U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM

606 posts, read 1,484,392 times

Advertisements

I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata and it is about hit 60K miles. I have cancel 2 Hyundai dealers about the 60K mile service and they say it will cost between $550 to $650 plus sparks plugs replacement if needed. To a frugal person like me it seems a bit expensive.

I have actually called 3 independent auto repair places. All place say I need to bring in the car for 30 mins+ (I guess 1-2 hours+ in reality) for an inspection first. Only after they looks they will tell me how much it costs, they have no estimate. Should I actually go in wait for them to check out? Not sure if it will be waste of time?

Or should I just go to dealership and pay up? At least then it will be automatically in the warranty records for the future.

Here is full list from Hyundai on what needs to be done at 60k:

60,000 Mile Factory Severe Conditions Service

• Inspect Air Conditioning Refrigerant
  • Inspect Brake Fluid
  • Inspect Brake Hoses and Lines
  • Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors
  • Inspect Driveshafts and Boots
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipe and Muffler
  • Inspect Fuel Lines, Fuel Hoses, and Connections
  • Inspect Power Steering Pump, Belt and Hoses
  • Inspect Rear Brake Drums/Linings,Parking Brake
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box, Linkage & Boots/Lower Arm Ball
  • Joint
  • Inspect Suspension Mounting Bolts
  • Inspect Tire Pressure and Condition
  • Inspect Vacuum Hose
  • Inspect Valve Clearance
  • Inspect Vapor Hose and Fuel Filler Cap
  • Inspect or Replace Climate Control Air Filter/Air Conditioning
  • Filter (for evaporator and blower unit)
  • Replace Air Cleaner Filter
  • Replace Automatic Transaxle Fluid
  • Replace Coolant
  • Replace Drive Belt 2.4L
  • Replace Engine Oil and Filter 2.4L
  • Replace Fuel Tank Air Filter
  • Tire Rotation (note I get this free where I bought my tires)

Last edited by unseengundam; 05-01-2011 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 PM

14,760 posts, read 18,084,357 times
Find another place to take it, but don't start checking every place you find. Ask friends, relatives and co-workers for a recommendation.

A co-worker took in her Mitsubishi SUV for an oil change (at dealer), and they recommended the 90,000 mile service since it was at 88,000. They wanted just under $1,200 and it included changing all fluids, even power steering
and coolant. I recommended she try a local independent that I use and is very honest. She ended up getting out of there at just over $400. He tested the coolant and found it fine down to 20 below and said the power steering fluid looked like new. He also said that a hose will usually blow at a bit over 100,000 miles on most cars and the fluid gets changed then anyway so it's a waste of money.

if you find a good honest mechanic, stick with him and recommend him to others so he stays in business!

Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,507,522 times
Does that price include replacing the timing belt/chain? Water pump too? Those are very labor intensive & that's why 60k services do run $400 and up.

check online and see if any of your local dealers have coupons. In fact many dealers will honor coupons from all other dealers in your state. anyway, I think you're being quoted the rack rate which they discount from. Don't settle for that.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 PM

606 posts, read 1,484,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Does that price include replacing the timing belt/chain? Water pump too? Those are very labor intensive & that's why 60k services do run $400 and up.

check online and see if any of your local dealers have coupons. In fact many dealers will honor coupons from all other dealers in your state. anyway, I think you're being quoted the rack rate which they discount from. Don't settle for that.
I have updated my original post with list of things Hyundai wants done. It mentions a "Drive Belt 2.4 L", I think that income the water pump. The 2.4L engine doesn't have timing belt but chain which doesn't need to replaced for maintenance from what I have heard.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:45 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
From the list you provided, about half the items for inspection will be done free at relevant specialty shops, like a brake shop, AC shop, tire shop, muffler shop. Any gas station with a service bay will change the many of change items, for a lot less than the $90 shop labor that your dealer will charge. So, you're still almost free, with not many things remaining to be inspected or changed, and again, an independent shop, or even a shade tree mechanic, knows how to inspect things.
The tire rotation on the list leads me immediately to suspicion. Whoever wrote your service manual knows damned well that the original tires will not last 60K miles, and for all they know, your tires are only a week old.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 PM

14,760 posts, read 18,084,357 times
All those "inspect" items are included with the $29.95 oil change where I take my vehicles.

The rest sounds like about $200 less the belt, that price would depend
on how much has to come apart to get to it. It may justify $300 or more.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 AM

5,730 posts, read 4,072,989 times
Interference engines with Dohc heads usually need timing belts around that time. That is a typical charge.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 AM

15,952 posts, read 12,582,500 times
Feel lucky to be getting out of there under $1,000. You should be needing brakes and tires soon too

Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,069,614 times
Sounds about right....

Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 18 days ago)

13,669 posts, read 17,522,791 times
2006 and up Sonata's with all engine types having a timing chain, that is claimed to be a lifetime component, so what he is being quoted does NOT include replacing the timing chain or belt. Basically the only actual work being done is this:

Replace Air Cleaner Filter
Replace Automatic Transaxle Fluid
Replace Coolant
Replace Drive Belt 2.4L
Replace Engine Oil and Filter 2.4L
Replace Fuel Tank Air Filter

I wouldn't be surprised if this work amounted to between $300 and $400 at most independent shops, so a dealer quote of $550 seems right inline with what is being done. All the other items are simply inspections that any competent shop would do as part of a routine oil change. They love to list them all out to make it seem like you are getting a lot done for your money, in reality those inspections take less than 10 minutes.

No one is going to give you an out the door direct quote, even the dealer isn't doing that. The dealer is simply quoting how much it would be to do the service and replace the items specified by Hyundai. If the inspection turns up say a torn CV boot, that would be extra. The independent chain or shop should be able to give you an exaxt quote for the "replace" items and then you can go from there.

If it were me, I would take it to an indy shop or chain and have them do the work and get a receipt for warranty purposes. Assuming nothing else needs to be done, I would plan on paying $350-$400 out the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive