U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:59 PM

484 posts, read 651,876 times

Advertisements

I need to remove my EZ Pass from my windshield and I was thinking of using a wallpaper scraper or paint scraper but I'm a bit worried in making a big scratch in the windshield. I've never had to take one out before, does it just come off if you pull it, cause it looks like it's on there really tight.

Anyone have a better way in taking out the EZ pass without making major scratches on the windshield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 18 days ago)

13,669 posts, read 17,522,791 times
Most EZ Passes are mounted using a plastic velcro. One side is tape and sticks to the windshield with velcro fasteners pointing out. The EZ Pass has two strips of fasteners on it that click into the ones on the windshield.

The EZ Pass should be able to pop off real easy with a little tug. After that you are left with the two sticky sided velcro strips. If it's a hot day, you can pick at a corner and they should come off pretty easy. If not, use a straight edge razor and slide it under one edge and you should be able to peal it off. After that is there is residue on the windshield, use some goo-b-gone to get the gunk off and then clean the windshield.

If your EZ Pass is straight up glued to the windshield then you are going to need to use some kind of solvent or heat the glue so you can get a straight razor under there and pop it off. Finish up with the goo-b-gone and you're good to go.

These are what the mounting strips are supposed to be:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqR,!joE1J2Lt!QyBNhCgKbSrg~~_35.JPG (broken link)

Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Most EZ Passes are mounted using a plastic velcro. One side is tape and sticks to the windshield with velcro fasteners pointing out. The EZ Pass has two strips of fasteners on it that click into the ones on the windshield.

The EZ Pass should be able to pop off real easy with a little tug. After that you are left with the two sticky sided velcro strips. If it's a hot day, you can pick at a corner and they should come off pretty easy. If not, use a straight edge razor and slide it under one edge and you should be able to peal it off. After that is there is residue on the windshield, use some goo-b-gone to get the gunk off and then clean the windshield.

If your EZ Pass is straight up glued to the windshield then you are going to need to use some kind of solvent or heat the glue so you can get a straight razor under there and pop it off. Finish up with the goo-b-gone and you're good to go.

These are what the mounting strips are supposed to be:

Thanks NJGOAT, ya it looks like it's glue.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:41 PM

7,785 posts, read 10,452,198 times
use a hair dryer to soften the glue and use a putty knife to remove it.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
use a hair dryer to soften the glue and use a putty knife to remove it.
Good idea on the hair dryer

Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 PM

4,214 posts, read 12,081,576 times
Carburetor cleaner sprayed on a rag and then the rag on the windshield also gets the adhesive off.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 PM

2,589 posts, read 3,944,612 times
Unless you're using sand paper or hydrofluoric acid you won't damage the glass.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM

19,127 posts, read 11,602,838 times
Glass is a good bit harder than steel. Clean the area well so no grit like sand can be there and scrap away. What commonly scratchs glass on wiper blades is sand caught on the wipers.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:18 PM

5,136 posts, read 6,349,296 times
Pull it. Every one I have seen uses locking tape which is adhered to the windshield and the I-Pass/EZ Pass. I'm sure people have gotten inventive after switching cars, even though you can get replacement tape pretty easily.

Who put it on in the first place? I can't imagine that it's glued; I don't know how you would dump enough glue behind it to adhere it to the windshield in the first place, at least without leaving behind a mess.

If you want to remove the tape also, just peel it off by hand or use a credit card to dig under it so that you can pull it off. You can remove the adhesive with rubbing alcohol or the orange smelling gum remover, but keep it away from other surfaces.

I'm eager to hear if it's actually glued to the windshield... that would be a new one for me.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:38 PM

7,870 posts, read 4,991,761 times
One little tip once you get it off: When I got my new Prius I found that I could leave my EZ Pass in the glove compartment and it still reads it. No need to stick it on the windshield at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive