U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 PM

2,993 posts, read 1,397,111 times
I can appreciate the technical skill that goes into modifying a car like that and the talent that goes into the paint and body work...but I would NEVER own one. That said, they still look better than older full size cars with those stupid tiny 12" wheels and low profile tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM

8,417 posts, read 7,415,119 times
Some are well done, but just like most ricer crap, and many hot rods, most donks are just huge wheels on cars with as few modifications as possible to get the wheels underneath. I've seen several where the front fenders have been crushed by the wheels rubbing against them, with paint slopped on over the damage.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:51 AM

9,312 posts, read 7,543,220 times
These kinds of cars are all over the place in Atlanta and surrounding areas. To be honest, a lot of them look pretty sharp, but a lot of them look cheap too.

I especially dislike it when they keep the stock brakes because not only do they look even more undersized than they already were in the first place, but larger brakes are necessary with larger rims because there's more mass and more rotational inertia to stop.

I also dislike it when a car with a powerful sound system has poor vibration damping. If you're going to make your car thump, then make it thump, not rattle. I don't want to hear vibrating sheet metal, plastic or fiberglass.

And instead of doing a partial job on your car, why not just save up enough money to get the entire modification done at once? This goes for all you ricer idiots too, with your two large aftermarket rims in the back and your two small stock rims up front.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 PM

10,424 posts, read 7,598,158 times
Rattling is what they go for. They loosen the trunk bolts. I hate it as well, my car never rattled with a Kicker 15" in the trunk.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 PM

4,212 posts, read 10,873,445 times
When I was younger I had a full size Olds Delta 88 that had two 12's in the trunk and it rattled, but I never unbolted or loosened anything up to make it rattle. In fact none of my cars I purposely undid the bolts to make it rattle when the subs were turned up. Fact is there's several things on a car to rattle. Under the trunk lid there's the bracing and above that is the metal skin. The force of the air from the subs probably moves the skin up just enough to let it back down and causes the rattle you hear. The solution is to have your car's trunk and maybe the interior, done up in dynomat.

Also my current car does not rattle with a single 12, yet it's not dynomatted either. It's really all about how much air you're moving around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive