Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 27,701 times

Advertisements

I just bought a 2015 Impreza. I see that it calls for 0W20 Synthetic only. I don't know if i like the idea of using 0W20 in the hotter weather. I live in the North East and i can understand using it in the Winter Months. I can understand the better " flow " with the 0W vs say 5W or 10W. I'm wondering about the possibility of potential " Shearing " occurring when using 0W20 in the hotter summer Months? Why not at least use 5W30 in the Warmer Months? If i use 5W30 will that void my Warranty? Please advise. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 07:06 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,140,265 times
It's usually pretty easy to figure this out. Look on the oil cap and unless you have an actual reason to do otherwise, use that oil!

My dad just bought a 2015 Accord, on the cap it calls for 0W-20. The engine is made for that, materials and manufacturing support that, cars aren't the same ill manufactured beasts that need heavier oil to not weld themselves together.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:20 PM

802 posts, read 1,353,678 times
use whatever your car manufacturer recommends.
i use 0W20 in both of my hondas.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:45 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,200,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Alright motorheads, what's the difference between these two blends of synthetic oil? My car recommends 5W20 Dino, but I go with synthetic (don't want to open that arguement) when I took it in to get an oil change, the dealer had a special on 0W20 synthetic.... But I was kind of concerned about using anything other than 5W20 which is what is recommended. Thoughts?
You will be fine with either. The 0-20 is marginally more effective if you live in "cold soak" conditions....read, car parked outside in consistently below zero conditions asin -10 and below......

Soooooooooo, living in Indiana, while cold Jan-March, is moot. There's really probably only two months where it's "nice" but only if you park outside.....however, seeing how it's cheaper then yeah, go ahead. Once warm it raises to a 20w which is still pretty thin but, with today's closer tolerances and demands for better MPG, it works. Just remember, synthetic is good for 6-8k miles depending which means you are probably good well into spring. Go ahead, save the money.

You can flip,to 5-20 atbne next change. Your car will be fine.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:59 PM

24,508 posts, read 17,967,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser247 View Post
I just bought a 2015 Impreza. I see that it calls for 0W20 Synthetic only. I don't know if i like the idea of using 0W20 in the hotter weather. I live in the North East and i can understand using it in the Winter Months. I can understand the better " flow " with the 0W vs say 5W or 10W. I'm wondering about the possibility of potential " Shearing " occurring when using 0W20 in the hotter summer Months? Why not at least use 5W30 in the Warmer Months? If i use 5W30 will that void my Warranty? Please advise. Thank you.
If you'd bothered to read through this ancient thread before bumping, the question is already answered.

At normal engine operating temperature, there is no difference between 0W20 and 5W20. They're both 20 weight oil. 0W20 is thinner than 5W20 at cold engine temperatures the first few minutes after you start your car. New cars spec it because it gives the car a bit better fuel economy. In these days of CAFE regulations, they play every possible trick to boost fuel economy.

Use the motor oil and oil change interval recommended by the manufacturer. The last thing you want is to have an engine failure and have the manufacturer refuse to honor the warranty because you used the wrong oil.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,769,054 times
You didn't bother to state what engine you have, I'm assuming the 2.0 Turbo. While on Wards Ten Best List, the engine has proven to be a little delicate and EXPENSIVE to fix. There's more to the oil spec than just viscosity here. The 0w oils will have a much higher Viscosity Index and you are correct, it's for shearing of the oil due to the extreme demands of a turbo DI engine. The base oils are a lot more stable than a 5w even staying with any synthetic based oils. Personally, if it were my car, it would only see Redline 5w-30 or Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30. The 10w oils are FAR more stable and have FAR less NOACK. Unless you have startup temps of less than minus 25F (-25F), the 10w-30 Platinum will easily take care of the cold startup. Since the Platinum is an EC oil, you won't see any gas mileage shrinkage and it's within the specs of the Suburu White Papers. I wouldn't push any oil in that engine over a 7500 miles oil change schedule. and if you can stand the cash, change every 5000 miles.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 13,080 times
I have a 2015 4 cylinder Subaru Outback which uses 0-20 but have noticed it uses up to a qt of additional oil between 6,000 mile oil changes. Is this normal? Prior to this vehicle I don't remember routinely adding oil between oil changes in 30-40 yrs unless, of course, the engine has a lot of miles. My vehicle has been using oil since I bought it in 2015. Thanks for your comments. Bob

Old 04-11-2017, 11:32 AM

421 posts, read 537,118 times
I'd say it's "normal" in the sense that the manufacturer won't care, and the engine will likely last a long time anyhow. Low tension rings. At just a quart per 6k I'd ignore it--well, add oil when it's say a half quart low, but otherwise leave it be.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 12,972 times
Many mechanics here in Florida don't recommend using a 5-20 because of ambient temps. Amsoil 0-30 is said to be best for engine wear.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:06 PM

421 posts, read 537,118 times
While coolant temp isn't oil temp, an engine that isn't being pushed hard doesn't have high oil temps. The cooling system strives to say around 200F (give or take) regardless of ambient. WE think it's hot but the engine tends not to. Not unless if it's being pressed hard or cooling is restricted.

I think it's HTHS that gets into the oil's ability to withstand shear and temperature? I'd go by that. 0W20 vs 5W20, I'd think would be too close to worry about. I'd sooner go to 10W30 for the high HTHS, that oil selection would withstand high engine times under load. In FL I don't think anything lower than 10W is going to be needed anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive