U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM

6,994 posts, read 13,888,197 times
Default How to approach dealer when buying a new car with cash?

Within about 4-8 weeks, we are likely going to be purchasing a brand new vehicle 2011-2012, without financing it. I am unsure of what I am going to purchase, will likely be between a $25K-$35K car/truck.

I read somewhere where dealers really dont really like for you to pay for the entire car because it knocks them out of making a profit on financing, but I always thought most people did their own financing like through their own bank?

I have emailed a couple dealers trying to get some info on options and special ordering. One kept bugging me by email, even saying they didnt mean to "bombard" me with emails. I replied and said it was OK and asked about a certain option on a certain model and if it was possible for me to get it that way and I did mention that it would be cash purchase (he had asked in the email if I needed help with financing). He has not replied as if they either think I am bluffing or they dont want to sell one straight out.

I am wondering now; do I get a price in writing before I tell them I am paying cash? I am wondering if I will not get as good of a price if I purchase straight out?

At what point in the sale (after I pinpoint what make/model/options I want) to the salesman that I dont want to finance?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 PM

6,994 posts, read 13,888,197 times
nevermind, I found a link on the "do's and dont's" on this matter.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 PM

6,529 posts, read 14,187,038 times
Friend of mine bought his last new truck off the internet for cash. He paid a third of what I paid for my truck.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 AM

4,917 posts, read 3,439,404 times
Sometimes they give you cash rebates in lieu of special financing, so just be up front about it. The salespeople and the sales manager generally don't care if you are paying cash. It is usually only the finance manager who is upset because you aren't financing, and you won't meet him until you've agreed to terms. You can look online and see if there is a cash rebate offered on the car you want. Most times it is advertised on every where. something like get 1.9% OR $4000 rebate. You want the $4000.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:39 AM

3,130 posts, read 2,888,972 times
Well the issue to me is the IRS red flag more than anything. Simply secure your best deal, get every rebate possible and bring your suitcase You always negotiate the best deal/price on the car no matter how you are paying.

When the guy is trying to push you into financing tell him you are thinking of going with your credit union. None of their business how you are buying the car, especially if you don't need any of their financing. After you sit down, agree on a final OTD price you can proceed with how you want to pay.

I have to say now isn't a great time to buy, especially Japanese with everyone holding prices and dealing less due to the quake in Japan. Used prices are also rising as inventory dries up. Also last month was the best sales month in years so demand is high.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 AM

41,241 posts, read 43,989,368 times
It really does make any difference because I've never seen a dealer who turn to finacing until a deal was struck on price. Casdh or credit they get their money when the deal is done.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,656,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Sometimes they give you cash rebates in lieu of special financing, so just be up front about it. The salespeople and the sales manager generally don't care if you are paying cash. It is usually only the finance manager who is upset because you aren't financing, and you won't meet him until you've agreed to terms. You can look online and see if there is a cash rebate offered on the car you want. Most times it is advertised on every where. something like get 1.9% OR $4000 rebate. You want the $4000.

Wrong. Everyone cares. Especially the salesperson because it cuts into their commission.

On the flip side, salespeople are lazy, and cash deals are usually quick. So it ends up being a wash.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:28 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,106,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It really does make any difference because I've never seen a dealer who turn to finacing until a deal was struck on price. Casdh or credit they get their money when the deal is done.
Many salespeople talk "how much can you afford per month?" instead of focusing on the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Well the issue to me is the IRS red flag more than anything. Simply secure your best deal, get every rebate possible and bring your suitcase
Suitcase? Saying it's a "cash" purchase for such an amount usually means it's with a cashier's check.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 AM

41,241 posts, read 43,989,368 times
When you have picked out the car or cars your interested in say you want the out the door rpice with breakdown.You do not have to answr that question.Never talk fiancing until you have the price.They always want to talk payments verus price if you let them.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 AM

4,487 posts, read 9,799,496 times
Almost every vehicle I've purchased has been a cash deal. I never let the salesman talk payments, I simply make sure the conversation goes straight to the purchase price. Usually I know what I'm willing to pay before I even walk into the dealership, if they can't match it, I WILL walk away. I also don't like these "mind games" and when we start haggling, I start about 2K lower than what I'm willing to spend. Once I reach the X dollar amount of what I'm going to pay, I refuse to budge from the position and they can either meet my number or I can walk out. Stick to your guns, don't pay more than you're comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive