U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:46 PM

239 posts, read 765,995 times

Advertisements

I'm about to buy a different car and will be getting rid of my current car one way or the other. It's a 1999 Mits Diamante. The last two years I have worked as a courier so I now have almost 250,000 miles on the car. The main mechanical problem I have is a bad oil leak. I have to put a quart of oil in it every thousand miles. It has other annoying problems ex left front window won't go down, needs a master switch, the six disk changer does not work anymore, and it does not have an MP3 player.

The interior is messy. I eat in it almost every day. I do a quick clean up often, but it has been a while since really tried to detail it. Not having a garage and being constantly outside has taken a toll on the exterior. It could really use a paint job. The left front bumper was hit by tread of a recap tire it hit and tore the area near the turn signal so the turn signal light can only go half way back into its hole, but it still works.

The car still runs well so I hate to scrap it, but I also don't want to put money it to sell, and don't want put a lot of time into cleaning it up. I'm also a very private person and don't want to deal with a lot calls and scam operators from Craigslist. If the difference will only be a couple hundred dollars I would just rather scrap it and save the aggravation.
Should I scrap it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,298,664 times
I know what you mean about craigslist, but it might be worth some money to try putting an ad up for a while. Once you get your new car, you can find an acceptable place to park your Mits with a for-sale sign in it, and then can meet people there after screening them over the phone. Having lots of pics will weed out many people, and a descriptive and well written (but brief) ad can protect you if anyone has an issue. I'd leave out things like "doesn't have an MP3 player". It also doesn't have a V8, 4WD, or seating for 6, but what it didn't come with is irrelevant. Stick to facts, keep it simple, no BS.

My ads never have a phone number, so people have to respond via email. That lets me weed out a lot of crap immediately. Then I may trade an email or two before making contact by phone. Generally, at that point, I'm dealing only with potential buyers.

I'm frequently surprised by what people will pay for things I thought had little value. Reliable transportation, especially with decent MPG, is worth now than it has for a long time.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,335,182 times
When you nuy a new/newer car just trade it and tell the salesman ya wana knock off an extra 100$'s.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,611 posts, read 54,185,975 times
It's not worth the hassle of answering the phone and waiting for people that never show up for a hundred or two. Last time I had a beater to unload I just donated it to a local charity, they sell it at auction and meanwhile you get a tax deduction.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM

2,112 posts, read 3,851,817 times
I'm not opposed to donating to charities (I usually end up doing that), but it's a $500 tax write-off, so you're looking at a max of <$200 back. Last time I scrapped a car, I got almost $300 (10 years ago). You can pretty much sell any running car for almost $1000. Is it worth the hassle?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,042,557 times
Park it at a local shopping center with a "For Sale" sign in window in a "poorer" section of town. Someone will make an offer if the price is right. Also, you can make MORE money selling it as a "parts" car by advertising parts on eBAY, Craigslist, etc.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 AM

861 posts, read 2,383,032 times
Put the car on Craigslist. I keep seeing people crying about how hard it is and how much hassle it is... If you have so much money and you time is so valuable then scrap it. Otherwise spend a afternoon cleaning the car up. Take 4 good pics of it and post the car.

It's true that a lot of the calls will be BS but it's worth it. You should be able to get $1500 out of it even in that condition. If $1500 for a few hours work isn't worth it then .............

Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 AM

32,324 posts, read 26,200,084 times
as long as the car is running, there is hope. three things you can do instead of scrapping the car are;

1: use it as a trade in on your new car

2: put an ad in the local paper/dandy dime/ thrifty nickle/etc. if you dont want to post on craigslist

3: donate the car to a local charity like the salvation army, junque for jesus, etc.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 PM

807 posts, read 2,508,233 times
If you have a good local used car lot near by, see if they will buy it. Often they will, since it will be cheaper to buy it from you then buying something like it from a wholesaler. They can offer you a bit more then a new car dealer would, since a new car dealer isn't going to want to keep your old car on his lot and will sell it to a wholesaler.

There is a local lot that has bought a couple of my cars that aren't worth much as a trade in at a new car dealer. They sell older used cars to people on tight budgets. So look for a used lot like that since a dealer that sells newer used cars won't want it either.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,150,899 times
Whatever you do, dont sell it to someone you know. My husband and I just went through this same situation (yesterday in fact), and honestly, I wish we would have went the scrap route. We had a 12 yr old car that was no longer pretty. Dirty interior and complete rust bucket. It was on its last leg. It was a good car for us but it was ready for the car graveyard. A guy my husband works with wanted to buy it for his teenage son. My husband told him flat out the car has issues and our plan was to scrap it or give it to charity. The guy kept making a big deal about it, he wanted the car. He can fix it up blah blah. My husband told him multiple times that he is not responsible after he sells the car and he personally would not give it to his own son. He also does not want to hear about it if something goes wrong with the car. The guy said no problem. He still wanted it. A car that runs for 500 bucks was a deal to him. Fine.

The car ran fine all last week with no issues. I was driving it all over the place, grocery shopping etc. So he comes to pick it up and asks hubby to follow him home. 3 miles down the road the car dies. He said it ran out of gas. Well I know it had half a tank because I put the gas in it myself. Could be a fuel pump, who knows. So then guy isnt so sure he wants it now. Great. I get it but now the damn car is 3 miles from our house and sitting dead in a business parking lot which we can't leave there. My husband comes home and now we have this new issue of what to do with the car when we could have just had a scrap yard come to our house and get the damn thing and be done with it. The guy calls hubby up and asks if we would take 300 for it instead since he now has to put some work into it. Fine. Whatever. He promised to have the car towed at his own expense to his house. So hubby and I had to go out later that evening and drive by the business to make sure the car was indeed towed away. Hubby goes into work and immediately is approached by several guys saying, "ya we heard you ripped off Steve on that car. The thing broke down on the way home." That car is on death's door and I am sure we will not hear the end of this. What a PITA and never again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive