Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 02:56 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned claying your car.
That is a great idea in about a year, as long as you keep up the detailing of it for the year.
I don't use a clay bar like what they sell at the auto parts stores but, instead I use plumber's putty which is available at any hardware store.
It works every bit as good as those expensive clay bars.
I did my Tbird about a month ago, and just the other day, did one fender on my pickup to see how good the truck will look when finished.
Hard to believe this is an 11 year old pickup.
I can hardly wait to see the truck when it is finished.
Again, never seen a car wash ever, and never will.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 03:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Someone mentioned claying your car.
That is a great idea in about a year, as long as you keep up the detailing of it for the year.
I don't use a clay bar like what they sell at the auto parts stores but, instead I use plumber's putty which is available at any hardware store.
It works every bit as good as those expensive clay bars.
I did my Tbird about a month ago, and just the other day, did one fender on my pickup to see how good the truck will look when finished.
Hard to believe this is an 11 year old pickup.
I can hardly wait to see the truck when it is finished.
Again, never seen a car wash ever, and never will.

Bob.
Yeah, I use the clay bar about once every 6 months to year, depending on how much driving I've done and in what conditions. I do it less now that I'm out in the desert.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
The best wax for the money is Collinite. I use their insulator wax and it last and beads better than any other wax that I have used.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:24 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
I use Rejex, only found online. It's used on privately owned airplanes. It lasts my dark colored cars parked outside about a whole year. My uncle in Florida loves it because it lasts even in the FL sun. It even lasts a long time on rims, which usually get warm and wax wears off quickly. You can use it on your windshield for the rainex affect, without making the wipers jump across the window.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:04 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
This works for me:
1. Never use a commercial drive through car wash.
2. Never use soap wash.
3. Wash down car with soft or regular water and hand wipe dry monthly.
4. Wax Turtle soft wax and buff every 3 months by hand.
5. Armour all protectant all rubber parts every 6 months.
6. Inspect at the end of each road trip, remove bugs, etc.
My vehicle is a 1999 and looks new.
If the vehicle is outside step up the program. Tint the windows.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
This works for me:
1. Never use a commercial drive through car wash.
2. Never use soap wash.
3. Wash down car with soft or regular water and hand wipe dry monthly.
4. Wax Turtle soft wax and buff every 3 months by hand.
5. Armour all protectant all rubber parts every 6 months.
6. Inspect at the end of each road trip, remove bugs, etc.
My vehicle is a 1999 and looks new.
If the vehicle is outside step up the program. Tint the windows.
I don't know, but it seems to me like you would scratch the paint by drying the car with out removing the road grim with soap. Water alone doesn't remove all of the grim.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
I don't know, but it seems to me like you would scratch the paint by drying the car with out removing the road grim with soap. Water alone doesn't remove all of the grim.

It does if you have a good coat of wax on the vehicle.
Stuff doesn't stick to the finish if you have a good coat of wax on it, and plain ole water will remove anything on the surface.
Bob.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
It does if you have a good coat of wax on the vehicle.
Stuff doesn't stick to the finish if you have a good coat of wax on it, and plain ole water will remove anything on the surface.
Bob.
Water will not remove petroleum based dirt such as oil or tar.

Regardless of whether or not wax is on the car, soap removes dirt better than plain water. Car wash soap won't remove wax like dishwasher soap will.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Water will not remove petroleum based dirt such as oil or tar.

Regardless of whether or not wax is on the car, soap removes dirt better than plain water. Car wash soap won't remove wax like dishwasher soap will.
Never thought about oil or tar, but then I would never drive any of my vehicles where they could come in contact with either.
Bob.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Never thought about oil or tar, but then I would never drive any of my vehicles where they could come in contact with either.
Bob.
I find it hard to believe you have never driven over some of these things and have them end up on your car. Oil gets on roads because people drive on them with cars or Harleys that leak.

And do you always know ahead of time where they may have done road repairs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive