U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,577,990 times

Advertisements

Unlikely high number of new members posting in this random thread, very suspicious.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 PM

24 posts, read 63,026 times
Not suspicious, I just found a thread I can put some correct info in.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,670 times
Default Re: Toms River Transmissions

There is a consistent pattern of what appears to be fraud occurring. I have found a similar experience with Toms River Transmissions described on another web site as well as the 3 or 4 described on this site.

I strongly recommend you contact the attorney I provided the link to in my posting on 6 Feb. This is not an issue of warranty, it is an issue of consumer fraud. New Jersey small claims courts permit recovery of treble damages as well as attorney fees. There is a 2 year statute of limitation.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,335,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillPrevail View Post
This indicates a problem with the transmission itself, not the install, and thus, not the transmission shop. If this is the case, the the supplier of the transmission is at fault. But he probably bought it at the wrecker yard anyway and made his buck. He doesn't care what happens after that. If he knew about the damage, that's fraud, but chances are, no one knew anything until it went in you vehicle.

The rest of your post sounds like you are just mad at him.
yeah that has been my experience on transmissions, that many times it is cheaper to get a good used one instead of rebuilding one. A used one can be purchased for less then the labor to take the broken one apart for a rebuild.

Oh well make me glad that my truck has the ZF-5 speed manual tranny and my car has the T-56 6-speed manual tranny

Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
Default Toms River Transmission Is A Scam

We waited 3 weeks for a transmission and it does not work. I spoke to who I think is the owner and he will not refund my money. I will cost me $500 for an installation again and another $160 to ship it back to NJ which he will not pay. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! There is a reason they don't take credit cards.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 6,234 times
Springmart Update
Just to let you know Springmart had his attorney represent him in court against Toms River Transmissions and LOST. Thats right LOST!
Goes to show things are now always as they appear.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,639,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsrivertrans View Post
Springmart Update
Just to let you know Springmart had his attorney represent him in court against Toms River Transmissions and LOST. Thats right LOST!
Goes to show things are now always as they appear.
Don't like to pat yourself on the back any, do you?

Just the kind of outfit I'd like to do business with.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:34 AM

6 posts, read 9,670 times
Default SpringMart Update

I just wanted to post an update to my experience of trying to sue Toms River Transmissions and John Rizzo (JR). I was surprised to see JR had already posted a thread gloating about having won the case as though he had won on the merits of the case. The true facts are as follows:

After having the same experience that many others have had with Tom Rivers Transmissions in November of 2010, I contacted an attorney in Toms Rivers in February. I was encouraged to learn that the New Jersey courts allow testimony by telephone as travel from California to New Jersey plus lawyer fees would exceed the value of the litigation. As noted in my previous post, the Court will award treble damages up to $3000 plus attorney fees in cases of fraud.

The attorney did try to resolve the problem with Mr. Rizzo who more or less stone walled and refused to accept his letters. My attorney filed suit in April. Mr. Rizzo eventualy replied to the suit just prior to the default date and denied everything. Trial was set, unfortunately, for mid July when I would be in Europe. Although I had been hoping to be able to testify by telephone, I had also contemplated traveling to New Jersey once a firm court date was set if necessary. Now that the trial was scheduled when I would be out of the country, I was pretty much counting on testifying by telephone.

My attorney filed a request with the Court seeking to permit me to testify by telephone in early June. Somehow the Court lost the letter and never responded. About a week before the trial date, my attorney contacted the Court and was told to resubmit the request which he did. On the Friday before the trial date the Court delayed the trial date one week in order to give Mr. Rizzo an opportunity to comment on my testifying by telephone. I was certainly glad I had not purchased a airline ticket based on the original trial date. By Monday, the day before the new trial date, the Court had still not responded and said they wanted to wait until the matter had attempted to be resolved by mediation which was scheduled for the day of the trial. So now I'm a continent away and no decision on whether I would be allowed to testify by telephone.

My attorney, JR, and the mediator met on the morning of the trial with JR knowing I couldn't possibly be there. JR continued to insist he had sent me the correct transmission based on charts he had but did not show them to my attorney or the mediator. He did offer to return half of my money if I returned the transmission and he would pay the shipping costs. He told the mediator he would have to rebuild the transmission because it had been sitting for over 6 months unused. My attorney called me and relayed the offer; he advised that I accept it because if the Judge would not allow me to testify by phone, I would lose the case. I declined because in the end this really wasn't about the money; based on this web site and others, it appears that JR makes a living by cheating other people counting on the fact that suing him is not practical or economically feasible. I was hoping that if he lost in Court, he might amend his ways. I asked my attorney to try to get a continuance until I returned if the Judge would not allow me to testify by phone. If he could not get that long of continuance, I said I was now willing to fly from Europe to New Jersey if he could only get a one week continuance. The mediator talked to me and urged me to accept the offer and seemed miffed when I refused; he said he would write up his report an submit it to the Judge.

Within 15 or 20 minutes of ending the conversation, my attorney called back with the bad news. JR told the Judge he would be at a disadvantage if he could not see my reaction to his questions and that it would be unfair to continue the case as he would have to miss another day of work. JR's sister is an attorney and though she did not represent him, I think he consulted with her by telephone. The Judge refused to allow me to testify by telephone, refused to grant a continuance, and dismissed my suit with prejudice meaning I can't refile it again unless there are new facts in the case. So JR didn't win on the merits of his position, but rather by default.

I am sorry to see the JR is now gloating that he “won” the case. I don't care if he gloats but it does bother me that I have contributed to him now feeling more empowered than ever to rip people off, secure that he has a very low probability of being successfully sued in court.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 6,234 times
Default Springmart Update:Warranty issue

All he had to do was return the transmission to me, according to the terms of the warranty. He refused to do so, thats his fault, not mine.
He did receive what he ordered. Either way I was still willing to make good on the transmission but he refused to return the original transmission back to me.
Had he done so, everyone would have been happy and none or this would have happened.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,639,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsrivertrans View Post
All he had to do was return the transmission to me, according to the terms of the warranty. He refused to do so, thats his fault, not mine.
He did receive what he ordered. Either way I was still willing to make good on the transmission but he refused to return the original transmission back to me.
Had he done so, everyone would have been happy and none or this would have happened.
Given the tone of your previous post, your words hear ring very, very hollow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or