Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 06:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 3,549,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
A lot of posts are mentioning the 'alternator'. It's probably not the alternator but the voltage regulator in the alternator. If you have an electrical multi-tester, [$5] set it to DC 20v, place probes on battery. Reading should be 12.6-13v. Start car, when volts drop, voltage reg will kick on and meter will show volt increase to over 13v. If no changes, volt reg is defective.
Also, battery connections must be tight, and the neg. ground must have a clean, tight connection to ground [which could be frame, body]
Actually the most common cause of a non-charging alternator is worn-out brushes.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
I put a new battery in my 98 ford Mustang and it won't even start with jumper cables on them.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:47 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigon420 View Post
I put a new battery in my 98 ford Mustang and it won't even start with jumper cables on them.

Does it click when you turn on the ignition key to start position? The problem is probably the starter or the starter solenoid relay on the fender well, close to the battery.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,747 times
Just bought a new battery for our 2009 volkswagon tiguan. It worked for a few days. My husband took it to work parked it for and hour or so but when he tried to turn it on it wouldnt start. The battery was charged for a few hours was put back on but when he tried turning on it wouldn't. Front lights turned on but heard just clicking. Its been a year since we started having problems. Alternator was checked it was fine. We have gone through about four batteries. Please help!!

Old 04-15-2016, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,665 times
Can anyone help me,why my car every day morning need jump start,when I parking outside ALL night.thank you.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:28 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longchen01424 View Post
Can anyone help me,why my car every day morning need jump start,when I parking outside ALL night.thank you.
Either your battery is very old and not holding voltage level in the early morning cold or you are leaving some small accessory light/appliance on that is draining the battery.

Go over your car to see if anything at all is on. My kids used to turn on small lights in the back of my car and I did not notice when i parked so the next day the battery would be flat.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:32 AM

15,394 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Either your battery is very old and not holding voltage level in the early morning cold or you are leaving some small accessory light/appliance on that is draining the battery.

Go over your car to see if anything at all is on. My kids used to turn on small lights in the back of my car and I did not notice when i parked so the next day the battery would be flat.
One other possibility:

The new battery is the wrong one for your car. I had that happen once. It would start only a couple of times and then when you come back an hour later, it had to be jumped.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,345 times
I left my light on an when I went out my car wouldn't start the next morning.the battery I had had a lot of corrosion on it so I knew I needed to get a new battery. but the new battery would not start my car so I clean the corrosion off the cable and still would not start would start/ not turn over just silent. I replaced starter last year.also I do get lights inside the car.the hazards work also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive