U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 PM

11 posts, read 42,586 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are considering these 3 options: Honda CR-V, Honda Accord and Toyota RAV4.
I've read innumerable reviews and watched a few youtube videos of all the above cars we are considering, and still confused.

I didn't really like the interiors of RAV4, but overall is ok I guess.
We are a young couple, and some people suggested that we go for a car instead of an SUV... so we are also considering Accord.

I've an inclination towards 2011 Honda CR-V EX L (2 WDR). Some of the things that I like in CR-V are: it has enough storage space, great interiors and exterior, good resale value and trustworthy brand.
I need opinions about these things:
- How good is the performance of crv at high speeds (like 85-90 mph or more)?
- I read a couple of reviews which say that the wheel balancing is not perfect, the vehicle tends to move in a different direction. Is this correct?
- I need to drive for work 20 miles each way.Would cr-v be a good choice?
- Is this a good vehicle for long drives and road trips (I'm not talking about driving on mountains or gravel)
- The engine of crv is not as powerful as RAV4. How much is the difference?
- Overall, when compared to CRV, how good or bad is Toyota RAV4?

Inside the city/suburbs, the difference between CRV, RAV4, Accord - it hardly matters. But which car would be the best for long drives and driving on highways?

Thanks for any advise (and patiently reading my long post).
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 AM

1,166 posts, read 4,289,650 times
We recently bought a CRV, so know some about it. Compared to the RAV4 the interior looked nicer to us. I am not sure where you want to drive at 90 mph, going at 80 I have not had any problems. It is not really an SUV but a CUV/crossover. It still has a higher G point than the Accord so expected to be more "unstable" but with vehicle stability and other stuff it is pretty safe. I have a bad back and a crappy knee. The sedan sitting position does a number on them after one hour of driving. As far as power, the 6 cylinder version of the RAV is the winner but I found the CRV power to be sufficient. I think you have to 1st decide between a sedan and a crossover. Have you considered a Civic? We needed the extra space because we are a family of 4 with a lot of 1st degrees that like to crash on us for rides and trips. As a young couple you might not have that much trouble in that department, but then again you will have to think at least 5 yrs ahead (kids?!).

Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,142,402 times
The CR-V while one of the ugliest vehicles on the planet blends the old Honda traits in a good way. Good size, nice I-4, tons of cubby space, good space inside (it has more space than the giant Accord Crossturd). It isn't fun or fast but it gets the job done.

The RAV-4 with the V-6 is out of this world. Very fast and nearly as efficient as the I-4 in the CR-V. It also has a seat 7 option. The interior is odder but the CR-V aint great either. That would be my choice. I think it looks pretty good.

The Accord is much larger than both but you lose the cargo space and utility, something that does come in handy. It handles slightly better but not enough to say "wow what a difference". Its also ugly but most people today seem to lack glasses. I'd choose the CR-V over it.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,613,257 times
I have to disagree on the CR-V's looks. The arched roofline is distinctive and keeps it from looking like so many box-mobiles or blob-mobiles (like many Toyota SUVs).

However, I would would choose the less attractive RAV4 with a V6 because of the combination of power and efficiency. Its interior room is comparable to the CR-V. 7 seats is dumb for a vehicle that size unless your kids are even smaller than normal.

The Accord is a perfectly reasonable choice, as it has been for its entire history. It might be the better highway car. It is roomy, with a good size trunk. But it doesn't have the cargo versatility of a CUV.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 AM

3,698 posts, read 9,983,909 times
The Accord has higher crash test scores than the CRV if that kind of thing matters to you.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,102,887 times
Get the Rav4 V6. Anything else is a turd.

I rented a 2011 Rav4 for 2 weeks while car was in shop getting hail damage fixed. It was a base 4cycl 4wd model. The thing just sucked. I took it on a 1000 mile road trip and dearly missed my V8 Magnum. I got an average of 23mpg on the highway going 80mph. My Magnum R/T AWD 340HP HEMI gets 21mpg on the same drive. If you travel at high speeds on the highway a lot, like me, you want a car with enough power to easily pass people and put some distance on them. It's part of what makes a road trip fun

Check out the Subaru Forester XT as well, it compares well to the Rav4 V6. I think one of those is best for you if you want a car that can get out of it's own way.

As for the sedan, I would check out a new Hyundai Sonata Turbo. Good performance (0-60 in 6.5) and 34mpg on the highway. I think you will be surprised what the Limited features are for $28k (MSRP).

Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,142,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have to disagree on the CR-V's looks. The arched roofline is distinctive and keeps it from looking like so many box-mobiles or blob-mobiles (like many Toyota SUVs).

However, I would would choose the less attractive RAV4 with a V6 because of the combination of power and efficiency. Its interior room is comparable to the CR-V. 7 seats is dumb for a vehicle that size unless your kids are even smaller than normal.

The Accord is a perfectly reasonable choice, as it has been for its entire history. It might be the better highway car. It is roomy, with a good size trunk. But it doesn't have the cargo versatility of a CUV.
Actually the even uglier Ssangyong Rodius had that roofline years before. Most American don't know that b/c they have the automotive knowledge of a fig. Sorry but you have horrible eyesight if you think the CR-V looks better than the Rav-4 or ANYTHING for the matter. Honda owners tend to have terrible eyes as evidenced by their selling of ugly vehicle which are getting uglier. Didn't used to be that way.

http://www.hondacrvpic.com/hondacrv/car/pictures/2010/03/honda-cr-v-front-view1.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,234,488 times
The CRV would be my pick since it's a Honda

Old 05-04-2011, 03:05 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,234,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Actually the even uglier Ssangyong Rodius had that roofline years before. Most American don't know that b/c they have the automotive knowledge of a fig. Sorry but you have horrible eyesight if you think the CR-V looks better than the Rav-4 or ANYTHING for the matter. Honda owners tend to have terrible eyes as evidenced by their selling of ugly vehicle which are getting uglier. Didn't used to be that way.

Uh, have you seen the ugly messes for SUV's that GM has been putting out? Or those nasty Chrysler Jeeps? (minus the Wrangler). The CRV looks good, not as good as previous years, but to say it's ugly I guess your the one who needs glasses
Not a personal attack but you seen to bomb on Honda every chance you get.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,265 times
Default Toyota

In most countries, the RAV4 is the only compact SUV from Toyota. In other markets, it is the crossover counterpart of the FJ Cruiser. Since the 2006 third generation model, Toyota has offered both short- and long-wheelbase versions of the RAV4.Short-wheelbase versions are retailed in Japan and Europe, with Australia and North America receiving the long-wheelbase versions. By the way you can visit at marinadelreytoyota.com

http://www.marinadelreytoyota.com/us...os-angeles.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or