U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,749,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I make it real simple for the dealer. I buy new cars (when I can) through the Costco purchase program. That lists the discounted price. Done. If they try to lead me astray I have no issue with telling the sales manager to find me a salesman who listens to the customer rather than the one I am dealing with.
Costco and American Express both have pretty good programs for new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes most dealers want you to finance.
In my experience buying from new car dealers (Chrysler, Infiniti, Dodge) they didn't really care whether I financed through them or just brought them a cashier's check for the negotiated total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
However it is a good idea to play along. Negotiate the best total price let them discuss payments if they want to, but tell them you are interested in the purchase price more than what the monthly payment is. Then once you have the best price you can get, tell them you decided you do not want to pay interest and fees on a loan and will just pay cash. Sometimes they will come back with 0% interest and no fees, or an interest/fee combination so low it makes more sense for you to invest the money and make payments.
This is the key-- negotiate based on total purchase price, not monthly payment.

If you look at the fine print on the "0% for 60/72 months" offers, usually it says something like "$1500 cash back or choose 0% interest". If you can swing the cash, are you better off taking the $1500 now, or leaving the money invested and making monthly payments?

For people with bad credit, taking the loan might sound like a good idea (to build up a positive credit report), but a poor credit score disqualifies the buyer for the 0% offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 01:28 PM

7,973 posts, read 6,728,842 times
In my last new purchase (2017 Ford Explorer, $30K0 I was paying cash. We got to within $1K on the price. The finance manager told me they could meet my price if I financed. He said finance it, drive it away, when first payment comes do it will include the pay off (the price we agreed on), just pay it off. It went down that way.

Reason is there are different profit centers at dealers and finance is its own profit center. They got credit for doing the financing. Did not matter if I paid it off. That was Ford Motors Credit issue, not the dealers.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:34 PM

24,728 posts, read 59,646,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Co

If you look at the fine print on the "0% for 60/72 months" offers, usually it says something like "$1500 cash back or choose 0% interest". If you can swing the cash, are you better off taking the $1500 now, or leaving the money invested and making monthly payments?
I do not know, how much can you make on $50,000? My 401K is at 13.7% for the past 12 months. If you could maintain that, you might make enough to make the payments and ultimately get the car for free.

Free is good. Almost free is still good.

My investment activity consists of sticking money in my 401K and ignoring it. have no idea what kind of return you might be able to sustain over a 7 year period. of course you have to pay taxes on the gains

Old 05-19-2018, 06:19 AM

5,097 posts, read 1,461,510 times
paying cash means nothing anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or