U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:59 AM

5 posts, read 39,167 times

Advertisements

The only reason I am posting this message is to try to save someone from have the same experience with Toms River Transmissions.

I thought (first mistake) that I could find an honest person to help me get a new tranny for my truck by going online (second mistake). Living in Las Vegas, I have become a little wary of businesses here, so I took my business online and found Toms River trans in Toms River, NJ. They were good on the phone (the first time) so a deal was struck the middle of July and here I am still waiting for a trans and out (so far) over $1,500. The fact that they would not accept a credit card for payment (third mistake) should have told me something, but I still trust people (could this be the fourth mistake).

I remember folks back east (born in NH and spent much time in Maine - most of both sides of family still in both places) as being very friendly and handshake honest, but maybe that has changed.

For what it's worth. I still think most people are worth trusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 11:02 AM

618 posts, read 2,492,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topscout View Post
The only reason I am posting this message is to try to save someone from have the same experience with Toms River Transmissions.

I thought (first mistake) that I could find an honest person to help me get a new tranny for my truck by going online (second mistake). Living in Las Vegas, I have become a little wary of businesses here, so I took my business online and found Toms River trans in Toms River, NJ. They were good on the phone (the first time) so a deal was struck the middle of July and here I am still waiting for a trans and out (so far) over $1,500. The fact that they would not accept a credit card for payment (third mistake) should have told me something, but I still trust people (could this be the fourth mistake).

I remember folks back east (born in NH and spent much time in Maine - most of both sides of family still in both places) as being very friendly and handshake honest, but maybe that has changed.

Call the Better Buisness Bureau... or call up Judge Judy and sue their butts!!! Don't give up!!! I too have learned the hardway.... NEVER TRUST ANYONE... unless you get a signed agreement, especially when you are dealing with cash. You just can't give people the benefit of the doubt anymore. There are tons of dishonest people that work through the internet. Always ask if the company has any references that you can call. Sorry for your bad experience... I hope things work out for you.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,892,295 times
Default Call the BBB for that area

Quote:

Calibelle is right. Call the Better Business Bureau for Toms River, NJ, or, you can find it online. If you do it online, it will give you a place to submit your complaint and they WILL follow up on it, believe me. I've had to do it twice. The BBB will contact the business and submit your complaint and demand an explanation. Few businesses want to end up on the BBB pooh-list. It's easy to make the complaint and the BBB does the work for you. It's worth a shot.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:40 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times
http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/states/nj.htm (broken link)

Old 08-30-2006, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I did try the BBB and found that they had another complaint against Toms River Trans. The co would not even respond to BBB about that one. It seems they just don't care.

Update, I received confirmation from DHL that they delivered my return trans on the date they said and the owner of Toms Trans told me on the phone it was delivered two days later. And, he's the one that signed for the delivery.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:25 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,892,295 times
Default New tactic.. Small Claims Court

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

I did try the BBB and found that they had another complaint against Toms River Trans. The co would not even respond to BBB about that one. It seems they just don't care.

Update, I received confirmation from DHL that they delivered my return trans on the date they said and the owner of Toms Trans told me on the phone it was delivered two days later. And, he's the one that signed for the delivery.
Now then is the time to go deeper. File a small claims court case against Toms River Trans in their New Jersey jurisdiction. Yep, it'll cost you airfare and hotel expenses, but sue for the full $5000 for fraud. Take any documentation you have, make sure your dates are lined up chronologically, stick to the facts, no emotion, and if the BBB had information for you that they'll give you, take it with you. You'll win in court.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 9,378 times
Default Maybe It's You

I have delt with this company and they do care.
The better business bureau does have one other complaint against them, however, the BBB keeps a 36 Month, three year, record on file for complaints.
I have no problem dealing with a Company with Only one complaint against them in a three year period. That is a record to be proud of for any Company in this day and age.
Maybe its you!
I would have no problem dealing with Toms River Transmission.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:17 PM

618 posts, read 2,492,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naples10 View Post
I have delt with this company and they do care.
The better business bureau does have one other complaint against them, however, the BBB keeps a 36 Month, three year, record on file for complaints.
I have no problem dealing with a Company with Only one complaint against them in a three year period. That is a record to be proud of for any Company in this day and age.
Maybe its you!
I would have no problem dealing with Toms River Transmission.
I know that you aren't claiming that this poor guys story is false.... but honestly. What this transmission company is doing to this poor guy is ILLEGAL. They say that they sent back the transmission signature mail, and this guy never even got his transmission. The only way that they could have got a returned signature receipt, is if this poor guy actually signed himself for the shipment. The person the package is being sent to HAS to sign, it can't be anyone else. He never got his transmission, so how could they possibly have a credible receipt? Its obvious that this company is either doing shady buisness, or they are making a huge mistake, and they are too ignorant to realize it. What this company is doing, is a classic example of how people try to cover up for shady buisness. They make sure that many of their customers are satisfied, and they do things right.... then some trusting person comes along, like the man who started this thread, and the company jumps at the chance to ***** them over. Just because there is only one other complaint with the BBB, doesn't mean they haven't done crap like this in the past. Some people just don't ever come forward. This guy is on the opposite side of the country from this transmission place, he paid cash, and they screwed him BIG TIME. Why would he bother to come on this site, unless the story was true? He was desperate for answers.
It sounds like you are either a friend of the owners of this shop, or you are one of them, trying to cover your butt. If you are neither of these, then you really need to consider that just because you had a good experience, doesn't mean that this company can be trusted. Maybe its a misunderstaning on their part, but it doesn't sound like it to me. It's too fishy of a situation. I'll bet if the poor guy payed with a check, or went in in person, this situation wouldn't even exhist. But we all live and learn, and now this poor guy who got screwed over, is paying the price. Defend the company if you want, but this is a shady situation.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:17 AM

Wink Still Waiting!

Well, here it is the 26th of Sept. and no tranny. The owner of Toms River still refuses to give me the name and phone of the trucking co. that he says has the third trans. I have filed a complaint with the NJ AG's office and am pursuing other avenues to get my $ back.

Maybe I should ask Naples10 to represent me.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:49 AM

Talking Nother Update

Well, Time flies when you're having fun.

The truck sits and I am waiting to see if a local attorney can convince Toms River to give $ back. JR, the owner refused to give refund when I requested by email. So, he now has the only trans that was sent (the wrong one) and my money. He says, now, that the third trans was never sent - though he said prior that it had been sent - and that he owes me nothing. But, this one gets me, I can have him send me the wrong trans back at my expense. OK, that makes sense.

Bet he refuses to talk to the attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or