Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times

Advertisements

I read about this on a Honda forum via a Subaru forum. Someone named Scotty came up with a concoction of gear lubes for worn out manual transmissions that are notchy/worn out. It's called Uncle Scotty's Cocktail:

1qt Redline lightweight shockproof
1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh
2qt Castrol Hypoy C 80w-90

That's the mix for an Impreza and would have to be adjusted for your vehicle. It sounds interesting and I have a friend with an old Ranger I might see if he will try it and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i would be very careful in suggesting someone use that concoction. some manual transmissions use automatic transmission fluid rather than gear oil, the world class T5 for instance, and using gear oil in those transmissions will end in a burnt up trans.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Yup that would kill my Volvo Stick tranny deader than a door nail. It wants Ford type F auto tranny fluid because it has over drive.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Transmission fluid cocktail? No, thanks... I would love to see what testing has been done to support using this "witch's brew".

Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
People seem to have good luck blending Redline into other cheaper lubes - but you do need to keep in mind that each lube is an engineered product, with a specific additive package, and while there is a certain amount of mixability the different products are not specifically formulated to work together.

Offhand I would think a load of regular Redline MTL or the 75-90 GL-4 they make would work better than any sort of homebrew.

The Redline shockproof products are intended for racing, the additive pack in them is not good for a lot of miles (lot of miles is up to you to define, although you could ask their tech expert on the website - shockproof is mostly for drag racing...)

All that said, if your trans is on it's last legs, and you will need to replace or rebuild soon anyway, not much to lose trying such a "cocktail". - although if you are going to rebuild it, what it probably really needs is new bearings and maybe synchros, if the bearings are failing due to brinnelling, game over and no sort of magic lube is going to help. Keep running with bad bearings and you may damage the gears themselves, while if you replace the bearings as soon as it starts to pop out of gear or otherwise indicate "it's time" generally the gears are fine.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yup that would kill my Volvo Stick tranny deader than a door nail. It wants Ford type F auto tranny fluid because it has over drive.
Yes, that is what killed my tranny in my 1968 Volvo 1800. Shop put in 90 weight instead of ATF. Overdrive was a huge paper weight after that.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
I was doing more reading about this and the cocktail is supposed to be used as a "last resort" before a rebuild or tranny replacement. Would I try it in my car? Well, I only have 2,800 miles on it, so not yet.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
The Subaru WRX guys run this stuff as their transmissions are such crap and fail pretty readily with aggressive use or if the car is modified. The original blend was specifically made to help eek out a little more use from a WRX transmission. The guy who developed it is a major Subaru head and knew what he was doing for THAT car/trans. If I had a WRX with a failing trans, I'd run it as many people have and reported good results, but these were people replacing the ENTIRE trans for an upgraded unit when their original one finally went. If you head over to the NASIOC forum, there is a 90+ page thread dedicated to it.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
if it were me, the cocktail i would use it a good synthetic 75w90 gear oil and a can of either STP or lucas oil treatment. i have used both in dying manual transmissions to good effect.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The Subaru WRX guys run this stuff as their transmissions are such crap and fail pretty readily with aggressive use or if the car is modified. The original blend was specifically made to help eek out a little more use from a WRX transmission. The guy who developed it is a major Subaru head and knew what he was doing for THAT car/trans. If I had a WRX with a failing trans, I'd run it as many people have and reported good results, but these were people replacing the ENTIRE trans for an upgraded unit when their original one finally went. If you head over to the NASIOC forum, there is a 90+ page thread dedicated to it.

actually....this is VERY false...one of the wives tales of the whole thing, I'm afraid

i had an 02 wrx that never shifted quite right and i tried many different lubes in it....there was NOTHING mechanically wrong with the transmission
the fact that the ring and pinion share the same bath as the trans gears and synchros makes getting the lube right quite difficult and most of the synthetic lubes are too slippery for the synchros and cause grunching and grinding

I had a couple ideas from researching on the 'net and mixed the v1 cocktail up and it was SO MUCH better...quite shocking, really

oh....and that car was 300whp for 70k miles and driven quite hard....the original transmission and clutch were in it when it was traded in for an 06 wrx which i put the v2 cocktail in at 10k miles...and which now has 92k hard driven miles and going strong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive