Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:15 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

The dealers know amnesiac Americans all too well, the price of gas suddenly falls 50 cents tomorrow and they'll be selling like hot cakes. And what will the average, short-sighted American be thinking?

It'll never happen again! Prices will never get this high again! And they're back looking at houses 40 miles from their work place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
The only time I have ever seen a dealer speak of fuel prices is when they want to sell economy cars at premium prices, list or above, during times of higher fuel prices. It's a marketing ploy, and I can honestly say I have never discussed fuel prices, driving habits, or economy with any dealer from whom I have purchased a vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
If you are one of the people who absolutely need a large truck or SUV now is the time to buy it. The local Chevy dealer here has a hundred or more of the large trucks and SUV's on the lot but if you're looking for a small car or suv forget it. Nothing to be found. My buddy is the sales Mgr at said dealer and he mentioned they are taking a loss on every large truck they sell but the have to move them off the lot.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
You won't see any kind of advertised blowout sale until early fall. If the lots are still full of large truck and SUV products, the manufacturers are going to be dropping piles of cash on the hood to get them moved.

Remember, just because large trucks and SUV's are profitable for manufacturers, doesn't mean that dealers really have all that much wiggle room on them relative to what the manufacturers have. I'm sure you can snag yourself a good deal right now, but if you want a great deal, you need to wait until the manufacturers start putting cash on the hood, plus 0% financing and the dealer is willing to let it go for zero profit. If gas prices stay high, that's exactly what they'll do.

FWIW, I think a lot of them learned their lesson in 2008. They started to blow out their truck and SUV inventory making up the losses by marking up small cars only to watch gas drop in the fall and people come flocking back to trucks and SUV's. I think they're smart enough now to realize they can rake in the profits on the small cars and just sit on the trucks and SUV's and see what gas does. If it stays high, they'll be looking for manufacturer support to move them.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM

366 posts, read 1,374,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I guess they don't want to talk about the war in Afghanistan, tornadoes in the south, flooding along the Mississippi, missing children, stock market drops, ongoing housing market or any of another ten thousand negative things going on that might psyche someone out of buying a car.

Do you know how sales work? Surely you've sold something in your life. Do you bring things up to lower the value of what you are trying to sell or do you only talk about the positive. Maybe they'll have to hang on to some of the trucks a little longer until gas prices settle, maybe the factory comes in with bigger incentives. Or maybe you just have to deal with the fact that they aren't dropping their drawers to take whatever low ball offer you made on that expedition or armada or whatever it is you want so bad but couldn't get and are so bitter about.

Ha ha, "scammers". That's funny.
couldnt have said it better myself.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Gas just jumped to 398 a gallon here today ,up 4 cents from this time yesterday....The dealers lots will soon be full of unsold cars and trucks..
And when they are unhappy with how much inventory they have, they'll drop prices.

What do you expect them to do? Discount before they are forced to by market pressure?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
the dealers lots will soon be full of unsold cars and trucks..
Isn't that what you normally find on a car lot, unsold cars?
What would the point be of going to a car lot to buy a car if it was empty?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Better off folks don't care if gas is 5 to 7 bucks a gallon, a bit. The other day I saw a Ford V 10 hauling a bigger speed boat. The trucks gas will be nothing compared to that boat.

I'ld bet that boat has 2 tanks over 100 gallons each, if the boat doesn't have 3 tanks.

To some that fuel is nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive