Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:41 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
An attendant who was working the cash register in the convenience store and trying to keep an eye on the pumps did not notice the mistake.

Sorry but that has to be the dumbest cashier or they hated the owner and played stupid. You tell me no one came in and said something? Or this person never looked up at the sign? Were they watching the pumps at the station across the street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Jesus, how does the attendant not realize what's up after he's made change for the tenth customer? I guess I could understand it if every one of the customers used a credit/debit card, but it's hard to imagine how the cash paying customers slipped by, unless the attendant just assumed everyone was only getting a couple of gallons for some odd reason...

Or, more than likely, it's a case of someone trusting a computer blindly, regardless of whether or not what its telling them makes any sense in reality.
with cash paying customers, you usually walk in and say give me $20 on pump 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I suspect the business owner can write this off as a loss.
yes it can be written off as a loss, unfortunately it is a very real loss to the station owner, and may end up costing them their profits for the year.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
That is alot of gallons on what they make off a gallon to make up.I was surpised when a freiend tol;d me the number of gallon he had to sell to make up a 20 dollar drive-off in the late 90's at his convenience store. I forget the numbers but making up twenty dollar drive off your cost in takes that you make .10 a gallon it takes 200 gallons to break even.Such small dealers need profits not writeoffs.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I still get a laugh when a few years back they had a station owner representative on the radio swear up and down that the station owners only make a penny profit on evey gallon they sell. I came up with this solution to try to get station owners to lower their prices.
On one week, you just completely ignore one local gas station. If you need gas, go to the guy across the street or down the road. Then the next week, ignore somebody else and absolutely do not buy gas from them. Have everybody do it. They'll be starving for business( they do make a lot of money selling other items like snacks) and will drop their price to entice more customers to come in. Then the next week you target somebody else. And so on.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I still get a laugh when a few years back they had a station owner representative on the radio swear up and down that the station owners only make a penny profit on evey gallon they sell. I came up with this solution to try to get station owners to lower their prices.
On one week, you just completely ignore one local gas station. If you need gas, go to the guy across the street or down the road. Then the next week, ignore somebody else and absolutely do not buy gas from them. Have everybody do it. They'll be starving for business( they do make a lot of money selling other items like snacks) and will drop their price to entice more customers to come in. Then the next week you target somebody else. And so on.
that station owner is correct that they only net one cent per gallon of gasoline they sell, the gross profit is more like nine cents per gallon. i know i have seen the invoices many times over the years.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that station owner is correct that they only net one cent per gallon of gasoline they sell, the gross profit is more like nine cents per gallon. i know i have seen the invoices many times over the years.
What people don't seem to realize is that the government is making more money per gallon (via the gas tax) then the station owner, in fact they make more then the big evil oil company makes per gallon.

The reality is that most station owners are running convenience stores that happen to sell gas (its the draw).

Old 05-20-2011, 08:21 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
What people don't seem to realize is that the government is making more money per gallon (via the gas tax) then the station owner, in fact they make more then the big evil oil company makes per gallon.

The reality is that most station owners are running convenience stores that happen to sell gas (its the draw).
The govt needs the money to send to pakistan or some other awful country in the middle east. A barrel of oil is about $100.00. OPEC & the creeps in the horrid middle east & the oil companies are making a killing & they dont thank you for your business cause they are pathetic so called humans.

Last edited by steel7; 05-20-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 05:53 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is alot of gallons on what they make off a gallon to make up.I was surpised when a freiend tol;d me the number of gallon he had to sell to make up a 20 dollar drive-off in the late 90's at his convenience store. I forget the numbers but making up twenty dollar drive off your cost in takes that you make .10 a gallon it takes 200 gallons to break even.Such small dealers need profits not writeoffs.
Yes it's well known that gas stations have terrible profit margins on the actual gas that's pumped; that's not where they make their money. They make far more money on the candy bar and soda one person buys than numerous cars filling up their tank.

Best Buy is likely taking a loss on whatever $500 laptop they have on sale this week, but it's okay because the $30 laptop bag you also bought cost them $12.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:31 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
... don't leave this type of work to the person you pay minimum wage...
That's it. You pay minimum wage, you get minimum work. I'd guess the owner was fishing or something and couldn't be reached to make the decision to mind his store. He obviously didn't ever check-in to see if things were normal. If the cashier didn't drive, he probably didn't know the difference. When I was young and worked a store like this, I made $3.35 an hour (some time ago). I didn't know and couldn't have cared less how much gas cost. The register showed only the final cost owed, not the gallons purchased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive