U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2011, 12:06 PM

30 posts, read 72,263 times
Default Cheapest used vehicle location in US?

I'm wondering if there is a consensus on this forum as to where (and why) in the US are the top two or three city/state areas to purchase the cheapest used cars, light trucks and motorbikes.
Thanks, toddco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 PM

1,668 posts, read 5,368,976 times
In my travels, I see Northern Indiana and Michigan used cars being unusually cheap. I think it's because of the high unemployment there. Also West Virginia. If that's the case, I'd be looking at Nevada too, but I haven't been there in awhile and wouldn't know first-hand of their market. Actually, I think used cars are getting to be hot items because of the new cars' astronomical prices. I paid more for my 2011 pick-up truck then I did my first 3 houses combined.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM

8,785 posts, read 22,159,751 times
Depends on what you mean by "cheap" - late models will go down in price faster in the upper midwest because they don't call it the "rust belt" for nothing. So a 5 year old whatever will be cheaper there, but in worse shape as well, compared to something from the South or West.

You can frequently find more usable older vehicles in the South and West, example, my 82 Scirocco, bought in 1992 with a new clutch, new rings & bearings in the engine, new but crummy brake pads and shoes, new but damned awful Firestones all round - $1000. 150K+ miles later, I am still driving it. I have cleaned up a lot of details on the car, but whatever. I see a 92 Mazda MX-6 for sale locally, claimed cold air, few scrathes but good interior, apparently a decent car, for $1500.

If you can find a car from around Las Vegas, or if you want to go shop there, you might find good prices due to financial distress, but from a non-rusting climate.

Did I mention, rust never sleeps?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM

9,281 posts, read 11,130,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you can find a car from around Las Vegas, or if you want to go shop there, you might find good prices due to financial distress, but from a non-rusting climate.
One advantage of buying in Las Vegas and Florida is a constant supply of rental cars off lease in the area. There is a steady supply of late model used cars.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,700,424 times
I noticed in the Las Vegas paper a couple of years ago one year old Chevy HHRs were about $2000 less than in metro Detroit. Ex-rentals for sure, but the ones in MI likely were as well. I remember seeing cheap V6 Mustangs as well. I've also noticed better prices in the sunbelt for foreign cars, possibly because they're less common here, and a good percentage of the locals would rather push a GM than drive a Toyota.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:16 PM

6,536 posts, read 14,478,128 times
The most reasonable used cars in CA is in San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive