U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,930,459 times

Advertisements

Sometimes a certain vehicle brand brings back fond memories at least it does for me.
As some of you may know, I have a particular fondness for Cadillac's and always have since I was a little tike. My grandpappy, as far back as I can recall, ALWAYS drove a Cadillac, mostly Deville's. Even though Cadillac has seen some tough times going back 10-20 years ago, I have such fond memories of the cars because of my experiences when I was little. My grandpappy and I going to get plumbing supplies at a local hardware store (he was a plumber) or on a summer day, going out for ice cream at a drive-in. My grandpappy was a very hardworking man and made his money the old fashioned way, he valued craftsmanship and detail and also felt my grandmammy deserved the best as well.

I still have a place in my heart for the big, full-sized Cadillacs because of my fond memories of going with him.

Anyone else have similar feelings or stories about a certain brand or vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:42 PM

105 posts, read 425,877 times
I'm sorry if this is for a certain brand, not brands but here is mine.

For me my parents would talk about particular cars, particularly Mercedes and BMW when the topic came up. I remember them talking about a past trip somewhere and them seeing some Toyota rear end a Mercedes and the Mercedes stood its ground like nothing happened. I have happened to see 2 crashes involving these cars, one where a little C230 (the most basic model from the 90s) survive a crash involving a late model large sedan that just crumpled. The other where a 98 BMW 740il crashed into a utility pole at 50 mph and the car basically saved the guys life. Another story would be Land Rover. My moms particular friend influenced me on this one because he was part of everything Land Rover, and it amazed me how these trucks can go anywhere, anytime. I believe he had a Discovery II.

We didn't have the best cars in the past, but now we own both BMW and Mercedes. My father wanted my mom to be safe, and his son (me) to be safe as well. Our next car will be one of the three brands. Most people buy for the brand name, but we buy for the safety, and attention to detail.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,431,459 times
Yea, but where do I get a Packard or a Studebaker?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,575,562 times
Sure, Chrysler products thanks to my grandfather and to some extent my father. Grandpa had complete loyalty to Chrysler, primarily Plymouth products, always buying the most stripped low budget model he could find. Not that he was poor but being the old coal miner he was he knew the value of stretching a dollar. He had a '50 that ran until he bought a '63 which kept him going until he bought a '73.

Dad had a variety of cars over the years with no real preference other than price but Mopars included a '54 Dodge Royal, '64 Belvedere, '73 Satellite and an '80 Volare. An uncle had a '57 Belvedere and a '69 Fury.

Doing some reverse research it seems they got an average ten years or so out of a Mopar without major repairs or junking, six years out of an average GM product before junking and five or less out of a Ford product before it needed a motor or the frame went bad. The only real dud was the '80 Volare which suffered from problems most manufacturers self-inflicted on themselves back then.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,238,707 times
In the 70's and 80's my parents always drove Toyota's. In the 90's-2000's switched to Honda's. I love my Honda and very fond of her

My Dad always had muscle cars for toys, but all our commuters were Toyota & Honda.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,754,530 times
I can say I dont like Fords because of my Dad.

He had an old Ford and he said it was junk, an oil burner. Then he got a 1969 Ford station wagon that he was always fixing.

So Fords were nothing but trouble for him. So I dont consider buying Fords.

My Dad did have a VW beetle (1965 model, I think, still had the flush headlights), for many years (until I wrecked it), so I have a fondness for VWs, at least the old beetles,

Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 PM

18,101 posts, read 16,645,847 times
I know lots of people who drive Ford or Chevy trucks only because their fathers drove them and their fathers drove them. they would never consider another brand. My brother-in-law used to wear a hat that said "I'd rather push a chevy than drive a ford". He now drives a Nissan.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:26 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,798,753 times
Not really, honestly.

MG's. But we rarely actually drove those.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:57 PM

10,755 posts, read 25,549,656 times
Land Rovers and Jaguars, which is the only reason why so many in my family have complete blinders on with respect to things like reliability, and an absence of weird problems. When I was very small, I used to think that a ghost had taken up residence in my grandmother's Silver Shadow, so there is a bit of nostalgia with respect to that series of RR.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 AM

1,739 posts, read 4,826,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Yea, but where do I get a Packard or a Studebaker?
I could get you one. I'm selling my '50 Studebaker 3/4. I know of some different Studebakers and Packards for sale including a '53 Packard hearse and '50 Studebaker coupe which I'm thinking of getting for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or