Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 9,371 times

Advertisements

The judge stated its against NJ law to testify by phone and even sited a case to his attorney. The only thing I said to the jusde was defendenent ready to proceed. At that point the judge told me, I don't need to say another word, so I didn't.
He and Mr Springfields lawyer talked and I just listened. The judge was not to happy that they were not ready to go to trial and dismissed the case, based on that fact.
I know what really happened, because I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:36 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsrivertrans View Post
The judge stated its against NJ law to testify by phone and even sited a case to his attorney. The only thing I said to the jusde was defendenent ready to proceed. At that point the judge told me, I don't need to say another word, so I didn't.
He and Mr Springfields lawyer talked and I just listened. The judge was not to happy that they were not ready to go to trial and dismissed the case, based on that fact.
I know what really happened, because I was there.
So your defense of your business strategy is that the you only rip off people who live too far away to be able to sue you without losing money in the process?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:51 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
So, mister "I don't take plastic because I hate chargebacks," you acknowledge that the judge did not rule in your favor, but simply dismissed the case because he had a beef with the defense? THAT is something to be proud of!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
As a dealership parts guru, I can see why people shouldn't mess with a company who doesn't offer a coast to coast warranty - or be able to confirm applications by VIN.

Yeah, we're high - but it's right.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I really hate to get into these kinds of pissing contests, but I happen to know a number of people who have done business with Toms River Transmission and have had nothing but a positive experience. They also do a lot of business with multiple repair shops around the area that refer their customers to them to order transmissions. Some of the people that I know who have done business with them are "car" people who needed transmissions rebuilt and were referred to them by other "car" people.

From what I can tell all of the complaints that are posted on the web and the handful with the BBB are the ones parroted back on this thread. I'm not saying they are perfect and have never had issues, but they are not known in NJ as a ripoff place / scam artist. I know a LOT of mechanics who have nothing but positive things to say about their work and dealing with them.

Another point would be that it seems a lot of people that have had "issues" with them are also grossly unaware of how that business works and decided that they could source their own transmission and have it installed cheaper versus going through a local shop. Many of the exclusions and limitations that people complain about are standard things in the used/rebuilt parts industry. Shops like these also not accepting credit cards is also rather common given the cost of doing so and the extensive fraud they have to deal with, especially if they are selling on the net.

If you want a great warranty with nationwide support and someone to complain to and pay with a credit card, then for God's sakes use Jasper and pay the extra money. Even then some of the things the people are complaining about like paying for return shipping upfront aren't things Jasper does either.

Some companies rightly deserve the wrath of internet character assassination, but I don't think this is one of them.

For the record, I am from NJ, I'm active in the car scene and I'm also in the industry, but have no affiliation or business relationship with Toms River Transmission beyond knowing their local reputation from others who do have a business relationship or have dealt with them in the past. YMMV

Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
I have no opinion about whether or not this company is truly reputable. However, coming to this board and gloating about a court "victory" which is actually a dismissal over matters that have nothing to do with the facts that were to be presented in the case is, frankly, childish, and suggests a lack of character. That is all.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I have no opinion about whether or not this company is truly reputable. However, coming to this board and gloating about a court "victory" which is actually a dismissal over matters that have nothing to do with the facts that were to be presented in the case is, frankly, childish, and suggests a lack of character. That is all.
Hey, I just figured I'd set the record semi straight on the companies reputation. These days reputations are so easy to destroy with the few clicks of a key that a lot of the "old school" folks who run these companies get real defensive over it and often end up doing more damage than good responding to the allegations, but they feel compelled to respond.

If you google "Toms River Transmission", the first site that pops up is the company's, the second is this thread. If you then google the same and add "complaints" you get this thread, RipOff Report and a consumer site where the poster from here has simply reposted the same story.

I'd say the vast majority of people check up on companies by going online and in this case, I think they would be getting a poor view of what is otherwise considered a good business.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,371 times
Default Judge for yourself

15 years in business and a handfull of complaints. Compare that to the hundreds or more transmissions we've done over the years and we have and excellent rate of success. I'll leave it at that.
I guess I should post more customer testimonials on my site, since it is very good for business.
I've had enough of this and won't be posting anytime soon.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:49 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topscout View Post
The only reason I am posting this message is to try to save someone from have the same experience with Toms River Transmissions.

I thought (first mistake) that I could find an honest person to help me get a new tranny for my truck by going online (second mistake). Living in Las Vegas, I have become a little wary of businesses here, so I took my business online and found Toms River trans in Toms River, NJ. They were good on the phone (the first time) so a deal was struck the middle of July and here I am still waiting for a trans and out (so far) over $1,500. The fact that they would not accept a credit card for payment (third mistake) should have told me something, but I still trust people (could this be the fourth mistake).

I remember folks back east (born in NH and spent much time in Maine - most of both sides of family still in both places) as being very friendly and handshake honest, but maybe that has changed.

For what it's worth. I still think most people are worth trusting.
What the H*LL is their explanation for the delay.......or are they doing their best to avoid you?????

Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 AM

6 posts, read 13,681 times
Default More dishonest statements by JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsrivertrans View Post
All he had to do was return the transmission to me, according to the terms of the warranty. He refused to do so, thats his fault, not mine.
He did receive what he ordered. Either way I was still willing to make good on the transmission but he refused to return the original transmission back to me.
Had he done so, everyone would have been happy and none or this would have happened.
JR continues to attempt to justify his actions by his "warranty" that is difficult to find on his web site but basically says he is not responsible for anything. This is not a warranty issue. He shipped the wrong transmission. I ordered a transmission for 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2 wheel drive, 4.0 liter engine. He sent me a transmission for an older Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4 wheel drive. On 4 wheel drive Jeeps the electronic speedometer take-off is mounted on the transfer case; for my application, it is mounted on the tail section of the transmission. The transmission JR sent me was lacking the speedometer take-off. JR wanted me to return the transmission at my expense so he could change out the tail section and then have me pay for shipping it back. This would have cost me around $500, based on the best quote I could get, possibly more, to ship a transmission from California to New Jersey and back. I asked him to send me the correct tail section and I would change it but he refused saying that the transmission had to be disassembled to change the tail section. I don't know if that is a true statement or not.

Additionally, the transmission he sent was missing the rear oil seal, something I hadn't noticed at the time. I am now beginning to question whether this transmission was ever rebuilt. When I get back to California, I'm going to have it analyzed by a reputable transmission repair shop. Of course, according to JR's warranty this will make the warranty null and void because removing the inspection plate violates the terms of the warranty (guess he doesn't want anyone to see his work). While I'm on this subject, despite large block letters on his web site that says "No core charge", his warranty states that unless you return the core (at your expense) the warranty is null and void.

My point being is that his entire warranty seems to be geared towards supporting a fraudulent operation with statements like he is not responsible for shipping the wrong transmission. Also, this warranty doesn't apply if you live within a reasonable driving distance to Tom Rivers.

I have asked my lawyer about JR's statement that the Judge said telephonic testimony is illegal in New Jersey. I will post his reply when I receive it.

Regarding some of the other comments:
Yes, I agree that negative posts can be very damaging and maybe the posts are a very small percentage of the total business and we don't know how much overall business Toms River Transmissions does and how much of it is done over the internet. However, having been a small business owner myself, it is incumbent upon any business to deal satisfactorily with customer complaints even if you believe the customer is wrong. In my case, the transmission went out while I was visiting my son in the Bay area and I needed a transmission to get back home. I offered to ship the transmission back at my expense if JR would refund my money. He would have been out the shipping costs which he told my lawyer were only $125 (1 way) because he gets a deep discount (something he never mentioned to me when he was saying I was responsible for the shipping costs involved in getting the correct transmission). If he does so much business, he certainly could have resold the transmission. It seemed as though he didn't want the transmission. Heck, if he had told me he could get it shipped back for $125, I would have reimbursed him his shipping costs since I was willing to pay $250 to ship it back to him. It would have cost JR at most $125 (or nothing if he had told me he could get a good rate on shipping) to satisfy me and I would have never gone looking on the internet to see if other people had a similar experience or if I was an exception. Considering that only a fraction of people who get ripped off have the time and ability to post comments, I think it is reasonable to conclude that JR is not someone to do business with.

Finally, with regards to economically replacing transmissions and NJGOAT comments about the transmission business in general, I got my transmission at American Carz, an outfit based in Phoenix, AZ. Unfortunately they don't come up on Google when you look for transmissions. The transmission was re-manufactured, not just rebuilt. It arrived about 5 days after I ordered it. It cost $1000, the same as what JR charged and they paid for the shipping including the return of the old transmission (yes, Airizona is a lot closer to California than New Jersey. There was a core charge of $300 but they would not bill it to my credit card (yes, they accept credit cards) if they received the core back within a reasonable time. Their warranty was straight forward and also covered the cost of removal and replacement (up to a certain number of hours) if something did go wrong with the transmission. They are aware they don't show up on Google but they want to keep their costs down and not pay to show up. They have a store on E-bay which is how I found them (or just Google American Carz) but you don't have to buy from them through E-bay which I didn't. They reason that people looking for replacement transmissions will search E-Bay. I sure wish I had been smart enough to do that first then none of this would ever had happened for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive