U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 PM

130 posts, read 322,693 times

Advertisements

I just put a new battery in my 95 Accord and the next day, I had to jump start it again several times. I got the battery replaced with another new one and still wouldn't start on its own. Someone suggested it might be a short. Could I please get some help on what this might be. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 PM

4,466 posts, read 5,173,834 times
Alternator

Check if it charges.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:10 AM

889 posts, read 1,930,555 times
You are at the stage that someone has to test different parts and see whats going on. Possible choices are: Alternator not charging, so the battery gets drained. Poor connection, either at the battery or the ground. Parasitic drain. When you say it does not start, I am assuming it does not crank, because if it cranks then we are talking something else.
All the above could be tested, most parts stores would test your alternator for free in the hopes of selling you one. The connections could be looked at by yourself. The parasitic drain needs a meter. I would not throw parts at the car unless you are pretty sure you are changing the correct part, otherwise it would end up costing more.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 AM

11,159 posts, read 8,062,060 times
Alternator is probably dead.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,910,563 times
When you put in the 2nd new battery, did it start at all or did it do the same thing where it lasted a day or so and then wouldn't work? If the 2nd new battery never could start the car, I would say bad connection somewhere or maybe even a bad starter. If the 2nd new battery worked for a day or so and then died, it's definitely a charging system problem (probably dead alternator).

Mike

Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 AM

19,127 posts, read 11,342,056 times
Might be a bad alt with worn brushes, or a bad start motor with worn brushes.

What do you hear when you turn the key to crank the engine over?

Just clicking noises?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM

16,752 posts, read 16,220,528 times
And also check the serpentine/fan belt. One that is loose or even with a flat spot will sometimes skip just enough to not allow the alternator to charge the battery.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM

42 posts, read 96,649 times
If it's making the 'clicking' sound and won't turn over with a brand new battery, I'd wager a bet that it was the alternator, too. My local Advance Auto tested my battery and alternator for free (and ended up selling me a battery, which it needed)...I would check one (or a similar store) out in your area.

Best of luck...

Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM

889 posts, read 1,930,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegirlncsu View Post
If it's making the 'clicking' sound and won't turn over with a brand new battery, I'd wager a bet that it was the alternator, too. My local Advance Auto tested my battery and alternator for free (and ended up selling me a battery, which it needed)...I would check one (or a similar store) out in your area.

Best of luck...
That, usually is a sign of a bad starter motor.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM

4,466 posts, read 5,173,834 times
If it's the starter motor you can sometimes get it going by "wiggling" the car a little (Jump up and down in your seat some or move violently back an forth.

My mom used that trick on a Toyota for 4 months before changing out the starter motor and my wife drove her old car for two years. It can be a pain, but it would usually do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive