Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:11 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Honda had MAJOR MAJOR transmission issues in the early 2000s for quite some time. It's no surprise that they eventually added an extra cooler. Similar to some design changes JATCO was forced to do with their CVTs following their 1st gen issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:25 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Do what you want I’ll just keep on driving my automatic the way it is i I’ve been driving since the 70’s never had a problem, but people get carried away with things that are really not necessary for daily driving. Automatic transmission are already cooled through the radiator and for a daily driver vehicle that’s all you need. People today spend to much money on things that are really not needed if additional transmission coolers and oil coolers were needed automakers would of had them added to the vehicle.
That's not necessarily true though...... Auto makers design vehicles to last long enough to get through the warranty period. That's about when a lot of radiators with the cheap plastic side tanks will crack and allow trans fluid and coolant to mix. An aftermarket cooler is pretty cheap insurance.

Step up to the 3/4-1 ton truck world and you'll find that they have coolers for just about everything. It's cheaper to stick on the extra coolers than to pay out warranty claims for engines and transmissions.

My transmission was running a bit warmer than it should have been and causing it to shift oddly on my 02 Jeep Wrangler so I bought an aftermarket $40 transmission cooler and rerouted the fluid away from the radiator. Not long after the radiator side tank cracked. I found coolant weeping from the old lower transmission line inlet, so had I not taken the precaution coolant could have found its way into the transmission.

Often enough, the factory components are fine. But there are times where you need a little help. Just depends on the circumstances.

As for fluid change intervals.... I think it depends on the vehicle. My wife's Expedition manual claims 150k miles before the first transmission fluid change. Considering the weight of the vehicle I choose to disagree and change it at 60k intervals.

My Ram 2500 manual states 60k-120k miles between changes depending on how the truck is used. Since I tow a 10k lb camper with it fairly often I stick to 60k mile intervals. My cost is about $300 to change it and the filter, but a whole lot cheaper than a $6k transmission.

If you've waited too long though and got 100k miles plus, it's sometimes better just to leave it alone at that point. Metal particles build up between the gearing and creates a wear gap. The particles are sometimes all that really keep it going. Clean those out with fresh fluid and the gap between the gears becomes larger without the particles and can lead to a transmission failure.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:51 AM

712 posts, read 529,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Honda had MAJOR MAJOR transmission issues in the early 2000s for quite some time. It's no surprise that they eventually added an extra cooler. Similar to some design changes JATCO was forced to do with their CVTs following their 1st gen issues.
You are such a nissan fan boy. Do you know how many owners of early 2000 hondas that made it to 200-300k mileage on the original tranny? As long as you do all your maintence you're ok

And almost all the problems were relegated to v-6 models, while 4 cyclinder were usually ok. Probably too much torque. That being said, I'm not a honda fanboy and I keep it real. They DID have a problem and you'd have a certain failure rate in v-6 models even if you do all your fluid flushes on time.

You are totally emotional about nissan because nissan cars worked well for you, but you're quick to attack honda. Jatco has never fixed their cvt problems so far. We'll see if 2016/17/18 models hold up as they reach higher mileage, but 15's are already starting to show high failure rates and 13's are a disaster. Tech's are still replacing these at much higher rate than traditional automatics.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:25 AM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
I've been changing tranny fluid at about 100k, which has generally been the manufacturer recommendation.. I've rebuilt a couple doing that. well, had a couple rebuilt.

I just got a new vehicle.. I'm going with the 60k interval.. The good part.. my new vehicle shows Transmission Fluid Temp.. The funny thing.. The hottest I've ever seen it is about 130 degrees. Hot day in stop and go traffic.

Everything I can find shows that under 200 is your happy range, but that normal operating temp is about 175. I've not even gotten close to that. But.. My theory right now is that if I see it start creeping towards 200.. Time to change the fluid.

Is that still accurate that 175 or so is the 'normal' operating temp? And that below 200 is where you want to be?

Old 08-30-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've been changing tranny fluid at about 100k, which has generally been the manufacturer recommendation.. I've rebuilt a couple doing that. well, had a couple rebuilt.

I just got a new vehicle.. I'm going with the 60k interval.. The good part.. my new vehicle shows Transmission Fluid Temp.. The funny thing.. The hottest I've ever seen it is about 130 degrees. Hot day in stop and go traffic.

Everything I can find shows that under 200 is your happy range, but that normal operating temp is about 175. I've not even gotten close to that. But.. My theory right now is that if I see it start creeping towards 200.. Time to change the fluid.

Is that still accurate that 175 or so is the 'normal' operating temp? And that below 200 is where you want to be?
I think that depends on how it's used. A lot of mountainous areas may see higher temps. My trans temp on my Ram usually stays around 160 in the summer, and 145-150 in the winter if I am driving empty to work. But pulling my camper in the summer up hills I've seen it creep to 185-190. I don't know if temperature has anything to do with fluid condition as much as the conditions you are driving in.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:30 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I think that depends on how it's used. A lot of mountainous areas may see higher temps. My trans temp on my Ram usually stays around 160 in the summer, and 145-150 in the winter if I am driving empty to work. But pulling my camper in the summer up hills I've seen it creep to 185-190. I don't know if temperature has anything to do with fluid condition as much as the conditions you are driving in.

I've always heard that it's the heat that takes out a transmission. I know next to nothing about them. But I do know that anything that says it has "Lifetime" fluid means that you won't get the lifetime out of it that someone who changes the fluid would.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I've always heard that it's the heat that takes out a transmission. I know next to nothing about them. But I do know that anything that says it has "Lifetime" fluid means that you won't get the lifetime out of it that someone who changes the fluid would.
Lifetime fluid just means it's good for the life of the transmission. It doesn't mean the transmission will last a lifetime. It could die at 30k miles, 130k miles, or 230k miles. They don't mention that the fluid may shorten transmission life. Wouldn't fit well in their marketing scheme.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:57 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
You are such a nissan fan boy. Do you know how many owners of early 2000 hondas that made it to 200-300k mileage on the original tranny? As long as you do all your maintence you're ok

And almost all the problems were relegated to v-6 models, while 4 cyclinder were usually ok. Probably too much torque. That being said, I'm not a honda fanboy and I keep it real. They DID have a problem and you'd have a certain failure rate in v-6 models even if you do all your fluid flushes on time.

You are totally emotional about nissan because nissan cars worked well for you, but you're quick to attack honda. Jatco has never fixed their cvt problems so far. We'll see if 2016/17/18 models hold up as they reach higher mileage, but 15's are already starting to show high failure rates and 13's are a disaster. Tech's are still replacing these at much higher rate than traditional automatics.
What's with you? I currently drive an Acura TL. It's my 3rd one. I'm not attacking Honda at all.
I just stated a fact that, yes, they had some major issues in the early 2000s.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:30 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
That’s the way Honda engineers their vehicles not every manufacturer has a problem with just useing the radiator to cool their transmissions, most manufacturers have no problem doing it this way the big 3 have never put external trans or oil coolers on their light duty vehicles unless it’s the police package that the regular consumer can’t get.
Actually, at least with ford, before the vic went fleet only in 08, a civilian could indeed ordee a police package crown victoria. It was cheaper and comparible to/exceeding the performance of the LX Sport.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:36 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Yes it is, which I explained in my longwinded post to Easy63.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive