U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,629,055 times

Advertisements

So does anyone who knows the business think I'm wrong on this?

You get a brand-new Accord with the entire factory warranty, they replace the broken glass and get the insides dried out and cleaned out, and you save money.

Do you think I'm missing anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 01:44 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,241,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Looking at your choice of cars, that goes without saying.

I know Id have eons of regret from having to drive one of those cars, let alone hand over my hard earned money for one. The way I see it is, you live up to 4 years of your life in a car. Its a tool used to get away, for freedom, to see the world in. Have some fun!
Yeah cuz everyone should see the world and have fun in the same kind of car
I drove my Honda from coast to coast and enjoyed every second of it

Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 AM

7,303 posts, read 22,769,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
The 2012 is a complete turd, a dud and is brand new and is already behind the competition. It looks horrid and the interior is worse. SMH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
new 2012 redesign has shady build quality, very disappointed with Honda right now with this cookie cutter new Civic.
I's get a 2011 Civic. Great on gas super reliable, excellent build quality and unlike the 2012 Civic the previous Civics dont looks like a Mazda 3 crapped out a Pontiac G6.
Quote:
the new 2012 Civic is crap, but I'm not a ricer, I just enjoy saving money by owning a fuel efficient car that gets me from a to b with no upkeep, if that makes me a "ricer" then bring on the chop sticks!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, I have researched more on the '12 Civic and looked at them. There is no doubt that its not up to par when compared to some of the competition. I think what was so appealing to me on those cars is that I could get all of the options available without having to get leather interior, etc. Seems like most cars in order to get alot of high end options, you have to opt for the ones with leather interior. With the Civic, you can get an EX with cloth interior, but with every other option available. With the Accord for example, you have to get an EX-L with leather before you can get every option like navigation, etc. I do think that you can get a Nissan Sentra though with cloth and all of the other goodies, as well as the Hyundai Sonata GLS, with cloth, but you can get everything on it as well that you can get on the Limited (minus the fancy wheels and leather interior).
Well my first impression on the Civic (2012) was I noticed that the dash panel had alot of cheap looking plastics, but it still looks to be well assembled. I dont know why Honda "cheapened" the look of it, but this seems to have been the trend since 1996. They got safer as years went on, but interior materials got cheaper. Its really not only Civic either... I have been reading online on new cars and the new 2011 Jetta gets alot of negative reviews from car magazines, etc for "cheapening" up the interior of the new Jetta. They all say the 2011 has a cheaper looking interior, cheaper looking plastics, etc than the 2010 model. Also, I was looking more at the '11 Sentra, '11 Corolla and even those have about of cheap looking interior plastics as the new Civic and the car reports like Edmunds say the same thing, but I have not looked at one closely.

I figured I could get past the cheaper looking interior in the '12 Civic, as long as its reliable and well assembled. Its really not been out long enough yet for anyone to know much on its reliability, but it does get some of the best MPG ratings I have seen on things I am interested in... its rated 28/39. Again, I liked that I could get an EX model with cloth and all of the goodies. Not a fan of leather interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
that hail damage is insane
Absolutely, all of the cars were battered... these were the worst in town.... the further north and west in town you go, the lower the damage is, but ALL of our new car dealerships were hit with hail damage. The Toyota dealer got the least damage on the far west end of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So does anyone who knows the business think I'm wrong on this?

You get a brand-new Accord with the entire factory warranty, they replace the broken glass and get the insides dried out and cleaned out, and you save money.

Do you think I'm missing anything?
Yeah, if I could get one that didnt have any windows shattered (wet interior), I would go for it, if the price was right. Every car on the lot had at least one broken window... I would say that 95% had broken (some battered) front windshields, about 70% had shattered rear windows, 40% shattered side windows. The few with only front windshields broken would be OK.

Quote:
Yeah cuz everyone should see the world and have fun in the same kind of car
I drove my Honda from coast to coast and enjoyed every second of it

I have looked more at the Sonata as well. My cousin has had one for about a year and loves it. Its the 2011 model. She already has like 22K and not any problems. I had asked her awhile ago if she still liked it and would do it again and she said yes! She got her GLS for $19K out the door.

To sum it up, I think I am leaning now toward the Sonata GLS (I can get this base model, but loaded with features for $21K) or the Altima 2.5 SL (would be more $ though and would not have navi and I wonder if I would like the CVT tranny?)... this would run me about $24K, or go with the Tacoma SR5 2wd access cab, which again would run about $23K. Hyundai Sonata has the most standard features, lowest price, and the best warranty (10 year 100K mile power train). Guess its the resell value that concerns me on the Hyundai.

Someone mentioned the '12 Altima around the corner and the '12 Tacoma... sure wish they would hurry!

Want to thank everyone again for the info!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 PM

18,141 posts, read 16,661,184 times
Don't expect a new Tacoma until 2013.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,581,306 times
Holy crap, I was going to comment on what car you should get, but the pics stole the show. Are these hailstorms common in that part of the country? If so, dent repair guys must make a killing.

Oh yea, if money and fuel economy isn't a issue, of course get a Tundra, trucks are great

Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM

3,321 posts, read 9,348,129 times
My boyfriend has a new Cruze LT2 and we love it. We both had large SUV's before.....I went to an Equinox and he went w/the Cruze. You definitely have to go test drive one. At first we weren't intersted in a small car at all, and even after sitting in one at the dealership my opinion was that the interior was nice (way nicer than the Cobalt/Cavalier), but too small for someone tall like me (5'11").

The boyfriend also wasn't really interested in the Cruze at first (he's 6'4"). One day he was dropping his friend off at the local plant in Lordstown, Ohio (where they assemble the Cruze) and and the friend snuck him in for a tour. After seeing the assembly process he really liked the look of the car, but still wasn't sold. Then while he was at work one day a customer showed up w/a brand new Cruze (they are selling like crazy here) and he let him sit in it. After adjusting the seat he felt like he had lots of leg room and the next day went down to the local dealership to test drive one. That day he drove off in a brand new, LT2 w/leather interior, moon-roof, heated seats, usb port for the ipod, etc. The day after that we took the new car on a 6hr drive to Chicago and we fell in love w/it, it's so fun to drive! Don't take my word for it though, go try one out yourself.........

Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Holy crap, I was going to comment on what car you should get, but the pics stole the show. Are these hailstorms common in that part of the country? If so, dent repair guys must make a killing.

Oh yea, if money and fuel economy isn't a issue, of course get a Tundra, trucks are great
There was a tornado and storms that went through that area recently. My parents were driving through VA to NC the other day on Rt-81 and there were chopped off trees and damage everywhere from the tornados.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Don't expect a new Tacoma until 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post

No, hail of this size is not common around here thank God. We havent had hail damage since 2002 until this. (at least at my house).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
My boyfriend has a new Cruze LT2 and we love it.
Yeah, all of the rave about it has my interested. I have yet to drive or even set in one. I hear that the interior materials and build quality are impeccable. I looked at them at a local dealer about a week ago. One I really liked was a gold one, but it had a imperfection on the passenger front fender, it was in the paint. It was like they painted over a bug or something and it had dried. The dealer had circled it with a grease pen, I suppose for repairs.

I only dislike that you have to get at least the LT2 to get the navigation system. I know I can go aftermarket (and I have one), but really would like to have a factory navigation. My dislike with the LT2 is that I am not a fan of leather interior. I wish I could get the LS or LT1 with navigation or the LT2 with cloth interior. Most cars are like that though, navigation is only optional on the top-level models. I will still check one out though, maybe I can live with leather interior... my current car has it.

Quote:
There was a tornado and storms that went through that area recently. My parents were driving through VA to NC the other day on I-81 and there were chopped off trees and damage everywhere from the tornados.
Indeed... the tornado stuck 29 miles northeast of my house as well as 30 miles southwest of my house. Thankfully when it came over our area it was not touching the ground. Too bad the same cannot be said for those in Washington Co VA or Greene Co TN. Its like a war zone on either side of me. We were lucky we only had the damaging hail. Some areas in town had major wind damage. Trees fallen on homes, cars, etc. Many areas ravaged.

------

Upon more research I am leaning more toward the Sonata GLS. My cousin has one and loves it. I like the fact that I can get the base model with optional navigation and it has standard blue-tooth and XM radio. It also has better MPG and more HP than the Altima (and the Sonata is heavier than the Altima, yet the Sonata still gets better MPG) and has the best warranty in the business. Lastly, its about $5000 less than an Altima if I got it equally optioned.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 05-04-2011 at 06:48 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 06:41 PM

^My LT2 Equinox had leather standard, but ordered one and got the cloth, i also opted out of the gps because i already own a garmin and my cell has gps too. I really didn't want to pay the extra cash for something that was going to get outdated when i already have 2 others. Maybe if you order one you can get what you want, or just try building one on the website, you should be able to get cloth instead of leather.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
^My LT2 Equinox had leather standard, but ordered one and got the cloth, i also opted out of the gps because i already own a garmin and my cell has gps too. I really didn't want to pay the extra cash for something that was going to get outdated when i already have 2 others. Maybe if you order one you can get what you want, or just try building one on the website, you should be able to get cloth instead of leather.
Thanks. Yeah, if I decided what I wanted and paid in advance, I could probably get one special ordered. I did go to the website to "build your own" and when you click on like the LS Cruze or the LT1, it dont even bring up the navigation option. Same in the brochures, if you look at things like navigation it simply says "not available on certain models" or available on LT2 or LTZ only.

One thing I hate about Altima is that you have to get the 2.5 SL (which adds alot of convenience packages and the SL package which adds leather, etc before you can get the technology package... at that rate, before you know it, you have a $29,000 4-cylinder Altima!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or