U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,686,621 times

Advertisements

Here's something tricky about America's Tire extended program: You buy "certificates" for each tire. If a tire needs replacing, coverage isn't carried over to the new tire. Another certificate has to be purchased. The cost of a certificate is about 15% of the cost of the tire. So you're actually paying 30% to replace. In some cases, the free prorated warranty may be less expensive for a replacement tire!

Here's a nice FYI: America's Tire will fix any repairable flat for free, whether you bought the tire from them or not. Just found out about that.

Last edited by Fatty MacButter; 06-16-2011 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,005,141 times
The manufacturer of my tires has a certain road hazard warranty, but the big thing for me, having a car with AWD, is that few of these warranties, cover replacing all four tires, which would be necessary, seeing as few of the "chain" shops will shave a new tire for you. Because of that, I'd just be throwing money out the window anyway, cheaper to chance it and hope I don't get anything that can't be plugged or hope I can find a place that'll shave the tire if an accident happen.

Either way, just one new tire is only $130 so it's not like it'll break the bank if it happened.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,132 posts, read 33,599,337 times
Depends on your driving conditions, and also depends on the brand you buy.

If I was working construction or oil fields and lived on a rocky mtn road and spent $800 on tires I MIGHT consider extended coverage.

If I bought BF Goodrich I would definately buy coverage. (I made A LOT of money in the tire business replacing and patching those ) Ymmv.

If I lived in the city, garaged my car, and seldom did LONG LONELY roadtrips (i.e. Nevada, CA, WY, ND ...) then, little risk to have need of the benefit.

As it is ... (I must confess ) I buy my tires for $5 each at a local junkyard. I only buy in sets, and many are like new (I inspect very well). I have my own Coats tire machine and balancer, so ... I don't get any extended coverage . I just 'retired' a set of junkyard Kumhos that came with Aluminum wheels. They lasted me over 7 yrs. I might run them again this summer during 'no-rain' trips, but they are getting pretty tired

My first flat in many yrs was last month on a rental car in the NE corner of Colorado (remote Pawnee Grasslands). It was one of those dorky 17" LOW PROFILER on spyder aluminum rims... that was not EZ to figure out where to get fixed, so I 'plugged it' with a $3.00 kit. It ran another 2700 miles w/o losing air, but I told the rental joint they might want to sell that car rather than buy new 17" tires. (It only cost me $4.95 per day rental rate, so I couldn't complain too much about the 1/4th life tires that came with) It got 38 mpg which was nice (Focus SeS)

Old 06-17-2011, 06:56 AM

11,564 posts, read 17,252,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

Either way, just one new tire is only $130 so it's not like it'll break the bank if it happened.
After taxes, fees, etc... it's usually more than $130, no?

If you can afford the replacement cost then it's not worth getting the warranty. If you can't then I think you should get it.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 AM

5,231 posts, read 10,707,594 times
I've bought it for a coupel new sets of tires then never used it, so I stopped. And since I often buy cheap used tires, the "road hazard warranty" is the sapre tire.

Oh, and by cheap used tires, I don't mean may-pops from the junkyard, but takeoffs from expensive newer cars, like the 19" Pirelli P Zero Rossos i bought for $50 each for my BMW with over half trad left on them, or the $25 Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs (that still had 80% tread left) that came off a newer 911 to replace those Pirellis after 3 years.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
After taxes, fees, etc... it's usually more than $130, no?

If you can afford the replacement cost then it's not worth getting the warranty. If you can't then I think you should get it.
Well when I replaced all 4 recently with high quality tires it came out to $150 a tire, with demounting the old, new valvestems, mounting, balancing and putting them back on the car, plus lifetime free rotation, which they actually made sure to tell me to come do.

The tires were Continental Extreme Contact, one of the highest rated tires on tirerack.com

So yes, it's technically $20 more, but that's not likely to break the bank, and if I couldn't afford to replace them I would've bought cheaper tires.

If I had a RWD or FWD car with very wide or big diameter tires though, it might make sense, as they're significantly more expensive, and you don't have to change out all four at one time, only two.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 PM

8,094 posts, read 14,013,986 times
I don't buy extended warranties on tires or anything else for that matter. And I used to work at a retailer that sold extended warranties, if that tells you anything.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 PM

2,497 posts, read 5,957,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
You know, such as America's Tire's "Protect Your Purchase" certificates? Lots of folks say it's a good idea, lots of folks say not.
I usually never buy into the extended warranty on anything. But on my Yokohama s drive summer tires I did buy the certificates (discount tire) because they are a high performance tire n they are 170. Each. The warranty is 25. Per tire. I hit a curb and ripped the sidewall and the tire was replaced free. So in my case itpaid off major. On cheap tires is say no. High performance tires are expensive and take a lot of abuse so totally I am supportive of warranty on them.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post

I usually never buy into the extended warranty on anything. But on my Yokohama s drive summer tires I did buy the certificates (discount tire) because they are a high performance tire n they are 170. Each. The warranty is 25. Per tire. I hit a curb and ripped the sidewall and the tire was replaced free. So in my case itpaid off major. On cheap tires is say no. High performance tires are expensive and take a lot of abuse so totally I am supportive of warranty on them.
Still though, depending on which tire you mess up, if they're worn (say 80% thread left), you shouldn't replace just the one tire anyway. You can get off doing it on the wheels that don't drive (aka rears of you have FWD or fronts if you have RWD), but having a difference in the total circumference on the driving wheel is a recipe for disaster.

This is particularly a bid deal on AWD cars, as you need to have a uniform thread depth on all wheels, which means that the warranty is worth very little if they don't accept replacing both or all wheels (depending on drive configuration) or at the very least, shave the tire down to the appropriate depth.

If they won't shave (which many chains won't), then I suppose you do save on the one tire, but if you want to do it properly/safely, you still need to pay for the second one/other three.

You also forget that you've paid $100 for that insurance, if you only bust one tire, you only save $70, for many then, chancing it might be the better move.

I get buying insurance on tires in the high cost range ($350 /piece and upwards) as the savings will be significant regardless, but anything under $200 and I don't really see a point.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 PM

44,662 posts, read 35,315,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't buy extended warranties on tires or anything else for that matter. And I used to work at a retailer that sold extended warranties, if that tells you anything.
Depending what you drive, where you drive etc. they can make sense.

Many companies selling this type of coverage have lost A LOT of money.

I tried to buy it on my Z06 and was refused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive