Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

It is fine. We inhale it all the time. In fact we have battery dust parties and snort thee stuff in quantity. Did you see the pink hippotomus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I wouldn't be too concerned. Occasional accidental exposure is not nearly the same as long term frequent exposure. If you have any symptoms that keep up, like a sore throat, sore chest or a headache that don't go away in short order, I would see a doctor just to be safe.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
I feel OK today. I think most of the problem was mental. It did taste weird...a metallic flavor. It has a flavor that's all it's own.

Old 11-27-2020, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I was changing a fuse in the panel in the engine bay on my Impala and noticed the white dust forming around the post on the battery, so I grabbed my wire brush and went to work. I got all the dust about off when a gust of wind kicked up. Instantly I got a metallic taste in my mouth and throat burned a little. My chest still aches a little. Not sure if it's the dust doing it or my mind racing with fear. If I am dead tomorrow, it's been fun talking with you folks on here. If I live, that's the last damn time I work around a battery without a mask and goggles. Stupid me.
Yeah I just did it and I’m worried now, but it was only like a crumb of it (very small) so what do I do?

Old 11-27-2020, 05:27 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerAtomic View Post
Yeah I just did it and I’m worried now, but it was only like a crumb of it (very small) so what do I do?
Who changes a battery in 2020 without wearing a mask? Now you have exideacidiccoviddustitious! I'd quarantine until 2021.

Old 11-27-2020, 06:06 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
This reminded me of a video I saw on youtube a while ago of some guy who put ghost peppers into his bong and inhaled a huge cloud of it. I think he took 2 hits. I don't know if battery acid powder is better or worse for your lungs than ghost pepper vapor, but the guy on youtube certainly didn't look too good afterwords. He was rolling around in the fetal position struggling to breathe and stay alive. I'm pretty sure he gave himself some pretty serious lung damage.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:21 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
FYI, the little felt rings do an OK job at keeping that dust from getting too bad. Better than that, though, is to use the protective spray. You can buy a can at any auto parts store and it'll last your forever since you use so little.

Mike
I use the felt rings on both the tractor and the vehicle. They do help. If I do have corrosion, I use baking soda and water, as it does a better job than trying to remove the deposits by hand.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:35 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
So should I be worried or???

You may turn into a Democrat, a fate worse than death. Kidding, of course. You'll be fine. I'd done far worse and am still alive and kicking.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:14 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Many years ago, mid '70s IIRC, I had the opportunity to tour a battery manufacturing plant. I was shocked at how bad the air was inside and doubt it could have been very good for the workers. And such nice operations like placing lead in a ball mill (think of an amusement park fun-house barrel with small cannonballs bouncing around inside) to noisily and no doubt pollutingly pound it into a powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive