Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

I've been using Meguiars Deep Crystal car wash and NXT TechWax. Seems to work pretty well.

I've thought about trying Liquid Glass since I've read good reviews on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Yes - Calguy's cars look very good and I am impressed.

But "Bob" doesn't even understand what clay does. It doesn't polish the finish. It has no microabrasives in it, can't remove scratches, etc. Clay "grabs" grit on the surface of the paint that doesn't come off with washing. When you rub your hand on the paint after it is washed while it is wet you can often feel tiny pieces of dirt. Clay does a great job of removing that. If as he says nothing will stick to paint with wax on it he would never have to clay his cars.

BTW - I was in Santa Monica three weeks ago. Ate breakfast on Washington Blvd. They were repaving half that street in the morning with brand new asphalt. Anyone driving on the other half of the road had to drive over loose asphalt making any turns. I was driving my son's car and had that unmistakable sound of asphalt sticking to the tires as we turned on and off Washington ave.
Whether he uses correct methods and/or products, is debatable.
Whether he understands what each steps of a detail actually does, I won't comment. I think the important thing is that he does clay... or at least some form of clay.

I agree with you 100% in that you could have x number of coats of wax, but that will not deter contaminants getting on your paint. If wax did such a good job of it, there would be no need for clay at all for those well maintained cars. They may not be visible to the human eye, but you can definitely feel them.

Last edited by C8N; 06-25-2013 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Whether he uses correct methods and/or products, is debatable.
Whether he understands what each steps of a detail actually does, I won't comment. I think the important thing is that he does clay... or at least some form of clay.

I agree with you 100% in that you could have x number of coats of wax, but that will not deter contaminants getting on your paint. If wax did such a good job of it, there would be no need for clay at all for those well maintained cars. They may not be visible to the human eye, but you can definitely feel them.

I absolutely agree that contaminants DO get on the vehicle finish over time, and need to be removed.
What I differ with from most is how I accomplish keeping these contaminants to a minimum.
Up until a couple of months ago, I had never heard of a clay bar, or claying.
Some one on another forum I belong to, after seeing a picture of my Thunderbird stated," your car looks beautiful,but I'LL bet if you rub your hand over the finish, you will feel tiny specs of dirt or contaminants."
Well, that following morning I did rub my hand over the finish, and I could feel a fine grit to the finish.
Being that I am religious about keeping my vehicles looking their best, I was amazed that the finish was not as clean as I thought it was, even though it looked it.
I read up on clay bars online,and it was then that I decided plumber's putty, being in the clay family, I would try it.
The rest is history.
I stated I never would ever use any kind of soap on any vehicle of mine, and for the most part that is true.
The only time I will ever use soap is when I want to remove wax from the finish prior to claying.
As I said before, soap is a great wax remover, which is why I would NEVER use it at any time ,on any of my vehicles unless I plan to clay the finish afterwards.
As proven by the pictures I posted, plumber's putty works as well, if not better than a clay bar, and the best part is the money I didn't have to spend on one of those clay bar kits.
Bob.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM
C8N

Just as a FYI... clay can remove wax so you should always wax after claying.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Sigh...

Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 AM
C8N

^ You don't enjoy these conversations?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:54 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
^ You don't enjoy these conversations?
I enjoy parts of them, yes. Others...not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive