Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 PM

24,377 posts, read 25,888,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Its silly to pay any one to work on your car. Spend the $300 or so and get the FSM, learn to do it your self. If you can read, and follow directions(with pictures) you can do anything on your car(with the exception of transmission or head work ). The money you spend on the books, will pay for them selfs after one use.
This is the typical "macho" response. One needs to look at extenuating issues.

In ny case:

1. The latest is just plain old age. Nuff said.

2. When you drive 60 - 70 K miles per year, it becomes pretty tough keeping the family happy when you fall asleep under the "belly of the beast" when you are just changing the oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,763,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Car dealers are always much higher then other places to take your car in. They work hard to make you believe that they know your car better then anyone.
I had trouble with my Cylstler Sebring where the water was mixing with the oil, had to replace the main head gasket and after $2,500 in car repairs at a local repairs shop it was so screwed up, the engine light was on and it wasn't running right. He said his computer wasn't talking to the car's computer. I took it to the dealer and for another $1,500 they straightened everything out.

For simple things like breaks, struts and other non-computer related issues, your local mechanic is fine. But when you get into computerized engine control related issues, I would only trust the dealer to do that.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,199 times
I have a 2006 Hyundai about to turn 60K. My local dealer, a multi-brand superstore, seems high priced on any service that needs done. The owner of the dealership told me it was because they spend lots of money training their service people unlike private shops and that his repairmen were all certified.

Well, I have found several certified independent service shops right here in Vallejo. Their prices are about a third less than the dealership and I have never driven away feeling abused. In my opinion, the dealership is only good for warranty work or maybe to buy another new car.

If I were you, I would definitely look for a private shop. Ask your associates for recommendations. They must be taking care of their car too. I see a lot of older cars still on the roads.

As long as you keep your receipts for all scheduled maintenance, your warranty is not voided. You have the right to have your vehicle serviced elsewhere. And if you save some money, that's smart because times are hard. Good luck!

Last edited by davealanbrown; 01-22-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM

27 posts, read 124,785 times
1.There is no such thing as " Certified" , Unless you think printing Masters degrees on a plain paper copier makes Tom, Dick or Harry eligible for Magna *** Lade.

2. $600.00 to check all of the things your old man used to do by himself when he jacked the family car up in the garage on a Saturday afternoon is pretty cheap if you have no idea what you are doing.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
I like this tread..wish I found it before it Died

Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,972,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata and it is about hit 60K miles. I have cancel 2 Hyundai dealers about the 60K mile service and they say it will cost between $550 to $650 plus sparks plugs replacement if needed. To a frugal person like me it seems a bit expensive.

I have actually called 3 independent auto repair places. All place say I need to bring in the car for 30 mins+ (I guess 1-2 hours+ in reality) for an inspection first. Only after they looks they will tell me how much it costs, they have no estimate. Should I actually go in wait for them to check out? Not sure if it will be waste of time?

Or should I just go to dealership and pay up? At least then it will be automatically in the warranty records for the future.

Here is full list from Hyundai on what needs to be done at 60k:

60,000 Mile Factory Severe Conditions Service

• Inspect Air Conditioning Refrigerant
  • Inspect Brake Fluid
  • Inspect Brake Hoses and Lines
  • Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors
  • Inspect Driveshafts and Boots
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipe and Muffler
  • Inspect Fuel Lines, Fuel Hoses, and Connections
  • Inspect Power Steering Pump, Belt and Hoses
  • Inspect Rear Brake Drums/Linings,Parking Brake
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box, Linkage & Boots/Lower Arm Ball
  • Joint
  • Inspect Suspension Mounting Bolts
  • Inspect Tire Pressure and Condition
  • Inspect Vacuum Hose
  • Inspect Valve Clearance
  • Inspect Vapor Hose and Fuel Filler Cap
  • Inspect or Replace Climate Control Air Filter/Air Conditioning
  • Filter (for evaporator and blower unit)
  • Replace Air Cleaner Filter
  • Replace Automatic Transaxle Fluid
  • Replace Coolant
  • Replace Drive Belt 2.4L
  • Replace Engine Oil and Filter 2.4L
  • Replace Fuel Tank Air Filter
  • Tire Rotation (note I get this free where I bought my tires)
Reasonable and necessary.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:10 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,759,669 times
That price is very much in-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive