Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Also make sure you let everyone know what you paid so that people can have fun berating you for your purchase, your vehicle choice, for not financing, for not living in a six bedroom house, for not having a fleet of antiques in your own personal museum, for not riding a bicycle, and for having been born. It's part of the charm of automotive enthusiast forums.
Beautiful well put. This is the main reason people have so much stress about buying a car. They'll hear more lies from so called buying professionals then they will on a dealer lot. Most people's "friends" will always tell them they paid too much or bought the wrong vehicle but never produce paperwork to prove the awesome deal they got. Cash buying is the simplest because cost on new vehicles is easy to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You pointed out that salespeople go after back end money to avoid making just a mini. That greed could cost them a deal.

That's a conclusion you jumped to, not anything I said.

All I said was that salespeople certainly do care about how the person pays.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:

Oh you're such a stud. You showed them.

Your silly print off web coupon is not the same as a manufacturer's rebate that comes from the manufacturer. That is what I was referring too.
It wasn't print-off the web. There was barely a web to print off of back then. It was a dealership coupon.

And considering the leeches I was dealing with, it was a glorious moment.

There are some people in business who truly want to help you and give you a good experience and fulfill your needs. You don't usually meet them on car lots.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It wasn't print-off the web. There was barely a web to print off of back then. It was a dealership coupon.

And considering the leeches I was dealing with, it was a glorious moment.

There are some people in business who truly want to help you and give you a good experience and fulfill your needs. You don't usually meet them on car lots.
Web or no like you said it was a dealership coupon. I've seen some that say those have to be presented up front and some don't. And even then people will "forget" they have them until after they've negotiated and threaten to walk unless the dealer honors them. If a dealer pulled something like that they be considered slime or worse be in trouble with the law - a consumer who does it is just being savvy.

If it had been a manufacturer's rebate that dealer would have been happy to discover it as it makes it easier to convince the customer to buy and the money doesn't come out of their pocket. That's the whole point. If you want a cash deal you should be up front about it because there might be rebates available only to such buyers. If they try to offer you zero percent financing or a one pay lease in lieu of that you shouldn't get upset about it, they Renjust doing their job. Sometimes being too cagey and nebulous can back fire.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Also make sure you let everyone know what you paid so that people can have fun berating you for your purchase, your vehicle choice, for not financing, for not living in a six bedroom house, for not having a fleet of antiques in your own personal museum, for not riding a bicycle, and for having been born. It's part of the charm of automotive enthusiast forums.
Repped ya!

The saddest part is, someone out there would probably take this seriously.

FWIW, a good salesman can make the transaction go through very smoothly. Years back, my dad went to buy an ad special car. Straight up asked, is it in stock? Yes? Spent 5 minutes on the "well, it's customary" test drive and went back to the dealership. Told the salesman "tell your finance manager no BS and it's a done deal." 20 minutes later, dad was out the door with the new car.

He didn't make much, for sure, but some commission is better than none. Dad has no qualms walking away like he's done at other dealers before, so.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
20 minutes later, dad was out the door with the new car.

That must have been nice. I hated it when people insisted on some arbitrary time limit or they would walk. The mountain of paperwork that's required these days means at least 25-30 minutes just to prepare everything for signing. It's ridiculous.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:25 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Well, no new car sales going on in this town for awhile, if in the market for a Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Suzuki, Ford, Hyundai, Volvo, Mistubishi, Volkswagen, or Kia, ALL all of those new cars in our city are badly hail damaged, some severely damaged.

Toyota, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealers (northwest side of town) were not impacted.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
That must have been nice. I hated it when people insisted on some arbitrary time limit or they would walk. The mountain of paperwork that's required these days means at least 25-30 minutes just to prepare everything for signing. It's ridiculous.

I tried to get the dealer to prpeare the paperwork in advance so we did nto have to sit there and wait and they refused. I asked them if I could leave them a $5,000 deposit and then come back when they had the paperwork done. They said no, I had to sit and wait while they filled it out. If it had been a car for me, I would have walked out and bought a used car, but my wife wanted a new car, so I waited.

In general, I despise dealerships. I do not know whether all the games are desired by the salesmen, or the dealership makes them do that, but it is awful. They do the same thing in the service department. I thin that they are told to make you wait so you will walk around and look at cars. The last time I used a dealership service department (except in an emergency) I had an 8 a.m. appointment to drop off my car. I was on time. It was 9:30 before I got out of there. Thus, it was the last time that I went to a dealership. Picking up your car can be even worse. go to one window after another and stand in line after line. If I want to pay to stand in line, I will go to Disneyland, thank you very much.

I just found a mechanic who comes to your house and works on your car. If he needs shop tools, then HE takes the car to his shop and brings it back. He does not seem to be more expensive. It is a good way to get more work while reducing overhead. Of course our community is geographically limited, so he will never have to drive very far between appointments. This would not work everywhere.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I tried to get the dealer to prpeare the paperwork in advance so we did nto have to sit there and wait and they refused. I asked them if I could leave them a $5,000 deposit and then come back when they had the paperwork done. They said no, I had to sit and wait while they filled it out. If it had been a car for me, I would have walked out and bought a used car, but my wife wanted a new car.
In my state titles are done electronically and once you do them they are a PITA to back up. I love it when you run it all and the customer says, "oh I sign my name Donald I just go by don" or "can you add my wife too? You won't have to start over will you?" "no sir I'll just pencil her in on this legally binding contract no biggie!" I can't tell you how many times I've been told by a customer or salesperson that some one who is taking a break from open heart surgery, disarming a nuclear device or otherwise saving all mankind is the buyer and that I only have fifteen seconds to have their paperwork ready so they can be in and out or the deal is off. And you know what? They usually take their time during negotiation to hammer out every last penny on the price and their trade appraisal but as soon as we come to terms the sky is falling and it is rush rush rush. Then after you make about three hundred dollars off of them on a new forty thousand dollar vehicle they hammer you on the survey because it took too long. And that's the ones that show up at all. There are a great many who want everything done at a certain time and then show up hours or even days later or never.

You probably aren't that type of guy but the only thing to take away from this jaded and sarcastic rant is that not everything is a game and that's okay to play by a least one of somebody else's rules when you are doing business with them.

Last edited by Tourian; 04-30-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 03:31 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
In my state titles are done electronically and once you do them they are a PITA to back up. I love it when you run it all and the customer says, "oh I sign my name Donald I just go by don" or "can you add my wife too? You won't have to start over will you?" "no sir I'll just pencil her in on this legally binding contract no biggie!" I can't tell you how many times I've been told by a customer or salesperson that some one who is taking a break from open heart surgery, disarming a nuclear device or otherwise saving all mankind is the buyer and that I only have fifteen seconds to have their paperwork ready so they can be in and out or the deal is off. And you know what? They usually take their time during negotiation to hammer out every last penny on the price and their trade appraisal but as soon as we come to terms the sky is falling and it is rush rush rush. Then after you make about three hundred dollars off of them on a new forty thousand dollar vehicle they hammer you on the survey because it took too long. And that's the ones that show up at all. There are a great many who want everything done at a certain time and then show up hours or even days later or never.

You probably aren't that type of guy but the only thing to take away from this jaded and sarcastic rant is that not everything is a game and that's okay to play by a least one of somebody else's rules when you are doing business with them.
Spare us the drama. You work in that industry you probably knew what it involved, why complain? You probably don't complain raping some old lady or young customer with 30% interest rates and **** poor service.

Guy's buying cash which means FU dealer. If he isn't going to go to this dealer for service or anything he should try to get the absolute lowest price.

If you are going to be using this dealer for service etc, I would not nickel and dime them to death b/c they will remember and if an issue comes up they will likely not look out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive