U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2011, 04:36 PM

35 posts, read 36,026 times
Default Van enthusiasts?

Anyone a van enthusiast like me?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,370,027 times
No, but I think some can look cool. I wouldn't mind having a Mystery Machine for awhile though.

For some van pics I posted in another thread,
Ideas wanted for 86 Dodge Van interiors

Old 07-02-2011, 11:02 AM

12,948 posts, read 5,696,290 times
i like vans, in fact at one time i wanted to build one, but have since decided that they are somewhat impractical for my needs. perhaps one day i might still decide to build one though.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 AM

844 posts, read 1,586,260 times
Minivans and full size vans are the most practical in terms of space usage and function. I have never cared about the cool factor. Like the sitting position and compared to most SUV's you also get better gas mileage.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:48 AM

9,661 posts, read 8,177,170 times
Today I saw a van with the Quigley 4WD conversion. That was one cool looking van

Old 07-03-2011, 11:21 AM

10,474 posts, read 16,582,630 times
Vans are often much cheaper to insure. They are also really comfortable for driving ergonomics (20 + hrs in the saddle). Which is a good thing for my older VW camper vans, because they only go fast DOWNHILL. I do lots of mtn touring, and it can be embarrassing to be passed by U-haul trucks going up the passes.

The current Chrysler minivan in the household has 198,900 on the clock. Gets 24 mpg @ 70mph w/ AC, doesn't use a bit of oil between changes (20k / Amsoil), and has been used from everything as a 2,500 mile hearse, to a wedding party hauler, and hauling refrigerators, building 4 houses, countless furniture moves...

Some of my favorite VW vans WetWesties - A Pacific Northwest Camping Society, Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van, Westy Ventures /* Home

Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 AM

1,599 posts, read 695,135 times
I didn't used to be but I love my Grand caravan now.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 PM

35 posts, read 36,026 times
What about the big conversion vans?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:15 PM

19,121 posts, read 10,089,282 times
Do you own one or is it thinking to buy one? If it is buy, buy one with out rear windows, so you could paint it better. My 86 Dodge Conversion Van came with big windows so most any theme paint is out.

Cops like to have a look see in vans too, that is something to consider.

Since the interior in mine is aging past use, creating dust form the foam, and I am certain that dust contains toxins, I will be doing the inside over soon.

Dodge tend to shed paint, and mine is starting, so I guess by next year by Fall it will hyave to be painted on the exterior as well. To me since I live in NH, this no rust vehical is a big deal and happens to be very low mileage. It will never be a work van, but could pull a trailer set up any way i want. I have the trailer now, which is a 6x6x 12 enclosed.

It's use is to carry a large motorcycle, which i did no sooner than i bought it. I was in Arkansas and winter hit. The bike has it's own trailer, and that and the bike went into the van's trailer for wintering.

My wife and I first met at a Buck Skinner's Ron de Voo , so for us doing up the inside in that mannor just makes sence. More or less most camp items can stay in the van this way, which means less packing.

With the big windows it is a grim task to figure out how to paint the outside.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 PM

7,906 posts, read 5,649,002 times
I love vans!

I've always wanted one of those Quigley 4x4's. The owner of the Lexus dealer I worked at owned one built on a Ford E250 and let me drive it a couple times.

Something like this with a nice diesel would be great:

Right now, over in Japan, there's a styling trend called "Dajiban" (literally, "Dodge Van") that revolves around Dodge vans that were sold to the Japanese public after they were decomissioned by the US military on the islands. It's even started a trade shipping used Dodge Vans to Japan from LA!

In addition to hefty engine mods (Japanese emissions laws are much more lax than ours and more conucive to tuning), many owners add locally-made rims by Watanabe. The "coolest" vans are the ones that still have their base/unit markings on them, and many people stencil replica markings onto vans that don't have them.

[img]http://emp-co.com/blog/wp-content/up...010/06/d-7.jpg[/img]

They even track them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive