U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 18,826 times

Advertisements

I read this whole thread and no one mentioned a single company I could get quotes from, so here's my situation, I'd appreciate some feedback and/or specific recommendations on trustworthy vehicle transport.

I have a well maintained 2004 with 125K miles on it. I have a new job in Southern California and I live currently in central Florida. It's a 37 hour drive according to google maps. For me that would take about 5 days. The thing no one seems to consider is that your time is worth money. In my case I really don't have the 5 days to spend driving the car, and I really prefer not to have some other "professional" drive it for me.

The company I'm getting a job with offers reimbursement of moving expenses up to a limit, which I can spend however I want. I won't be bringing many possessions overall (probably a small trailers worth), so I feel it's worth the time, stress, and wear and tear I will save to have someone ship (not drive) the car for me.

I prefer an enclosed carrier of course, seems safest. I'd go for someone to tow it for me also, depending on price difference. I'd gladly pay 1,000-$1,500 for one of these options. I'm worried with all the risks that just googling someone I'll end up with a horror story myself.

So to recap, I don't want to drive from FL to CA because it's not worth 4-5 days of my time and the mileage. Also the company will reimburse me.

I need a couple names of good companies that do either 'dolly-towing' or enclosed shipping.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 AM

220 posts, read 710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpl_haze View Post
I read this whole thread and no one mentioned a single company I could get quotes from, so here's my situation, I'd appreciate some feedback and/or specific recommendations on trustworthy vehicle transport.

I have a well maintained 2004 with 125K miles on it. I have a new job in Southern California and I live currently in central Florida. It's a 37 hour drive according to google maps. For me that would take about 5 days. The thing no one seems to consider is that your time is worth money. In my case I really don't have the 5 days to spend driving the car, and I really prefer not to have some other "professional" drive it for me.

The company I'm getting a job with offers reimbursement of moving expenses up to a limit, which I can spend however I want. I won't be bringing many possessions overall (probably a small trailers worth), so I feel it's worth the time, stress, and wear and tear I will save to have someone ship (not drive) the car for me.

I prefer an enclosed carrier of course, seems safest. I'd go for someone to tow it for me also, depending on price difference. I'd gladly pay 1,000-$1,500 for one of these options. I'm worried with all the risks that just googling someone I'll end up with a horror story myself.

So to recap, I don't want to drive from FL to CA because it's not worth 4-5 days of my time and the mileage. Also the company will reimburse me.

I need a couple names of good companies that do either 'dolly-towing' or enclosed shipping.

Thanks!!
I have done twice. From Seattle to Boston and Boston to Seattle. It was a few years ago. I used auto shippers like the dealers would use to transport cars to their dealership. It took about 5 days and they delivered the car to the front of your house if the street is accessible by the 18 wheelers. Otherwise, you would come to pick it up at a nearby shopping center. I think it was between $900-1200. My car was a RAV4. I think I use DAS (dependable auto shippers) the last time.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:23 AM

2,733 posts, read 2,572,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpl_haze View Post

Thanks!!
Reliable Carriers, Inc. | Vehicles Taken Seriously.
I saw these guys advertising during Mecum auto auctions on tv, I've gotten email quotes from them that kinda were all over the place. You do have to keep your eyes open for different big name Car Auctions where many carriers will be booked solid before and after the said auctions. I bought a Mercedes a month ago from a dealer in Atlanta and they paid for the shipping (it wasn't hidden in any fees, etc...) but it came on an exposed trailer which caused no problems and was better then me paying $1k+ to ship it.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,442,327 times
Rent a one-way tow trailer or drive it !!!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:37 PM

358 posts, read 620,433 times
Push it

Old 02-07-2014, 01:06 PM

Nzone & Warmer, thanks very much. I will look into those carriers.

Need4speed2012 - thanks for not reading my post and/or completely missing the point.
Brendan - Usofunny

Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,977,259 times
Last summer friend went to Uship to ship a honda accord..
dover, NH to Oakland, CA
1,200-1,300
Guy picked car up in 2 days..
Was in Oakland depot within a week.. They were pleased

Se went to uship.com

Ive personally also used DAS.. northern NJ to San Francisco, volvo wagon, 1,200 but that was 5 years ago

Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,977,259 times
Everyine i know that has used DAS has been pleased..

Old 02-07-2014, 02:01 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Call my wife. She has nothing better to do and would love a cross-country drive. Pay her for the gas and a plane ticket home. Responsible, competent driver, non-smoker-drinker, no points on license.

Ask around among people you know -- probably lots of people around who would do that.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 PM

jtur88, if you're talking to me, again thanks for not reading and/or missing the entire point of my post.

Minibrings & everyone else suggesting DAS - I suggest you read just a couple of the google reviews (current rating of 2.1 stars) and tell me you'd risk your car with this company.

In the last month there are more horror stories than any company should have in a year. I will definitely avoid these guys if possible. My car is not in mint condition, but I know where every scratch on it is and have no desire to get more damage from a careless carrier who call themselves "Dependable".

I'm ok paying for a reliable & well respected service. I've put an auction up on Ubid and will see what I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive