U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:19 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,891,840 times

Advertisements

This has happened to me twice in the last month. I was sitting at a stoplight up front with a car next to me. I was looking down and doing something when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye so I step on my gas and stop immediately as it was the turning lane that I saw. Both times that I did that and caught myself the other car going straight like me took right off and just kept going right through the intersection. Not even realizing what they had done. All while the cars in the opposing turn lanes had to stop and wait for the car to get out of the intersection before they could go. Horns blasting and lights flashing at them but these two cars still just kept going like everyone else was crazy. I caught up to both of them eventually just to see who was driving and the first time it was a woman driving another woman and they both were talking and the other time it was an elderly man who looked like he had just seen a ghost.

I'll try not to do that again as it could have caused an accident both times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 03:08 PM

773 posts, read 2,001,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I was looking down and doing something ...
Kinda says it all.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,151,116 times
We used to pull beside a car stopped at a light and when you notice the driver looking down, back up. The driver thinks he's drifting into traffic and jumps on the brakes, even though he didn't move at all. Entertainment in my small town was limited.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,441,689 times
You can get a ticket for doing that.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,234,488 times
I don't make eye contact with fellow motorists, I mind my own business. If some idiot flies into traffic too.bad for him. If I'm the one who gets hit well then it was in the cards I guess. Only thing I hate is people who don't turn on the green arrow. Many people do this. Green still means go.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:02 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,346,010 times
The OP sounds like Terry the Toad driving the white '58 Chevy in American Graffiti.

At least he didn't back into the car behind him when he realized what he'd done.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
We used to pull beside a car stopped at a light and when you notice the driver looking down, back up. The driver thinks he's drifting into traffic and jumps on the brakes, even though he didn't move at all. Entertainment in my small town was limited.
Hi ESFP! One night, when I was REALLY tired, I backed into a spot at White's Truck Stop (I-81 in Raphine, VA) Just before I was ready to hit the brakes, the truck to my left started to pull out. I started to panic when, despite standing on the brake, I kept rolling backwards...

Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I don't make eye contact with fellow motorists, I mind my own business. If some idiot flies into traffic too.bad for him. If I'm the one who gets hit well then it was in the cards I guess. Only thing I hate is people who don't turn on the green arrow. Many people do this. Green still means go.
Near our house is a four lane divided road that crosses another four lane divided road. The GREEN arrow for the right lane came on for us, but we were going straight. But the idiot woman behind us honked and screamed until the GREEN light came on and we went straight...

Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,520,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Hi ESFP! One night, when I was REALLY tired, I backed into a spot at White's Truck Stop (I-81 in Raphine, VA) Just before I was ready to hit the brakes, the truck to my left started to pull out. I started to panic when, despite standing on the brake, I kept rolling backwards...

I hate that! I almost stomp the brake treadle through the floor when that happens!

Another weird thing with my bus....if conditions are right, I get a strange reflection of cars on the drivers side window. It looks like they're heading straight at me and scares the **** outta me every time it happens!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:19 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,891,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
The OP sounds like Terry the Toad driving the white '58 Chevy in American Graffiti.

At least he didn't back into the car behind him when he realized what he'd done.
Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
I was looking down and doing something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays
Kinda says it all.
From now on it's two hands on the wheel, eyes wide open and wait 'till I'm moving before I look down and do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or