U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM

5,298 posts, read 20,759,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I could always go with Supertech from Walmart. HA!!!
I actually used Supertech and cheap filters in one car for many years... it was recently sold with over 100K miles on it and still runs very well with no oil consumption. As long as the oil is the proper rating it is adequate for the vast majority of applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 AM

4,227 posts, read 20,353,958 times
Another thing, anyone know if Royal Purple had added zinc to it for flat tappet cams?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:02 PM

7,780 posts, read 17,835,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Another thing, anyone know if Royal Purple had added zinc to it for flat tappet cams?

This is taken from their web site, deez..

Can your oil be used with flat tappet cams?

Yes. For stock or mildly modified flat tappet valve trains (<.525 lift), we recommend our SAE 10W40, 15W40 or 20W50 engine oils. In applications with flat tappet valve trains using high-lift cams and/or high RPM applications, we strongly recommend upgrading to our XPR line of engine oils as these have an even greater concentration of ZDDP providing excellent protection with the higher spring pressures. For a viscosity recommendation, contact our Tech Dept. at 888-382-6300.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM

33,198 posts, read 39,260,099 times
From a probably biased Amsoil testing of various oils heres their conclusion =

Conclusion by FRR

"Although we've provided criteria to pick and choose an oil, the stand-out to us appears to be AMSOIL, rating well in the viscosity and producing good horsepower.
"With the variety of grades, use this test as a guide but always follow the manufacturers recommendation. But if we were to stick our neck out in the anticipation of the law suits, from the information we gathered specific to the supplied oils in this test, we'd rate the oils in the following order: [
#1 AMSOIL
#2 BP Visco 5000
#3 Mobil 1
#4 Mobil 1
#5 Hi-Tec HTO
#6 Shell Helix Ultra
#7 Royal Purple
#8 Castrol R
#9 Castrol SLX
#10 Torco

[Heres the whole link===]Synthetic Oil Comparison - AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Castrol, Redline etc.

Another source for more oil info would be the Bobs the oil guy site,particularly their forum
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,349,356 times
Quote:
Just curious. How does it compare to Amsoil and M1?
Presume you mean only full synthetic.

I have and also use Mobile 1 and recently Valvoline full synthetic. Never used Amsoil. German Castrol as well.

All good. RP overpriced for what it is. They have catchy marketing. Buy it when discounted. All of the above are discounted sooner or later by the chains or online. Just shop smart.

From a tech standpoint probably German Castrol trumps all the above other brands.

Oh, this is in a 2004 GTO and 1991 Mustang 5.0. Both very high performance.

You would need to send oil samples to a lab for testing to know which was best and that is presuming similar climate and driving use inbetween changes.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,580,741 times
I was kidding about Supertech. I wouldn't put that crap in my lawnmower. I had a transmission replaced in a mail car a few years back and I found out later that he filled it with Supertech trans fluid. The tranny lasted 10K. After that, I vowed never to use their crap again.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,335,514 times
Quote:
I was kidding about Supertech. I wouldn't put that crap in my lawnmower. I had a transmission replaced in a mail car a few years back and I found out later that he filled it with Supertech trans fluid. The tranny lasted 10K. After that, I vowed never to use their crap again.
I don't use Supertech but I guarantee you the problem here wasn't the fluid itself.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,580,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I don't use Supertech but I guarantee you the problem here wasn't the fluid itself.

Probably not, but I am sure the bargain basement fluid didn't help matters. People who care about their engines won't use products like Supertech.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,740,959 times
I usually use Supertech high mileage (occasionally Castrol GTX high mileage but it costs almost twice as much) in my '02 Chevy 1500 (4.3) in between oil changes as there is a leak and possible some usage (about 3/4 quart every 3000-3500 miles). Doesn't seem to be a problem and most high mile oils are semi synthetic (I get conventional at changes and don't want to mix). All I care about really is the API rating and viscosity; I don't worry about brand much.

I care about my 4.3 engine...has 187K on it. Only maintenance the truck gets is the oil changed. Suspension is completely original, transmission hasn't been worked on in 135K and usually runs okay, only on the third set of brakes all around. Body hasn't been washed (in Michigan) in two years or more, but yes, I do care about the engine and it seems to run well. It's lost some performance but it's cheaper than a car payment.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,835,950 times
Quote:
Probably not, but I am sure the bargain basement fluid didn't help matters. People who care about their engines won't use products like Supertech.
using supertech every 3k miles is a FAR cry better then a better quality oil being changed every 10k miles THATS for darn sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive