Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Do us all a favor and just don't go that fast. I wonder what the % of people or cars can actually drive that fast and do it safely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
i recommend 3 things---getting an organ donor card,finding a good criminal lawyer for the murder charge you will get when you killan innocent driver,and staying out of pa as the potholed roads in this state will send you flying off at your preferred speed

Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
I got a warning for 110.

It was on a bike though.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
I can see 80 MPH, but if you want to go 120, take the car to a track....

Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,041 times
Thumbs up Thanks for answers !

Hi all ! Thanks for the answers. Some were very objective, some carried intrinsic cultural aspects, which I respect !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Thanks for the warning. You do realize the roads in the Northeast are very crowded and driving 120 MPH on any Interstate you will be like a pinball bouncing off cars.
We already have plenty of moron drivers so you will not be alone.

Anybody driving 120 on a regular basis while pursuing a graduate degree might have that diploma traveling back home with them in the same box.
Hi PDD. No, I would not be bouncing all over or cutting lanes in a crowded road. I was thinking on a road in which the conditions would allow me to do that safely, only overtaking in the left lane. I once drove from the Boston-Logan Airport to the border of NH & VT and some streches of the road in NH were pretty good and almost empty. I believe that I reached ~110MPH with the ****ty rental for some brief periods, but I slowed since I did not want to "encounter" the NH troopers. 120 is not a big deal in a decent car & road. In the German autobahn you can easily reach the electronic limiter of 155MPH. And thanks for calling me a moron !

I once read a statement: speed does not kill, but lack of judgement does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
You would be cited with Driving to Endanger/Reckless Operation which would carry a minimum license suspension of 30 days to a max of about 180 days, a hefty fine, and would result in a criminal record.

You also run the risk of getting big time points on your license. Once you hit a threshold, (and you'd be close to if if you get a reckless op), you can lose your license through an administrative license suspension.

If your need for excessive speed were to cause bodily injury, it would be bumped to a felony Driving to Endanger which could mean prison time.

Actual charges, fines, etc. vary between the New England states. Note that driving to endanger laws are somewhat broad and therefore the officer will have a say into the actual degree of the offense (e.g. reckless v. negligent, which matters in some states).

Point is: don't make it a mission to enjoy the "open" roads in New England at excessive speads. The only thing you'll be doing to adding to the bottom line of a lawyer you'll have to hire to try to avoid the stiffer end of the punishment spectrum.
Redsox1972, thanks for the objective answer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Not sure what the penalty is in the north west but here in IL. 30 over is considered reckless driving and you can lose your car, license and do time in jail. A good friend of mine was caught doing 80 in a 45 (construction site at 3am) and lost his license, car and paid huge fines.

On the other hand I was pulled over in Nevada two summers ago. Cop said He clocked me at 125 but let me go with a verbal warning to keep it under 100. It was 7pm and I hadn't seen another car in 30 mins even at 125+ mph
Cool cop !

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do us all a favor and just don't go that fast. I wonder what the % of people or cars can actually drive that fast and do it safely?
Hi manderly6. I believe it is a cultural thing and how you are used to it. I also believe that it does not make any sense to buy a Porsche, BMW or any other high speed-designed car, with over 300 horsepower, and drive it at 65MPH. Waste of money and high pollution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
i recommend 3 things---getting an organ donor card,finding a good criminal lawyer for the murder charge you will get when you killan innocent driver,and staying out of pa as the potholed roads in this state will send you flying off at your preferred speed
auntieannie68, never heard about a organ card, thanks for the tip ! You see, that's what I do not get. Driving while talking on the phone or eating draws your attention in a way you could cause a very serious accident, but it seems to be OK. Yes, I agree, a potholed road is not the place to drive fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I got a warning for 110.

It was on a bike though.
I once went through a police officer at about ~170MPH with a GSX-R 1000. 2 miles later, his mate pulled me over, but did not give me a fine since they did not have a radar. He only advised me to take care and gave me tips to avoid high speeds on some bumpy road stretches .

Old 08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Capo View Post
Hi all ! Thanks for the answers. Some were very objective, some carried intrinsic cultural aspects, which I respect !

Hi PDD. No, I would not be bouncing all over or cutting lanes in a crowded road. I was thinking on a road in which the conditions would allow me to do that safely, only overtaking in the left lane. I once drove from the Boston-Logan Airport to the border of NH & VT and some streches of the road in NH were pretty good and almost empty. I believe that I reached ~110MPH with the ****ty rental for some brief periods, but I slowed since I did not want to "encounter" the NH troopers. 120 is not a big deal in a decent car & road. In the German autobahn you can easily reach the electronic limiter of 155MPH. And thanks for calling me a moron !

Redsox1972, thanks for the objective answer !

Cool cop !

Hi manderly6. I believe it is a cultural thing and how you are used to it. I also believe that it does not make any sense to buy a Porsche, BMW or any other high speed-designed car, with over 300 horsepower, and drive it at 65MPH. Waste of money and high pollution.

auntieannie68, never heard about a organ card, thanks for the tip ! You see, that's what I do not get. Driving while talking on the phone or eating draws your attention in a way you could cause a very serious accident, but it seems to be OK. Yes, I agree, a potholed road is not the place to drive fast.

I once went through a police officer at about ~170MPH with a GSX-R 1000. 2 miles later, his mate pulled me over, but did not give me a fine since they did not have a radar. He only advised me to take care and gave me tips to avoid high speeds on some bumpy road stretches .
OOps sorry I forgot how safe the Autobahn is.

‪Crash - Mercedes-Benz High Speed Crash at the Autobahn‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Capo View Post
No judgment is required at 1 MPH. As the speed increased, the amount of judgment does too, and at some point, the amount of judgment necessary exceeds your own capacity.

There are deer on those roads, whose behavior is not predictable. Autobahns have high fences to keep deer off. Do you know what happens when a deer comes through your windshield at 120 MPH?

There are also drivers who are almost as stupid as deer. If a driver going 70 shift lanes in front of you (because he doesn't expect you---I wonder why), it will be the same as hitting a parked car when you're going 50. Judgment is no help.

120 mph is safe ONLY on roads engineered and designed to handle 120 mph traffic, shared by other cars that anticipate and are alert to 120 mph traffic. To put it simply, you will be the fatal victim of the lack of judgment of another driver, or a deer.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Though I couldn't say about the North East, there are plenty of places you can safely go 120 Mph or more, when I was going through Kansas there were stretches of road with 3-5 mile visibility in any direction, you could've easily done 120 or more on those roads, and done so safely.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:28 PM

348 posts, read 850,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No judgment is required at 1 MPH. As the speed increased, the amount of judgment does too, and at some point, the amount of judgment necessary exceeds your own capacity.

There are deer on those roads, whose behavior is not predictable. Autobahns have high fences to keep deer off. Do you know what happens when a deer comes through your windshield at 120 MPH?

There are also drivers who are almost as stupid as deer. If a driver going 70 shift lanes in front of you (because he doesn't expect you---I wonder why), it will be the same as hitting a parked car when you're going 50. Judgment is no help.

120 mph is safe ONLY on roads engineered and designed to handle 120 mph traffic, shared by other cars that anticipate and are alert to 120 mph traffic. To put it simply, you will be the fatal victim of the lack of judgment of another driver, or a deer.

All great points. And to add, somone ELSE might the the fatal victim of the OP's lack of judgment.

Also, OP, New England (northern NE mostly -- VT, NH, ME) has MOOSE. You don't want to hit one doing 30. I could not imagine your chances of survival hitting one going at 100+.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
America does not have the highways or drivers prepared for 120 mph traffic. People are not trained for such here and don't have the same driving skills and lane discipline.

To do so is asking for it in more ways than one.

Some of the interstates in the northeast can have light traffic at times, but there is plenty of enforcement so running at 120 it wont take long to encounter local law enforcement and running that speed will get you banned or jailed and majorly fined.

If you want to drive fast, sign up for track days at New Hampshire speedway, Lime Rock or Watkins Glen. Take to the track and keep it off the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive