U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 AM

42,453 posts, read 19,287,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I have a similar story. In 1968 I was putting a 327 into a '65 Chevelle. A certain "FAMOUS" northern New Jersey head man (whose last name sounds like mile but starts with an f) worked the stock heads and I replaced them. The first time I started the motor it ran for about a minute at idle. After about a minute I blipped the throttle and "KABOOM". I think he forgot to put 1 keeper on one of the valves. I guess when I hit the throttle the increased r.p.m. kicked the single keeper out and the motor swallowed the valve, that was a mess. I took the engine apart and found the 1 keeper but never found the other. I went back to him and he said the reason why the motor ate the valve was because I revved it too high. I told him the engine never went over 2000 r.p.m., needless to say I never got any satisfaction from him.
OUCH.. I know the feeling. Seems like there should be a checklist when mechanics work on something important, like engines, to make sure they don't overlook something important, like valve keepers, torque the the head bolts and rod bearings correctly, put oil in the engine, etc..

The 327 they put in to replace the good one I had in my 1966 ran okay for a week, before it started leaking oil out of the rear bearing seal and not long after they put it in, it started diesling after I shut it off. I took it back to them to find out if there was a warranty and they said no. I didn't want to hassle with them anymore, that's why I decided to trade it in, and I never went back to that shop again.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 08-11-2007 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 02:04 AM

2,796 posts, read 6,635,387 times
The fastest car I have ever been in or driven was my father in law's 1987 Buick Grand National
I BARELY touched the accelerator and the car just sat there with the tires spinning . But once I got used to it WOW!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:47 AM

35,926 posts, read 55,158,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I'd love to take the Z06 to the track and really test it. You can read all you want about how fast they are, I'd love to try it out, though. If only those huge ass rear tires weren't so damn expensive!!!!
Careful on the track if you ever get it to one. Car mags have noted that the 2006 ZO6 is twitchy as hell; C&D said something along the lines of "if it weren't for the stability control system, we probably would have stuffed it on multiple occasions." Apparently the handling demons were tuned out of the 2007 release.

Personal fastest: 135 in a Taurus SHO. I will never, ever do that again. If I had hit a pebble, that POS would probably have been sideways and I'd have eaten the steering wheel. Have also done 125 in a Chrysler Conquest and a Porsche 924S (mechanically identical to a 944 but aerodynamically cleaner). Both were quite stable at that speed.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:38 AM

904 posts, read 1,281,966 times
I went four laps at Dover with Ward Burton years ago. He estimated it at around 145/150. The g' in the corners were more of a thrill than the top speed. 120+ (it ran out of speedometer) in a 67 Chevelle SS that was my little brother's. Personally, with me behind the wheel, 105 in my little Honda Civic.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:30 PM

14,874 posts, read 22,626,437 times
I don't know. I didn't look

Gosh, in my 81 Camaro way back when I know I got her over 100 a couple of times.

In the BMW 325 I've done close to 100. Hubby says he got it to 125 one night and said it was SMOOTH! It flys too. Let me put it this way: From the corner at the red light I can turn and floor it and before I get to the first building not even a 1/2 mile away I've already hit 80 then I pull it back as passed that cars can pull out in front of me - BUMMER

Porsche Cayenne Turbo - it is fast and have yet to get it to top speed but that thing is a rocket. A 435 went past the other night while we were in it and DH said we could keep up to a point if he pushed it. There is no way in hell I'm going to ever be in it if it got to the top speed on the speedopmeter

I've not been in it when he did but hubby got his 69 RS/SS Camaro to a lil over 100 now that he has her running good.

A whole list of others that were not mine and I don't remember model years or such. Couple of Porsche's, Ferrari's, BMW's, etc.

Funny mentioning the Conquest. Hubby had one of those when we dated and got married. I thought it was a POS. He wishes he had it back, lol. Not me though. There are other cars out there I'd much rather have. The new 911 being one of them

Old 08-15-2007, 02:33 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,158,806 times
The Conquest was a great car at its price point; particularly the '88 and '89 models with 190HP. It's still a great car for the money if you can find one in good shape; unfortunately, many of them have become donor cars to keep the remaining ones running. Not many people are cross-shopping a Conquest and a new 911...

Oh, and what's a 435?

Old 08-15-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Conquest was a great car at its price point; particularly the '88 and '89 models with 190HP. It's still a great car for the money if you can find one in good shape; unfortunately, many of them have become donor cars to keep the remaining ones running. Not many people are cross-shopping a Conquest and a new 911...

Oh, and what's a 435?
LMAO!!! We actually saw two while on vacation recently ON THE ROAD RUNNING and in pretty good shape.

A 430 is a Ferrari - oops, the one we saw was a 430. It was SCHWEET!. This one still had the paper tag on it. At least he did not wreck it like the moron in Florida did the Lambo recently.
Ferrari North America

Old 08-15-2007, 04:52 PM

18,950 posts, read 49,532,294 times
F430s rock. Here is one I spotted a few weekends back. Love the plate!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM

Yes, they are very nice. The one we saw last night was that dark pewter color. While I prefer the classic Ferrari Red I have to admit it was pretty hot looking. Hubby is also in the market for a Ferrari we SO need a bigger garage.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:20 PM

419 posts, read 1,408,720 times
Jeez, hmm, the fastest car I've ever driven? As far as top speed, probably a highschool friend's SVT Cobra. Got it up to 130ish around noon in CT about 4 years ago. Since then though, I've driven some cars that were probably quicker, if not faster. I've driven a Lotus Elise, and a S-2000, which felt pretty much the same; extremely quick, like a rocket, but never had the chance to get them up past 90. I used to have an 03 Maxima that was pretty fast, but not really up around the Ferraris or Ford GTs on this thread. Speaking of, where do you guys drive these cars??? Is there a place where I can like...test drive a Ferarri? If so, I want to know how, when, and where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive