Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:15 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,866,047 times

Advertisements

So will I be considered a "ricer" when it comes time to add performance mod's to the engine? Civic Si, BTW. The only thing I plan on EVER adding to the outside of the car is maybe new wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,384,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I agree alot less is spent on looks and now most go towards performance the skleeper look is in and ricers died off when you could pick up 300HP cars liike these foe less than 22K with a 5 year bumper-bumper warranty and 0 mods

YouTube - Hustlecars! 2011 Mustang V-6 vs 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs 2010 Camaro RS vs 2010 Challenger SE
Not to mention some tuners getting dusted by V6 family sedans like Accord, Camry, Altima, Malibu, Fusion, and Mazda 6. The Altima and Accord coupes both look sporty and are quick with the V6

Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
So will I be considered a "ricer" when it comes time to add performance mod's to the engine? Civic Si, BTW. The only thing I plan on EVER adding to the outside of the car is maybe new wheels.
I think that would make you a tuner. Wheels are fine unless they're way too big for the wheel wells.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,692,009 times
I see then once in awhile. Might be due to my move from city to country. Or maybe they quit using them in the Fast And Furious movies?

Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 PM

[quote=GTOlover;18859445]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
When I see how much some spent on their tuner/ricer I wonder did they steal the money or borrow it from daddy? With that amount of cash, couldn't they have bought a good new car fully loaded instead of jacking up a beat up used car? And wouldn't that money have been better spent moving out of mommy and daddy's house? IF I wanted to fix up my car I would not spend more than half the blue book value of the car. Some of those guys spent more than the value of the car when it was new![/quote]
hey as a guy that spend almost 12K in a new full lifted suspension new rims/tires upgraded brakes and other "off-road mods like a fully welded 4-point roll cage and 5 point harness" on a old 91 F250 in the last 5-6 years I have no comment
Is that for off road racing?

Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,146,616 times
[quote=sailordave;18859545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

Is that for off road racing?
daily driving in the city with a few off-road adventures in the summer but 99% is on road driving. But hey if I ever have to cross a massive river or tackle some extreme angles up a steep rocky trail in the middle of rush hour traffic my truck is up for the challenge

the only reason I did my truck out so much was
A. it was easy and
B. it was pretty cheap with parts swapping and parts being interchangable. it also had alot of aftermarket support. plus Icould do most of the work myself since it was an old 1980-1996 F-series pick-up and not a modren car or truck which are alot more dealer dependant for pretty much everything these days.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,751,562 times
Quote:
When I see how much some spent on their tuner/ricer I wonder did they steal the money or borrow it from daddy? With that amount of cash, couldn't they have bought a good new car fully loaded instead of jacking up a beat up used car? And wouldn't that money have been better spent moving out of mommy and daddy's house? IF I wanted to fix up my car I would not spend more than half the blue book value of the car. Some of those guys spent more than the value of the car when it was new!
Eh, I think that when I see a 17-22 year old kid in a brand-new Lexus IS350 that's been painted matte black, has $3000 modular VIP-style rims wrapped in P-Zeros, has a bumpin' stereo with W7's in the trunk and vynil for all the high-end companies whose stuff he has in there and then the name/logo of his weak-ass crew who could probably get eaten in the canyons by a soccer mom in a Pacifica.

When I see a kid in a Maaco-yellow Civic hatch with lame stickers and a fart can & giant FRP wing on the back, I think that he probably pours half of every paycheck from Taco Bell onto (not into) his ride and thinks he's cool... the same way that people think that Slipknot is a really badass metal band because they wear scary masks, or WWE guys are real fighters because they wear speedos and spiked bracelets. It's a maturity thing.

Most tuners I know work their butts off to get their cars built up. $1000 for a 240SX with a tired engine; $1500 for an SR20DET; $500 for a bigger turbo and $250 for a bigger intercooler, then you and some buddies spend a weekend drinking beer with the car up on jacks... you can't touch a new Mustang for the combined value of all that, but you can take that 240SX and eat it on a track, now.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,751,562 times
Quote:
I think that would make you a tuner. Wheels are fine unless they're way too big for the wheel wells.
Yeah, as soon as you start needing to think of rolling your fenders, you need to drop an inch.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,625,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
attitude is what makes a ricer, not the performance mods to the car. tune the engine, and the suspension, and leave the body kits, fart can exhaust tips, and fugly wheels to the show car types, and you will be ok.

the ricer craze has been, thankfully, fading into the past. now its back to jacked up 4x4's that will never see dirt roads in their life.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,102,649 times
I went to one of the larger car shows at a speedway here a few weeks ago and there was a small ricer section. They were bragging about their "JDM lug nuts", tiny TV screens on the inside of the taillights, and other useless nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive