Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 02:39 PM

288 posts, read 717,013 times

Advertisements

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L 4x4

I got a "Transmission Over Temp" indicator while driving home on the highway last night. I immediately slowed to 50mph to get home.

The vehicle has been shifting back and forth so it seems while driving - especially at 30-35 mph. It was doing this while on the highway now. It also slips while backing out of my driveway in reverse (slight incline).

I took it to a quick lube place to check the fluids (I was not sure how to check trans fluid). He showed me it was fine - proper level and clean.

Now I'm stuck for the holiday - total bummer. There are no transmission mechanics available at the dealer this weekend and they can't look at it until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Any feedback on what this could be is appreciated. I checked a few forums and it could be anything. However, when I called the dealer he said something about clutch or converter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 02:53 PM

The dealer said I could bring it in first thing Monday to see if they can diagnose. I am hoping it is something simple but since it is slipping in reverse that has me worried.

Lesson learned - DO NOT buy Jeep! I've had many very pricey problems with that thing.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:50 AM

654 posts, read 3,455,726 times
Can't say that for all Jeeps....my friend has a 2002 Jeep GC Laredo and aside from normal maintenance, it has never given her problems. Driven it to FL and back with no issues. You should ensure that the 4-wheel drive mode is in 2WD for normal driving.

As far as slippage, usually that's caused by low tranny fluid but if the lube place claims that the level is where it should be then there should be no slippage. May need to check the sensor too.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks. It's at the dealer now. I think it may be a sensor of sorts as it jitters when driving at one speed. When in reverse this morning it had trouble backing out with lots of jitter. They are super busy and so I may not know until later today or tomorrow.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My guess is $2,600 for a rebuild.

I have had 2 older Cherokees, 89 and 96 and both went close to 200k miles without any problems. They are decent vehicles, if well maintained will serve you well. How many miles on yours? Have you changed the fluid every 60k miles?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. Dealer called earlier and said my torque converter needs to be replaced. This includes a variety of other parts such as two clutch packs, two filters, pan sealer, fluid, transmission solenoid pack. I'm just a driver so I don't know about all of the detail. He has his best mechanic on it and he is certain it is the torque converter.

Total cost is $3500. I could certainly buy another vehicle for that amount but unfortunately I am just not in a position to do so. Also, despite my hatred of Jeep maintenance I like the vehicle itself so it is a shame. I just don't want to buy a used vehicle not knowing the history. I will definitely be purchasing a new vehicle soonest.

I entered all of my previous receipts into a spreadsheet and maintenance totals about $10,000 over 5 years. However, this includes new tires ($950 - got the Fortera Triple Treads), and another set of tires about a month ago (about $550 - Fortera HL).

Other major problems with the vehicle are replacement of water pump early on, power steering leak, front and rear differential leaking, new rear shocks, replacement of steering rack due to a front-end issue.

Also, I changed the transmission fluid regularly - 28K, 46K, 79K, 115K. Change oil every 4-6K, 4WD service four times.

I guess the moral of the story is to do research on a vehicle purchase and be certain you need a beefy 4WD vehicle with potential for a lot of maintenance. My next vehicle will be whatever gets me from point A to point B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram