Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: It is better to buy NEW cars or USED cars?
NEW is my preference 20 25.00%
USED is my preference 31 38.75%
EITHER one, depends on variable factors / situation 28 35.00%
I don't drive 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If you're worried about the "value" lost over the first year, then you probably can't afford the vehicle in the first place. Otherwise, you count it as the cost of using the car, and keep it long enough to get equity out of it.

And as was mentioned, these days you might get that equity back way sooner than used to be the case. So you get a new car that no one else has had the chance to abuse, AND by the time you're tired of it, you're not upside down in it.

Buy a car because you like it and can afford it, not because it's a wise financial investment in anything other than your lifestyle (much like a vacation isn't a financial investment, or going out to a nice dinner, or a show).

OR you are good at managing your money.

A Vacation, Meal, Car, or 401K contribution IS an investment.

Unless, like the Federal Government you have your own printing press and an unlimited amount of $.

ANYTHING you spend money on removes options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:42 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

Unless, like the Federal Government you have your own printing press and an unlimited amount of $.

ANYTHING you spend money on removes options.
Yeah. I've been sitting on a nice 2005 Big Mac. I'm hoping in a few years to get a pretty nice return on it.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Yeah. I've been sitting on a nice 2005 Big Mac. I'm hoping in a few years to get a pretty nice return on it.
TVM and Opportunity Costs.

Google it.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
If you're worried about the "value" lost over the first year, then you probably can't afford the vehicle in the first place. Otherwise, you count it as the cost of using the car, and keep it long enough to get equity out of it.

And as was mentioned, these days you might get that equity back way sooner than used to be the case. So you get a new car that no one else has had the chance to abuse, AND by the time you're tired of it, you're not upside down in it.

Buy a car because you like it and can afford it, not because it's a wise financial investment in anything other than your lifestyle (much like a vacation isn't a financial investment, or going out to a nice dinner, or a show).
Someone on this forum once posted that a car is not an investment, it's an appliance. Once I read that it completely shifted my perspective.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
TVM and Opportunity Costs.

Google it.
I don't need to google anything. You keep thinking of your meals and vacations as investments. I'll be just fine thinking of them as meals and vacations.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Based on my own experience I would disagree with this statement. There's always a risk that the used car has been abused to the point that parts will start failing shortly after purchase.

Having a mechanic check over the vehicle may slightly reduce that risk, but comes nowhere close to eliminating it.

PS I've never bought a new car, but I'm considering it since there are some great deals out there due to the time of year and inflation of the used car market. There's a Mazda dealer here that lists a few used cars that are more expensive than the equivalent brand new cars after Mazda incentives
even buying a new car does not guarantee that you will have no problems, it also just reduces the risk. this is why the automakers have a warranty on new cars. a good mechanic can, and usually will, find issues that the average mechanic wont find.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:

No, only the 401K is an investment, opportunity cost or not.

And if you EVER catch me thinking of a car I'm looking at buying as a basic appliance to get from point A to point B and to spend the absolute least on I possibly can, just shoot me.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:52 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
And if you EVER catch me thinking of a car I'm looking at buying as a basic appliance to get from point A to point B and to spend the absolute least on I possibly can, just shoot me.
That's not quite how I interpreted it. After all, a blender enthusiast isn't going to buy a $15 blender just to make smoothies. The way I see it cars depreciate way too fast to really be considered an investment (with a couple exceptions). There's almost no chance that your asset will appreciate or even depreciate favorably. That's the way I saw it. It certainly doesn't mean you need skimp on the car.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't need to google anything. You keep thinking of your meals and vacations as investments. I'll be just fine thinking of them as meals and vacations.
Less "investments" more "as a way you choose to invest your money"

Loosing the opportunity to do something else with it.

I'm sorry you have trouble grasping this very basic concept.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Less "investments" more "as a way you choose to invest your money"

Loosing the opportunity to do something else with it.

I'm sorry you have trouble grasping this very basic concept.
And I'm sorry you have gotten to the point of thinking about eating food vs making an actual investment. Sounds like a horrible existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive