened. About a second later the OnStar kicks on and says "Sir, we detected your vehicle made an emergency maneuver, is everything OK?" I said, "yeah were fine, just some f$%k face in a Chrysler 300 talking on his cell phone." The advisor chuckled, told me to have a nice day and not to hesitate to contact them if we needed anything.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM

4,464 posts, read 9,968,967 times
Driving up to Fort Collins on US-287 in the pitch black dark I suppose was the most tiring at least. I got a little tense, cause I could see deer and rabbits on the side of the rode, just as my headlight hit them when I drove by, but I knew I'd only have time to slow down some if they jumped out, doubt I would've managed to stop entirely. To do that I would've had to go 30-40 Mph.

It was exhausting, but not terribly worrisome, I really don't worry when I drive.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Two experiences, both in a big truck:

1. Arrived at work with temps hovering around freezing. In the tiime that it took me to hook up my trailer, roads had turned to an ice rink. Took me two hours to drive the 6 miles to the I-70/I-75 junction North of Dayton, OH. On the ramp to I-70 Westbound, a truck at the top of the hill couldn't get traction, so I sat another hour waiting for a salt truck to help him out. Once we got going again, the rest of the trucks wisely decided to stay on top of the hill near the airport exit until the roads could better be salted. Since I had to stop at a store at the next exit, I preceeded on. The downhill was a sheet of ice. I had NO braking whatsoever. Fortunately, nobody was near me. I made it to the off-ramp, where I was able to slow to a stop in the snow on the shoulder. I waited at the store for A WHILE...

2. Returning from a Louisville store, I got a "CHECK ENGINE" & an "ENGINE SHUTDOWN" light together. My engine quit in a blind curve on I-71 just before the I-264 EB ramp to I-71. All of the ramps and highways in that area are cut through rock formations with lots of blind curves. When I stopped in the left lane, I went to put my safety triangles out. No sooner than I set them up than they were run over by approaching cars. Fortunately, a Louisville PD traffic officer pulled up and blocked the lane behind me. A quick fix, temporarily disconnecting the radiator overflow tank sensor, got me going again. I'm still thankfull nobody hit the back of my trailer...

Old 04-21-2011, 03:06 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,968,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Two experiences, both in a big truck:

1. Arrived at work with temps hovering around freezing. In the tiime that it took me to hook up my trailer, roads had turned to an ice rink. Took me two hours to drive the 6 miles to the I-70/I-75 junction North of Dayton, OH. On the ramp to I-70 Westbound, a truck at the top of the hill couldn't get traction, so I sat another hour waiting for a salt truck to help him out. Once we got going again, the rest of the trucks wisely decided to stay on top of the hill near the airport exit until the roads could better be salted. Since I had to stop at a store at the next exit, I preceeded on. The downhill was a sheet of ice. I had NO braking whatsoever. Fortunately, nobody was near me. I made it to the off-ramp, where I was able to slow to a stop in the snow on the shoulder. I waited at the store for A WHILE...

2. Returning from a Louisville store, I got a "CHECK ENGINE" & an "ENGINE SHUTDOWN" light together. My engine quit in a blind curve on I-71 just before the I-264 EB ramp to I-71. All of the ramps and highways in that area are cut through rock formations with lots of blind curves. When I stopped in the left lane, I went to put my safety triangles out. No sooner than I set them up than they were run over by approaching cars. Fortunately, a Louisville PD traffic officer pulled up and blocked the lane behind me. A quick fix, temporarily disconnecting the radiator overflow tank sensor, got me going again. I'm still thankfull nobody hit the back of my trailer...
Yeah, the truckers I used to work with had some insane stories, I'd probably be a little worried more often if I drove a big rig! Got nothing but respect for you guys.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,692,730 times
The time the state highway patrol tried to catch me and I had to out run him. even though I got away I still messed my car up when I tried to stop...A highway patrol in a big 440 dodge is very intimidating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or