Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 02:04 PM

15,121 posts, read 27,611,191 times

Advertisements

UGH - I try to park way out in parking lots (figure it helps me get some exercise) - so far: someone hit my back bumper (white paint was left and there was a piece of junk car parked next to me but obviously I couldn't prove anything). I come out and find door dings, etc. - now today someone hit my passenger side mirror - guessing they did a "pull through" because the mirror got pushed in, not broken off - but there are scrapes and gouges in the mirror "holder/shell" - not sure what it's called. I don't have a great car ('10 Corolla) but I take care of it, I don't hit other vehicles, etc. - how rude of people to do this and not even bother leaving a note or anything (LMAO - like THAT will ever happen) - just a fact of life in the world we are in now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 02:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,226 posts, read 80,405,058 times
Yes. When I bought my new F150 in September I soon after bought the Ford touch-up paint, and have used it several times in less than a year. Being small, your Corolla is probably less subject to dings than my truck, which fills the parking spaces more fully. I too park farther out because the close-in spaces are always smaller, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:57 PM

949 posts, read 566,467 times
Bad luck seems to be in your area. I always try and park far away from others.
It usually pays off in the long run since I always bet on lazy humans to help me with this one.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:22 PM

17,188 posts, read 12,030,527 times
My first brand new car I was always parking in the back corner. Then one day some drunk driver got in a wreck in the nearby intersection. Tried to flee the scene. Ended up going over the sidewalk through some hedges and right into the side of my car.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:02 PM

So... it appears that people in other cars just don't care if they hit the car next to them w/their door, etc. - sad. Guess I need to get touch-up paint. (and start walking, LOL)

Old 08-24-2018, 04:35 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,750,922 times
I totally feel your pain!! I actually started a thread on here regarding the same topic.

But instead of people hitting my car, it was people parking next to me when parking extremely far away in a giant parking lot.

It’s like why? I’m the one of a very few cars that are alone by ourselves for the main reason on preventing door dings, scratches, dents and serious damage. But I still had that ONE person that decided for whatever stupid reason to park right next to my car.

I really don’t understand what goes on in certain people’s minds when they do this.

If I I have to park next to someone in a crowded parking lot, I try to park next to newer, clean looking vehicles just because at least there’s a better chance those people with the nice rides will be extra careful not to just fling the doors wide open and or hit your car when they arrive and leave.

That’s been my method on my newish ride so far, and I dont have any dings as of now.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:13 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,139,018 times
This subject is near and dear to my heart. Few things irritate me more! So a few rules for me. Don't park next to junkers. Don't park next to 2dr cars....their doors are longer and can reach out and get you. Never park on the down side of a hill if it can be helped as people get out of their cars and the doors swing open and tag your car. Never knowingly park next to a car that has children in it. They will throw open the door and jump out without thinking about yours!

Old 08-24-2018, 06:48 PM

sdlife... I thought I recalled an old thread but couldn't find it. I actually went out one time and the car next to me (a senior man) had the door against my car... I pointed that out - he just shrugged.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:10 AM

414 posts, read 357,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
This subject is near and dear to my heart. Few things irritate me more! So a few rules for me. Don't park next to junkers. Don't park next to 2dr cars....their doors are longer and can reach out and get you. Never park on the down side of a hill if it can be helped as people get out of their cars and the doors swing open and tag your car. Never knowingly park next to a car that has children in it. They will throw open the door and jump out without thinking about yours!
Also I look out for car seats in the back seat of a car I’m parking next to if the spot is a bit tight. And agreed about 2dr cars - I know too well from owning one. If I’m going somewhere with chaotic parking I usually prefer to take my crappier car if possible.

Someone backed into my car with their tow hitch and left a perfect square in my bumper - of course no note left although I’m sure they heard a crunching noise when they did it. Best estimate I got was $300 to fix it, but the car is getting old so I haven’t bothered. I find 70’s cars beyond hideous, but getting hit at a low speed with a tow hitch would not result in several hundred dollars worth of damage with the old school steel bumpers. IMO, modern flimsy bumper covers are a ripoff and massive profit center for auto manufacturers - I’ve had to replace the bumper cover twice on one of my cars - $1k job each time although someone else’s insurance was paying.

I had an ‘03 Xterra with steel bumpers - when I had that car I wasn’t so careful about avoiding tapping my neighbor’s POS vehicle when exiting my driveway as they would somewhat block me... They were parked illegally so it’s not like they had much of a defense.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:16 AM

68,287 posts, read 54,100,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I totally feel your pain!! I actually started a thread on here regarding the same topic.

But instead of people hitting my car, it was people parking next to me when parking extremely far away in a giant parking lot.

It’s like why? I’m the one of a very few cars that are alone by ourselves for the main reason on preventing door dings, scratches, dents and serious damage. But I still had that ONE person that decided for whatever stupid reason to park right next to my car.

I really don’t understand what goes on in certain people’s minds when they do this.

If I I have to park next to someone in a crowded parking lot, I try to park next to newer, clean looking vehicles just because at least there’s a better chance those people with the nice rides will be extra careful not to just fling the doors wide open and or hit your car when they arrive and leave.

That’s been my method on my newish ride so far, and I dont have any dings as of now.

With many people the correct answer is: nothing!

Last edited by burdell; 08-25-2018 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive