Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:30 AM

654 posts, read 3,455,548 times

Advertisements

Over the years I have been somewhat mocked for driving the speed limits on the highways and local roads. Most people like to fly past and such and drive like they are in an extreme rush.

My own family used to tell me 'You drive like a truck driver!' (which I do drive semi for my job everyday).

Another friend told me when we were planning to go somewhere 'I'll drive since you drive a bit slow...'

And was told by someone else when I offered to drive somewhere 'I'll go ahead and drive since we need to get there pretty quickly' In other words I wouldn't be fast nor aggressive enough to suit them.

I do not question my driving habits, I have always been an easy driver and have never been aggressive on the roads. I have always stayed at the limit and sometimes have gone 5 over but other than that I have always stayed within the speed limit. I guess being a trucker over the years taught me many things on having patience on where you are going and being more alert on what's around you. Plus planning the trips ahead of time and knowing what route you are taking always helps to where you won't get into a panic or anything like that. On the freeway, if folks want to fly at 85+mph, then be my guest in the fast lane; that's what its there for. Hey, at least they make my job much easier when the get stopped by a patrol car a few miles down the road. And the best part is that whenever I do see a patrol car in the median I simply cruise on by with no problem since I know I am not speeding.

Because think about it, going 60mph you are going about 1 mile per minute so for any speed past 60+ if you were going 65 you would be saving 5 minutes per hour which doesn't translate to much time saved on short trips.

Of course, to my friends and family they have noted how I rarely have gotten any kind of ticket or accident. So I guess I have been doing something right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,622,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
Over the years I have been somewhat mocked for driving the speed limits on the highways and local roads. Most people like to fly past and such and drive like they are in an extreme rush.

My own family used to tell me 'You drive like a truck driver!' (which I do drive semi for my job everyday).

Another friend told me when we were planning to go somewhere 'I'll drive since you drive a bit slow...'

And was told by someone else when I offered to drive somewhere 'I'll go ahead and drive since we need to get there pretty quickly' In other words I wouldn't be fast nor aggressive enough to suit them.

I do not question my driving habits, I have always been an easy driver and have never been aggressive on the roads. I have always stayed at the limit and sometimes have gone 5 over but other than that I have always stayed within the speed limit. I guess being a trucker over the years taught me many things on having patience on where you are going and being more alert on what's around you. Plus planning the trips ahead of time and knowing what route you are taking always helps to where you won't get into a panic or anything like that. On the freeway, if folks want to fly at 85+mph, then be my guest in the fast lane; that's what its there for. Hey, at least they make my job much easier when the get stopped by a patrol car a few miles down the road. And the best part is that whenever I do see a patrol car in the median I simply cruise on by with no problem since I know I am not speeding.

Because think about it, going 60mph you are going about 1 mile per minute so for any speed past 60+ if you were going 65 you would be saving 5 minutes per hour which doesn't translate to much time saved on short trips.

Of course, to my friends and family they have noted how I rarely have gotten any kind of ticket or accident. So I guess I have been doing something right!
Compare Motor Vehicle Reports and then we'll see who will be mocking who.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:

Yup. Daily. On the average I am passed (in "no passing zones") by morons about 3X per week. Doesn't matter to me. I drive the speed limit because I am a law-abiding citizen. The last ticket I got was 23 years ago. My insurance is very low. I don't care what anybody thinks.

ETA: Oh, and I almost forgot. I get 23.4 miles per gallon in a vehicle that is only rated for 19. I can't wait until I get my new smartCar which is rated at 41 mpg. I'll probably get at least 45 mpg.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 08-16-2011 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
If I'm driving right at the speed limit my wife likes to remind me that you can get away with driving a couple of miles over. But if I am at 5-6 miles above the speed limit she asks me if I'm in a hurry. I can't win.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Yep, even been passed on the shoulder and tailgated. I do stay in the right lane but that doesn't seem to be enough. On one daily driven road, there's construction limiting the posted speed to 35 mph. I locked it in at 35. One really impatient jerk pulled off to the left (2 lane road with no passing) and floored it. He was so angry he kept it floored right up until the police lights turned on from behind a driveway's bushes. He was easily doing 55 to 60 mph in a 35 AND in a construction zone. Big ticket there. I rolled down my passenger window to waive bye-bye. I drive a 2003 Malibu with a 3.1L V6. In mostly city driving, I average around 22.5 to 23mpg with the AC on.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:

I woud say you drive like the old truck drivers. Now days few trusk drivers actully drive the speed limits that I observe. Speed limits aren't just randomly set if you study the subject.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
If you aren't blocking or impeding those behind you...
go as slow as you like.

But if you are... then pull to the right.
"Keep Right Except To Pass"

Old 08-16-2011, 12:30 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,286 times
I call them the gap closers: You can see them coming up behind you way back there, and the next thing you know, they're kissin' your bumper. When that happens, I let off the gas, don't use brake lights to alert them, and just cruise at exactly the limit, whereas before, I was probably going a little over. Ride my tailpipe now punk, and have fun guessing when I'm going to slow down. It will be your fault fool. My camera's got a great zoom to catch your plate number as you leave the scene.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you aren't blocking or impeding those behind you...
go as slow as you like.

But if you are... then pull to the right.
"Keep Right Except To Pass"
Roads around here don't have a shoulder to pull onto to let others pass. The road I live on is so narrow that parts of the road is falling into the ditch. Two trucks are regularly called to pull a vehicle out of a ditch. Perhaps if they'd driven the posted speed limit and avoided using their cell phone then they wouldn't have ended up in the ditch. At night on this road, I drive 5mph below the posted speed limit, lower when there is oncoming traffic.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
As long as you realize that slower traffic needs to keep to the right, I have no problem with people driving the speed limit. You can't be expected to break the law because other people want to. But be aware that if you're unnecessarily impeding traffic, you get what you deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive