U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: It is better to buy NEW cars or USED cars?
NEW is my preference 20 25.00%
USED is my preference 31 38.75%
EITHER one, depends on variable factors / situation 28 35.00%
I don't drive 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2011, 12:51 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,585,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
So..........erm.........25k for a used van.........what kind of used van??? MSRP is just a scam to make things look cheap when they start throwing in all of those "special deal" and "special circumstances.

Honda Odyssey. So yes, it is possible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,080,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And I'm sorry you have gotten to the point of thinking about eating food vs making an actual investment. Sounds like a horrible existence.

Nice ATTEMPT to try to make it sound like I think about the cost of a cup of rice vs investing.

TO THE CONTRARY:

I feel sorry for you, for not BEING AWARE of your choices in giving up your capital/buying power.

I don't really criticise people for their spending choices SO LONG AS THEY ARE AWARE of the opportunities they give up by their fiscal choices.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 AM

4,058 posts, read 4,032,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I just cant justify the dealer markups on a brand new car vs a certified preowned car with under 30k miles and the same exact warranty for about 10-15k less than what it cost out the door.
New vehicles is a rich man/woman's game in my opinion.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM

1,471 posts, read 2,301,816 times
I voted for new. While the cost/benefit may (usually, but the current market has some oddly high prices for a few late model units I checked) favor a used unit, I like to trade mine in every 3 years or so.

I just like newer vehicles every few years. Cost effective, no, but I look at the expense as part of my fun money expenditures. To each their own.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Status: "SSRIs = school shootings = MKULTRA = Pol Pot America" (set 9 days ago)

8,327 posts, read 5,682,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Honda Odyssey. So yes, it is possible.

That thing is not even a real van is it, looks more like a car. I could have gotten a nice, used Astro for a lot better price.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
New vehicles is a rich man/woman's game in my opinion.
I agree so much, they just want too much for a new vehicle.

I bought a new ford ranger about 11 years ago, bare bones, great little truck......8K. In todays day and age I cannot see myself shelling out what they want UNLESS it is on a very good deal for an entry level vehicle.

25K and UP for a new car..............no way.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,585,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
That thing is not even a real van is it, looks more like a car. I could have gotten a nice, used Astro for a lot better price.
You can say its not a van all you want they are both classified as mini-vans.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 PM

8,990 posts, read 4,788,461 times
If I'm not buying a winter beater for $1000 or less I perfer to buy new. The reason for it is quite simple really. I don't usually have the cash to pay for the car so I have to finance it. For many years now you can get manufactures financing for as little as 0% or 1%. So it all boils down to what the monthly payment will be. Usually the payment on a 2 year old car is actually higher than a new one so why would I get the used one. I used to Lease cars with nothing down for the least amount possible. I'd take 12,000km a year if they had that available. I didn't care how many Km I put on the car because I had no intention of returning it when the lease was up. At the end of the lease I would either buy it using the dealer finacing and keep the car because I liked it or buy it and then sell it private for usually at least what I owed on the car. The advantage to me was I could write off my income the entire cost of the lease but if you buy the car you can only write off the depreciation.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So you like crappy cars. That doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Nope, the car I bought for 1500 bucks was great transportation and got 50 MPG.

Blow money on shiny bling all you like.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 PM

508 posts, read 850,080 times
I thought that I was getting a good deal when I bought my Certified Used Car four years ago. Of course, with 28K miles on the odometer when I bought it, the price was several thousand less than the original MSRP of over $24,000 (2006). I did get the same powertrain warranty as a new model, and the bumper to bumper warranty was extended a bit also. But, this has been by far the most troublesome car I've owned. Perhaps if I had bought a different brand, I would have had better luck with it.

My Dad never bought a used car in his life. I always remember him saying that when you buy a used car, you're just buying somebody else's problems. It sure seems that way with the car I've got now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive