U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,782,369 times
I got one of these tickets when I was a dumb 17 year old kid. $124 for "Noise Amplification at 50+ feet". I guess the officer wanted to teach me a lesson or something. I had no record, no other tickets and rather than a warning he decided to be a dick. I can understand giving me a ticket if I was a repeat offender but I was just a silly kid and not hurting anyone. $124 at the time was A LOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 PM

11,738 posts, read 10,598,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
It's not two different punishments. It's two different ways of paying for the same punishment.

If the fine is $200 and you have the money, you write a check or hand over the cash.

If you're doing community service, you work for $200 worth of wages that pay the fine.
Right, but the judge never asked if anyone preferred one over the other... each time a person went up, he asked if they were employed and then made either community service or a fine based on that person's answer... that's different punishment considering you don't have a choice in paying or not... I rather do community service then enrich the police department for these petty tickets...

Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 PM

11,738 posts, read 10,598,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
He acknowledged it with numerous excuses, did NOT plead guilty (he "loss", remember? And later said he didn't plead guilty), so that criticism is not misplaced.

He broke the law and was...whatever...enough to get caught by a LEO while the radio was turned up too far. To me that suggests he is excessively visible to LEOs. Been there, done that, grew up.

Are the people who received community service complaining? Do they feel discriminated against? Why is it assumed that money is more important to everyone than time? I would rather spend the couple hundred bucks than have to do community service, and tie up that time plus travel to and from, etc.
Excuse me, I never made ANY excuse.. I never admitted to breaking the law and STILL believe I didn't break the law... you weren't there but feel free to be an armchair judge, you are pretty good at sucking at it... From what I understand by the community, EVERYONE dislikes the police department because they use tickets as a revenue source and everyone KNOWS they give tickets for the stupidest things, one light bulb for tag lights, etc... You would rather doesn't make you the king to decide how everyone else should be... instead of a fine, perhaps I rather do community service...

Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 PM

8,417 posts, read 7,420,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Excuse me, I never made ANY excuse.. I never admitted to breaking the law and STILL believe I didn't break the law... you weren't there but feel free to be an armchair judge, you are pretty good at sucking at it... From what I understand by the community, EVERYONE dislikes the police department because they use tickets as a revenue source and everyone KNOWS they give tickets for the stupidest things, one light bulb for tag lights, etc... You would rather doesn't make you the king to decide how everyone else should be... instead of a fine, perhaps I rather do community service...
So what was your defense when the judge asked you why you didn't feel you were guilty?

Your excuses:

1. "apparently there is a cop that gives out a dozen of these tickets... along with a dozen tickets for window tint" so because many tickets are given out, you're not guilty? If no tickets except yours were given out, would that make you more or less guilty. I don't see the correlation.

2. "I went to court and loss for driving with loud music... no surprise there". So you pled not guilty, but weren't surprised when you were found guilty. Sounds like a weak or no defense, but more likely guilt.

You broke the law, you got caught, pretend you're an adult and move on.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:58 PM

8,958 posts, read 7,133,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I think you should turn down your radio.
The young and the foolish play music so amplified it damages their hearing which they don't miss until it's to late in their older years.

Few people understand just how loud 1 watt of power really can be let alone more watts!

Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 PM

8,417 posts, read 7,420,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The young and the foolish play music so amplified it damages their hearing which they don't miss until it's to late in their older years.

Few people understand just how loud 1 watt of power really can be let alone more watts!
Don't confuse watts with volume. As you say it doesn't take a lot of power to achieve ridiculous volume, assuming certain other factors. But having a lot of power doesn't necessarily mean the owner wants to crank the music to obscene levels. It does require a certain amount of power (and not all watts are equal) to achieve clean, dynamic listening volume.

The OP obviously went too far, and got caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive