U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 AM

861 posts, read 2,294,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
So next time someone yells at you, you will shoot them or even point the gun at them and go to jail for the next three years or the rest of your life? Do you realize that if you point your gun at them when they are yelling at you, they can shoot you and likely not get into trouble?

You cannot shoot someone or even point a gun at them for yelling at you. Yelling at you is not a crime. Being angry about something that was their own fault is not a crime. Even stopping in the middle of the road, or cutting someone off is not a crime (it is a civil infraction). Pointing a gun at someone is assault. You will likely get 18 months to three years for that. However you will get out in about six months, so maybe it is worth it you you to give up six months for the satisfaction of scaring the guy.

Is it so hard to swallow your pride and say something like "Gosh you seem really angry. I am sorry that you are so angry. I hope your day gets better." Sometimes they end up realizing how foolish they are being and they will even apologize. Much better than the OK corral and years in prison.
No kidding... Really....!!!!!!!!

People carry, I carry for personal protection. I never said anything about shooting anyone. In fact if you had read the next post you would see where I said that the last thing any of us want to do is ever have to use our weapon.

Consider this. What would have happened if the nut job that cut me off, attempted to cause and accident then followed me 20 miles to the gas station had a weapon of some kind? What if he had gotten out of his car with a firearm. Then I would have full right to defend myself and my family.

I'm fully aware of laws for brandishing a weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 AM

24,720 posts, read 59,631,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
No kidding... Really....!!!!!!!!

People carry, I carry for personal protection. I never said anything about shooting anyone. In fact if you had read the next post you would see where I said that the last thing any of us want to do is ever have to use our weapon.

Consider this. What would have happened if the nut job that cut me off, attempted to cause and accident then followed me 20 miles to the gas station had a weapon of some kind? What if he had gotten out of his car with a firearm. Then I would have full right to defend myself and my family.

I'm fully aware of laws for brandishing a weapon.
What would have happened? He would have shot you long before you got back in your get to get your gun out. If you did mange to get to your gun before he shot you, he could then claim self defense. Whipping out a gun is foolish and dangerous almost always. It may be a good idea to have one at home to protect yourself against invaders, but carrying a gun in your car rarely leads to good things.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM

861 posts, read 2,294,452 times
Quote:
What would have happened? He would have shot you long before you got back in your get to get your gun out. If you did mange to get to your gun before he shot you, he could then claim self defense. Whipping out a gun is foolish and dangerous almost always. It may be a good idea to have one at home to protect yourself against invaders, but carrying a gun in your car rarely leads to good things.
I'm going to guess you're opposed to civilians having the right to carry so there is little point in continuing this conversation. I sincerely hope you're never in a situation where the cops are needed. Most of the time they're at least 3 mins away and you'll find that to be 2 mins 59 secs too late.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,124,493 times
Quote:

"Man's has got to know his limitations."

YouTube - Eastwood- A Man's Got to Know his Limitations

Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM

568 posts, read 1,828,052 times
I've tried to be careful with my finger in recent years. The back windows on all my vehicles are extremely dark tinted to the point that nobody behind can see through them no matter how much light is coming in through the front. So, if someone is behind me, I can flip them off, making me feel better about life, but since they can't see me doing it, they're not going to flip out. If someone is in front of me, I'll often flip off my dashboard. Again, it makes me feel better, but they don't see me doing it.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 AM

11,638 posts, read 17,050,201 times
Quote:
I really wish I would have seen the whole message before the mods "edited" it..
I know because it kind of takes away from the drama a little .
Basically, The lady was yelling at me from her window. She Yelled tons of racial slurs and other profanities. ( I hoped I was allowed to write that at least..)

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM

11,638 posts, read 17,050,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I flipped off the town mayor once. Oops. Especially since I was a newspaper reporter covering city hall at the time. Good thing she didn't have a gun!

haha, what did the mayor do??

Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM

421 posts, read 744,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Best thing to do if you get someone like this is pull over and get out of your car. 99.9% of the time someone elseis a tough guy in their car when they have an easy getaway and are protected by the car but once challenged will speed off.

Keep in mind 0.01% of the time they will get out of the car with a gun lol.

I recently had a somewhat similar sitation I stopped and got out of my car and the guy became really timid. I told him don't flip people off and act like a tough guy if your not going to get out of your car and box. Same to you, if you aren't ready to deal with the consequences don't flip people off.
I guess you have in mind somewhere far from Southern California...?
Once, years ago, I thought I was a tough guy, driving around L.A. in my 'souped' El Camino. My unofficial rule was that only Corvettes got respect. One night, a guy cut me off in a Firebird, I chased him across town, he pulls over, hops out and levels a sawed-off at me while smiling. I quickly U-turned with a changed perspective on life...

Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM

10,755 posts, read 25,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I know because it kind of takes away from the drama a little .
Basically, The lady was yelling at me from her window. She Yelled tons of racial slurs and other profanities. ( I hoped I was allowed to write that at least..)
Yes, you are, but it doesn't need to be graphic. The filter *** out profanity, and with racial slurs, that can derail a thread. It has nothing to do with being PC, but this is an Automotive forum, so it doesn't need to be charged because that tends to cause other issues unrelated to your thread/experience to manifest.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Quote:
What if he had gotten out of his car with a firearm. Then I would have full right to defend myself and my family.

You mean "What if we were both carrying?"

Well, then you would both deserve what you get, and there's a 50-50 chance that he's quicker than you are.

Everybody who is "carrying" is the good guy, and responsible, and well-trained with firearms, and knows how to use the gun. Right? Or is it only you? You can't have it both ways.

The other guy gets out of his car, and YOU are carrying. Now he has to defend himself against you---the reason he carries is to defend his family from you, but he "hopes he never has to use it". But now he does. But you're the tough guy, who's not going to shoot last.

Would you shoot an unarmed man, just because he confronted you verbally in a gas station? Would you shoot an armed man? Would you shoot first? If you would shoot first, and you were carrying with the intent of shooting first, what does that make you? A murderer? A homicidal maniac? Or just a sad disillusioned fool, out looking for trouble. In other words . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The very reason why I carry.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-26-2011 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive