U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,252 times

Advertisements

DEFF dont get anything from this "company" i ordered a transmission for my wifes 1998 mercury mountineere 2wd.they sent me a trans for a 96 explorer 4wd.almost NONE of the parts are compatable.i called and emailed JR at toms river trans and he told me that i had the wrong trans in my wifes suv,that somewhere along the line some one swapped the trans from a early 90's ford F250 in to it! B.S! we are the 2nd owners and know for a fact that the trans has NEVER had any work done to it befor we got it.brought it to the local ford dealership none of the electronics are compatable 80%of the parts in the trans they sent me are worn out junk only 2 sets of the cluch packs were new and reusable..the frontal cluch pack and OD band were also junk.another $1200 at the dealer and my suv should be drivable. The new jersey BBB was no help because toms river trans keeps returning there letters about this problem. thats VERY professional on there part. WARNING DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS "COMPANY"! unless you have money and time to waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM

6 posts, read 9,670 times
Default Message for Stevie1330

Message for Stevie1330

I had the exact same experience in November also.
I have found a good attorney in Toms River. You might want to contact him.
Here is a link to his web site.

Michael Casey Attorney / Toms River NJ

Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,018 times
Default Stay Clear of Toms River Transmissions

This is the worst company I have even done busines with. After receiving (delivered late) a "rebuilt" transmission from J.R. at Toms River Transmissions in Jan. 2011 the real problems began. Don't be an idiot like I was and send them a check in advance, you'll regret it. They do not take credit cards and I suggest that's becasue as a customer you can dispute a credit card purchase for up to 90 days if the prodcut is bad. Clearly this company does not want you to have that option.
My transmission was professionally installed but operated properly for only 10 miles (3rd gear failure). J.R. refused to consider a refund, or sending a replacement and actually required that I cover all shipping costs to and from (around $400) in addition to all labor if I wanted him to even look at it. Bottom line.........I was responsible from him selling me a bad transmission.

J.R. hides behind a slick warranty/terms of sale hidden deep within his web site. He will assert that you are bound by those terms even if you have never seen or agreed to them. Take legal action? "my attorney, who is also my sister looks forward to it" was his written reply to my inquiry.

Stay clear of this guy and this business.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,419,547 times
If you bought it with a credit card and didn't get it, you should have written your credit card co and declined the charge and insisted they charge it back to Tom's. End of story. may be too late now because you and your attorney have been diddling around with it. I'd still try though.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 PM

17,490 posts, read 18,647,136 times
^^ The poster said they don't take credit cards.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,419,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
^^ The poster said they don't take credit cards.

Ooops! I read the OP too fast and missed that. Sorry.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,636,767 times
Someone should take the tranny out of his own car, and then keep taking the new ones until he gets the picture. He can have them back when he learns to behave.

People like this **** me off like non others, sadly they don't seem to respond to anything you can do to them legally. ...Which really tempts, even law abiding citizens into going vigilante.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM

18,100 posts, read 16,634,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naples10 View Post
I have delt with this company and they do care.
The better business bureau does have one other complaint against them, however, the BBB keeps a 36 Month, three year, record on file for complaints.
I have no problem dealing with a Company with Only one complaint against them in a three year period. That is a record to be proud of for any Company in this day and age.
Maybe its you!
I would have no problem dealing with Toms River Transmission.
Hmmm first post and claiming that the company is awesome dispite what the OP is going through. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 PM

24 posts, read 63,026 times
What kind of vehicle are we talking about here? You neglected to inform us. The reason I say that is, if it's a truck, it is fairly easy to replace a transmission. Honestly, its about 4 wires and 8-12 bolts. But it it is something FWD, then its a pain. What is the total time the car has been there? Transmissions, engines, and large, heavy auto parts usually get held up in shipping. I understand you talked to DHL, but maybe bossman is backed up on work, which would push your car back, and your transmission in the corner.

If this is a new car, and an older establishment, I can understand the delay as well. Most, and I mean almost everyone who ISN'T a dealer, do not have mechanics who 'get' new cars. On top of that, current American auto manufacturing is so shoddy that when a newer car is repaired, there are multiple pieces that must be bought NEW, and at dealer prices.

However, if they are trying to ********* over, then take them for court. But don't blow up the cost. You said $1500, plus court costs. Another member stated you "should sue for the whole $5000". Sure the situation sucked, but does it hurt that bad that you need to have another $3500 you had nothing to do with? We live in a lawsuit/litigation happy world nowadays. Don't be like the girl suing the mall for tripping into a fountain while texting. That was just dumb. It sucks that some humans are really that dumb, they do less for society.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 PM

24 posts, read 63,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhofstetter View Post
This is the worst company I have even done busines with. After receiving (delivered late) a "rebuilt" transmission from J.R. at Toms River Transmissions in Jan. 2011 the real problems began. Don't be an idiot like I was and send them a check in advance, you'll regret it. They do not take credit cards and I suggest that's becasue as a customer you can dispute a credit card purchase for up to 90 days if the prodcut is bad. Clearly this company does not want you to have that option.
My transmission was professionally installed but operated properly for only 10 miles (3rd gear failure). J.R. refused to consider a refund, or sending a replacement and actually required that I cover all shipping costs to and from (around $400) in addition to all labor if I wanted him to even look at it. Bottom line.........I was responsible from him selling me a bad transmission.

J.R. hides behind a slick warranty/terms of sale hidden deep within his web site. He will assert that you are bound by those terms even if you have never seen or agreed to them. Take legal action? "my attorney, who is also my sister looks forward to it" was his written reply to my inquiry.

Stay clear of this guy and this business.
This indicates a problem with the transmission itself, not the install, and thus, not the transmission shop. If this is the case, the the supplier of the transmission is at fault. But he probably bought it at the wrecker yard anyway and made his buck. He doesn't care what happens after that. If he knew about the damage, that's fraud, but chances are, no one knew anything until it went in you vehicle.

The rest of your post sounds like you are just mad at him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or