U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 AM

9,074 posts, read 18,625,683 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a brand new kia. I've never had a brand new car before and have some questions about washing / waxing a car with such a fresh paint job. I recall years ago being told that you should wait a while before waxing a new car. Any truth to this?

Also, are there any high quality car wash products and waxes that you would recommend? I want to preserve the new look of my car for as long as possible and don't want to harm the finish with anything that may be too abbrasive. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 AM

9,766 posts, read 24,102,155 times
I would highly recommend Zaino Bros. products. We've used it on every car we have owned....from the Exotics to the Pick-ups. There are a few dealers around, but I have mainly bought it on-line or at car shows. It is easy to put and take off and have learned the more coats the better. Brings out a gorgeous luster of the paint. And it lasts! We live down on the Gulf Coast with lots of salt air, so it is important to us to have great paint protection. Good luck with the new ride!
Zaino Store

Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 AM

13,591 posts, read 17,043,342 times
Zaino is a great product and I know many car show folks who swear by it. If you are looking for something good and readily available in most retail stores, than you can't beat the Meguiar's line.

As for waiting to wax a new car, it really isn't necessary anymore. A car that rolled out of a body shop with fresh paint will generally come with a recommendation of waiting 30-90 days before waxing depending on the paint and process used. A new car has generally been sitting around for at least that long, so no need to wait. If you want to be cautious, give it a month or so.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 AM

4,049 posts, read 13,193,073 times
Another vote for Zaino... it is expensive but effective.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,889,094 times
I give a vote for Meguiar's. It can be found just about anywhere but you can not beat their reputation. It is easy to use and last a long time.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM

12,721 posts, read 12,969,122 times
Zaino is a borderline cult. It is ridiculously expensive. I can accept the idea that if you "show" cars it might be worth it. But then again it might not be worth it. Its almost like people who swear that their $100 HDMI cable produces a better picture than the $5 one from Amazon.

A reputable brand, widely available almost everywhere, and used by many car hobbyists is Meguiars. If you do the following, you can keep your car looking very good with a modest effort and investment.

1. wash with soft water if possible, and not in direct sun or when the paint is hot (to prevent rapid drying and water spots)

2. use two buckets for washing. One has the car wash soap, the other bucket with water to rinse your sponge before putting it back in the bucket with soap. You want your sponge to not gain dirt over time - which prevents adding tiny scratches to your paint as you wash.

3. a car wash soap is better than dishwasher detergent because it doesn't remove wax.

4. wax your car when it stops beading water. You can wash before waxing with liquid dishwashing detergent to strip the old wax.

5. use a clay bar periodically to remove dirt that has adhered to the paint. I use a clay bar when I feel roughness on the paint after I have washed a section. I test when the car is still wet so my hands slide easily over the paint.

I like Meguairs NXT wax. Goes on easily, doesn't dust too much, is fairly long lasting, and isn't too difficult to wipe off. Nanowax is really good at hiding surface scratches on goes on very easily, but it doesn't last long.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 AM

8,410 posts, read 8,921,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I recently purchased a brand new kia. I've never had a brand new car before and have some questions about washing / waxing a car with such a fresh paint job. I recall years ago being told that you should wait a while before waxing a new car. Any truth to this?

Also, are there any high quality car wash products and waxes that you would recommend? I want to preserve the new look of my car for as long as possible and don't want to harm the finish with anything that may be too abbrasive. Thanks!
As someone else said, your car has probably been out of the paint booth for months. There should be a tag on the drivers door of doorframe that gives you the build month and year. That being said, you should clay bar the car now. Clay will remove all surface contaminants from the paint. When paint is soft (new) things can more easily get into the paint. Rail dust from the car being brought inland via train, and all the usual contaminants. Google rail dust, it can be nasty stuff. It doesn't hurt the paint at all, and prepares it for the next steps. Run your fingers lightly acroos the paint. Does it feel like glass (at least closer to glass), or are there tiny bumps that the ridges of your fingerprints are catching on? You want smoooooooth.

The general plan:

1. Wash. A good brand car wash solution most of the time, or Dawn when you want to strip off all the wax.

2. Clay bar. Now, then as necessary to keep the paint smoooooooth.

3. Buff. Get surface scratches and smudges off the paint. This may be a quick towel-and-bottle process, or may require multiple steps with a buffer.

4. Polish. Get the paint shiny, and smooth out all the buffing marks. This is what makes a car really look good.

5. Wax. This seals the now-polished finish and protects it and the paint.

I've never used it, but now that my car was just detailed, I'm going to try the detailer-in-a-bottle stuff. Supposedly it's much better than just watching the car. I see people at car meets and shows using it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I would highly recommend Zaino Bros. products. We've used it on every car we have owned....from the Exotics to the Pick-ups. There are a few dealers around, but I have mainly bought it on-line or at car shows. It is easy to put and take off and have learned the more coats the better. Brings out a gorgeous luster of the paint. And it lasts! We live down on the Gulf Coast with lots of salt air, so it is important to us to have great paint protection. Good luck with the new ride!
Zaino Store
My GTO was detailed yesterday with Zaino, and it looks better than it ever has. It is very expensive. Going forward I'll probably use it, because over the life of the car it doesn't add up to that much, and I like the results and everything I've read about it.

That being said, Meguiars, Mother's, Griot's Garage, Zymol and others are all very good auto products, at a much lower price. For most people on most cars, a good detailing regiment with any of these will produce great results. Keep in mind that the tools are important too. This may be the time to retire the old sweatshirt you've been using to wash the car, and invest in microfiber cloths. They're not expensive at all.

I'd suggest watching some Youtube videos on detailing and auto care. The wax manufacturers websites all have a lot of good info as well.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM

837 posts, read 1,143,988 times
What Hofdano and Vmaxnc said. I'm partial to Meguiars myself.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 AM

483 posts, read 649,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Zaino is a borderline cult. It is ridiculously expensive.

1. wash with soft water if possible, and not in direct sun or when the paint is hot (to prevent rapid drying and water spots)

2. use two buckets for washing. One has the car wash soap, the other bucket with water to rinse your sponge before putting it back in the bucket with soap. You want your sponge to not gain dirt over time - which prevents adding tiny scratches to your paint as you wash.

Zaino is not ridiculously expensive. It's like $2-3 more than Meguiar's or Duragloss for a comparable product like the polish.

Forget the 2-bucket method. I use the one-bucket, many-towel method. Dip your towel or sponge into the bucket, wipe the car with it, then toss it away. Then use a clean sponge, and so on. I bought a 3 5-packs of microfiber towels for this purpose. I have a black car so I'm very particular about the paint

Old 06-10-2011, 12:49 AM

2,396 posts, read 2,656,358 times
I have never been a fan of using soap on any of my vehicles, and going to a car wash is a definite no no.
You have a new vehicle, and obviously want to keep it looking new for as long as you own it.
Take a look at my 9 year old Dakota.
I bought it new in 2002, and it remains as new looking (if not better) as the day I got it.
This truck has never seen one drop of soap, or a car wash since I have owned it.
Matter of fact, I haven't taken one of my vehicles to a car wash in over fifty years, and they always looked like they just left the showroom.
How do I do it?
Very simple.
The first thing you need to ask yourself is, "how much time can I devote to keeping my new car looking like new?
If you can spend ten minutes twice a week, your car can look stunning with very little effort on your part, and NO SOAP, OR CAR WASH.
Here's how;
First thing you want to do is take a hose and a soft rag, and wipe the car down as you move the hose over it.
When finished, wipe the car dry with soft towels.
Once dry, apply a coat of wax.
There are many good waxes out there, in all different prices.
I use turtle paste wax, and it has never let me down through all the years.
Once the car is waxed, all you need to do is twice a week, take a damp rag, wipe it down, and finish with a soft towel to buff it out.
Takes roughly ten minutes.
If by chance you have driven through mud, of are a victim of pollen, or tree sap, the same rule applies, hose in one hand, rag in the other, and wipe till the surface is clean.
Soap eats wax, and what good would it do to wax it to have the soap take it off with the next wash?
I swear by this method, and have saved hundreds of dollars over the years by not having to go to a car wash.
I wax the vehicles twice a year, and the plain water does the rest.
On the chrome, I use windex.
There isn't a cleaner in the world that does a better job on chrome, than windex.
If you can take that initial hour or two to wax the car, ten minutes every week will keep your new car looking like new, even when it becomes 9 years old like my Dakota.
People are always asking me what year it is, and sometimes argue that I am lying about it's age.
I consider that a compliment.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive