U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 06:41 AM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times

Advertisements

Someone near work here got into a disagreement with another driver whom flashed a gun a her. She called the cops whom pulled over the car a few miles away....guy had others in the car with him including a gal and kid.

After they got out, he tried to speed off running down a cop in the process and they shot him dead. (Yes, there was a gun in the car)

Moral to the story: When dealing with losers, you can't win. I mean would you bet your car on a coin flip against me if my bet were an old banana peel?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,142,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I wonder if people who are "carrying" tend to be more aggressive drivers and more likley to flip people off, since they have the confidence of a gun backing them up if the flippee decides to get even or something.
I am pretty sure that "carrying" does up the Macho factor a few points.
Isn't that the reason some "carry" in the first place?

Pretty sure the one finger salute was invented in NJ but since very few "carry" nobody is afraid of the "hello" gesture.

In NC everybody seems to possess hand held "courage" so saluting your fellow driver might be not be such a good idea.

Just saying.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 AM

861 posts, read 2,293,839 times
I really wish I would have seen the whole message before the mods "edited" it. I've had my fair share of run in's with stupid people. I had a guy on the hwy speed up in the right lane and trying to cut me off but didn't make it. Not my fault I had the cruise set. He sat on my bumper for the next 20 miles or so. I finally got tired of it and slowed down until he went around and got in front of me then he slammed on the brakes stopping in the middle of the hwy. Obviously wanting me to hit him.

I went around him, flipped him off and kept going. I Pulled off to get gas about 20 miles later and this guy pulls in nose to nose with me and jumped out of his car yelling and screaming. It was almost comical. This guy was all of about 5'5" and 120 lbs. I calmly stepped out and started walking toward him. When he realized how big I was got back in his car and drove off in a hurry knocking over a garbage can and breaking a tail light in the process.

After that I decided it was just best to carry everywhere I go (out of state)... 99% of People are just plain stupid..

Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 AM

861 posts, read 2,293,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I wonder if people who are "carrying" tend to be more aggressive drivers and more likley to flip people off, since they have the confidence of a gun backing them up if the flippee decides to get even or something.

I would seriously doubt it. Yes there are a lot of idiots that carry and most likley shouldn't but the responsibility that comes with owning and carrying a firearm changes you in ways I can't describe.

When I'm carrying (out of state obviously) my attitude is different. A firearm is there to protect you when needed but the last thing any of us ever want to do is have to use it.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
I flipped off the town mayor once. Oops. Especially since I was a newspaper reporter covering city hall at the time. Good thing she didn't have a gun!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,349,013 times
Be careful who you pull your weapon on

Tailgater has gun, but so does tailgatee
No charges filed after road rage incident ends in shooting; victim critical | News | Hardin County News

Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 AM

24,718 posts, read 59,596,711 times
There are a lot of reasons to not flip somone off.

I once bumped into a woman an an elevator. I said sorry and she snarled at me. I wanted to snap back but I did not. I got off on a floor below my destination and went to the bathroom to check my hair. THen I went up to the job interview. Guess who was interviewing me?

Had that been a traffic incident and I had flipped her off, no job.

At a light, a guy opened his window and yelled at me because he felt I cut around him too closely. I thought that he was full of defecation, and he should not have been driving 55 in the fast lane, but I just said "Sorry I have a really important appointment with a new client and I cannot afford to be late." No, he was not the new client, but he did work at the company. When I walked in, he waved and said "I hope that I did not make you late" It could have been very different.

Nothing good can come from flipping somone off, but you never know when something bad may come of it. Did their wife just leave them and they just got fired and now you flip them off and they "carry"? By the time you realize that they ar shooting you, it is too late to open your glove box, get your gun, flip off the safety, aim and shoot them first, you are already down.

Are you going to run into them a week later when you are trying to accomplish something and you need their goodwill to do it? You never know. Why have that risk?

I cannot think of one good thing that could ever come from flipping something off. Therefore, I just smile and wave. If someone yells at me, I just say I am really sorry. If they say I am a crummy driver or an idiot, I just agree with them even if they are wrong. Tell them sorry and I hope that I did not ruin their day. Sometimes I just say "Yeah we all make dumb mistakes sometimes." Then I can think "and the mistake bak there was yours not mine" but I do not need to say it. What difference does it make? It does not hurt me in the least to agree with them or smile even if I am really ticked, and someday it might be the wisest choice I ever made. Never not even once will it ever do good to antgonize someone who is already irrationally angry.

The sole exception is if there was an accident. Then of course you do not want to admit or concede anything until you know all of the facts and talk to a lawyer. But you still do nto need to antagonize anyone, just say nothing.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 AM

24,718 posts, read 59,596,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I really wish I would have seen the whole message before the mods "edited" it. I've had my fair share of run in's with stupid people. I had a guy on the hwy speed up in the right lane and trying to cut me off but didn't make it. Not my fault I had the cruise set. He sat on my bumper for the next 20 miles or so. I finally got tired of it and slowed down until he went around and got in front of me then he slammed on the brakes stopping in the middle of the hwy. Obviously wanting me to hit him.

I went around him, flipped him off and kept going. I Pulled off to get gas about 20 miles later and this guy pulls in nose to nose with me and jumped out of his car yelling and screaming. It was almost comical. This guy was all of about 5'5" and 120 lbs. I calmly stepped out and started walking toward him. When he realized how big I was got back in his car and drove off in a hurry knocking over a garbage can and breaking a tail light in the process.

After that I decided it was just best to carry everywhere I go (out of state)... 99% of People are just plain stupid..
So next time someone yells at you, you will shoot them or even point the gun at them and go to jail for the next three years or the rest of your life? Do you realize that if you point your gun at them when they are yelling at you, they can shoot you and likely not get into trouble?

You cannot shoot someone or even point a gun at them for yelling at you. Yelling at you is not a crime. Being angry about something that was their own fault is not a crime. Even stopping in the middle of the road, or cutting someone off is not a crime (it is a civil infraction). Pointing a gun at someone is assault. You will likely get 18 months to three years for that. However you will get out in about six months, so maybe it is worth it you you to give up six months for the satisfaction of scaring the guy.

Is it so hard to swallow your pride and say something like "Gosh you seem really angry. I am sorry that you are so angry. I hope your day gets better." Sometimes they end up realizing how foolish they are being and they will even apologize. Much better than the OK corral and years in prison.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
My wife doesn't flip people off, she has settled on sticking her tongue out and doing that thing were you put your hands on the side of your head like antlers. It tends to elicite two responses. Either the person laughs and the situation is defused or they get really angry and speed off. Me, I'm more a finger and horn kind of person, with the occasional window roll down to let them know how I really feel.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 AM

554 posts, read 1,306,060 times
I just let it roll off my back. Life is to darn short to get shot at over a traffic infraction. Just this morning, my son who is learning how to drive got a maniac tailgating us half way to school. Finally they drove on the wrong side of the street to get around us and they almost hit oncoming traffic. I was very proud of my kiddo, it didn't even phase him. He even joked that it was probably one of his teachers. Sure enough, we all turned into the same parking lot. I hope they got embarrassed for driving like a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive