U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 AM

3,790 posts, read 7,563,624 times

Advertisements

You can still see one of those "skateboard" cars once in a while. They are still out there, but blended in with the ricers with the 6-ft wings and Momo stickers on their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,863,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
psst...tuning is about performance, not looks, as in tuning the engine or suspension, for example. Adopting "tuning" as the term to describe adding layers of body kits and huge fartcans is exactly the attitude that non-ricers despise about ricers.
To be honest, tuning for performance when you live in the city seems like a waste to me. You'll never get to put it to use. Both cars do have suspension + some light engine work. Nothing serious, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Heh, chrome wheels on an acura are horrendous. Chrome wheels in general are horrendous imo.

The blue one is not too bad but the bodykit just makes it ehhh.
Only thing chrome is the lip.

Those aren't bodykits either. They're oem lipkits

Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 AM

4,227 posts, read 20,289,944 times
No, I got those pics off the internet.

I never owned a Neon, or a car with the bowlegged deep dish rims. I do know of a few people who did though back in the mid 90's.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:52 AM

304 posts, read 516,900 times
Something I've been noticing is most tuners are either buying V8's I guess for the "bang for a buck" factor or buying Euros especially VW's and Audi's.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
To be honest, tuning for performance when you live in the city seems like a waste to me. You'll never get to put it to use. Both cars do have suspension + some light engine work. Nothing serious, though.
Depends on the city too. Some cities are just more crowded than others like nyc vs. miami or LA vs. Tuscon. Like if you watch Nyce1's theres quite a few people in the 5 boroughs that have tuned domestics and imports but at the same time theres also a good amount of mildly tuned/built cars like you said. I guess most people that built their cars into a beast go to the track every weekend (My friend in the BX does most of the time) or race outside of the city at night.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,863,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideWunda View Post
Depends on the city too. Some cities are just more crowded than others like nyc vs. miami or LA vs. Tuscon. Like if you watch Nyce1's theres quite a few people in the 5 boroughs that have tuned domestics and imports but at the same time theres also a good amount of mildly tuned/built cars like you said. I guess most people that built their cars into a beast go to the track every weekend (My friend in the BX does most of the time) or race outside of the city at night.
I know about nyce1's. Most of those dudes go to the track every weekend. Speed was never really my thing in the first place either. I'd rather just mod for looks.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
I know about nyce1's. Most of those dudes go to the track every weekend. Speed was never really my thing in the first place either. I'd rather just mod for looks.
Oh I feel you but yea I like a mixture of both just a balanced car pretty much.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:36 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,143,332 times
No, plenty of ricers still around, Hondas still selling like hotcakes.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,789,119 times
Sucks though, it seems as though there just aren't as many interesting Japanese cars coming out these days.

Other than the 350Z and G37, no RWD coupes... Toyota says they're releasing a "new AE86," which is to be powered by a Subaru boxer engine... hopefully it'll come before too long: 2011 Toyota FT-86 II concept - Top Speed

Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 AM

861 posts, read 2,293,839 times
I have seen a a large reduction in "rice" around here over the past few years. We've had a number of guys bring their rice rides in to have normal wheels and tires, normal springs etc installed. Basically undoing all the crap they did. I have a couple of young guys in the shop so the ricers talk to them and they all say their getting ridiculed so badly that it's not worth doing. People make fun of them, cops target them etc. The other thing that has killed rice is the current crop of cheap affordable performance cars. These kids can now go out and buy a base model Camaro, mustang or Genesis coupe and have 300HP.

Either way i'm glad it's over. I go so tired of looking and listening to those things it was silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive