U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 PM

5,175 posts, read 5,443,198 times

Advertisements

My theory is that by overinflating tires, you might get better than usual MPG for now but the tread will wear unevenly. The uneven wear on the tires will cause unnecessary friction and make your vehicle use up more gas in the long run. (And this is not taking into account additional drawbacks like increased probability of a blowout, tires wearing out faster, etc.) Agree/disagree?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:24 PM

8,410 posts, read 9,336,265 times
I'd be willing to bet that there is a small range of overinflation that doesn't have a big effect on long term reliability but does give a noticeable increase in MPG. Ride quality and performance may suffer though.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 10,513,891 times
absolutely 100% incorrect.. Overinflation(not excessive overinflation) will give you longer tire life and less friction which equals better mpg. if you don't believe me take your bicycle and pump the tires to max psi + 5 psi. Then allow the pressure to go down to 15 psi under the min pressure and report back which you would rather ride your bike at

Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 PM

43,401 posts, read 47,342,340 times
Going too far in either direction will cost money. Over inflating too much can cause uneven wear in the center htrad and opposite in out edges when turning. How much depends on now you drive.Normally I find that most recommended pressures are slightly to low for best wear pattern but good for confort. Also rotating can mean a big savings in tire cost that can more than equal gas savings.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,496,163 times
It is very dangerous to under inflate any radial tire, It will cause internal friction of the steel belts and create heat which will sofen the rubber and cause the tire to explode. I had it happen to me while running 70mph on the interstate. The tire was a high dollar michelin too.Tires need to be set according to limits posted on the tire with little variance.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 AM

8,410 posts, read 9,336,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
It is very dangerous to under inflate any radial tire, It will cause internal friction of the steel belts and create heat which will sofen the rubber and cause the tire to explode. I had it happen to me while running 70mph on the interstate. The tire was a high dollar michelin too.Tires need to be set according to limits posted on the tire with little variance.
Actually they need to be set according to the vehicle spec, which is usually found on the driver's door pillar. The limits stamped on the tire are just that; limits not to be exceeded. They are not intended to be for everyday use.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 AM

4,075 posts, read 13,417,192 times
Over-inflation (increased during driving) can have negative affects on handling and can be a safety issue. It is best to stay within 10% of the recommended pressure.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,513,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Over-inflation (increased during driving) can have negative affects on handling and can be a safety issue. It is best to stay within 10% of the recommended pressure.

agreed.. I do not think anyone here is thinking of pumping the tires to 60 psi when the limit is 40 or so.. I have mine at 40-45 or so when the max is 40..

Old 05-27-2011, 02:51 PM

5,175 posts, read 5,443,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
agreed.. I do not think anyone here is thinking of pumping the tires to 60 psi when the limit is 40 or so.. I have mine at 40-45 or so when the max is 40..
My idea of overinflation is pumping it to 40 when the max allowed is 44 and the manufacturer's recommendation is 40.

I've been told it improves MPG for now and makes the treads wear faster.

Now, my main question, still unanswered is:

Will I get less MPG once the treads wear out faster? The cost of tires isn't a huge issue since they cost roughly the same as fuel for 2-3 months and they're supposed to last 65K miles.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:54 PM

4,075 posts, read 13,417,192 times
I used to race sports cars (street legal R-compound tries) and would start the day with 28psi and would have to pit in a few laps to reduce the pressure (back down to 30) because it would climb over 40psi (heat build) which would give less traction. Transient temps can climb 50% for short periods under heavy loads.

Even though drivers often prefer higher pressures because they feel more responsive at moderate speeds the real fact is they have less grip and the vehicle will lose traction more easily. The best inflation most of the time is what the vehicle manufacturer recommends.

Over-inflation offers more disadvantages than advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive