U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:39 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,342,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Apart from other issues (i.e. if your current ride was unreliable or on its last legs), it's usually not better financially to trade any car for a car with better mileage, strictly for the purpose of getting better mileage.
In general you are correct, but in this case the OP is going down in vehicle rather than up so they will likely wind up "right-side-up" on the deal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pth
But I'd probably be able to sell it and get an '05-06 forester and have some cash left over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 AM

5,773 posts, read 2,733,665 times
My wife drives a 2009 Forester and we both think it's a great little CUV. Gas mileage is decent, about 24-26 in combined hwy/city driving. It handles very confidently in all weather conditions. When it comes to trading time I figure we'll probably get another. In about 10 years or so...

Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 PM

4,466 posts, read 5,212,760 times
The Forester is a sturdy vehicle, and as long as you check it out properly, you're not going to get too many surprises (hopefully).

As far as gas mileage goes, it's not exactly frugal, but compared to a Tahoe I'm sure it might seem to be.

That said (and I hate to be this guy...) how often do you need all that space? It might be cheaper in the long run if you keep the Tahoe for the trips and then buy a real gas saver for the every day crap, obviously that only works if the everyday driving makes up a significant amount of the mileage, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

In any case, I don't think you'll go wrong with a Forester, they're nice cars.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM
pth pth started this thread

274 posts, read 183,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Might I suggest the Jeep Patriot? It actually gets better gas mileage, is trail rated and looks a lot less 'lesbian-ish'
I lold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The Forester is a sturdy vehicle, and as long as you check it out properly, you're not going to get too many surprises (hopefully).

As far as gas mileage goes, it's not exactly frugal, but compared to a Tahoe I'm sure it might seem to be.

That said (and I hate to be this guy...) how often do you need all that space? It might be cheaper in the long run if you keep the Tahoe for the trips and then buy a real gas saver for the every day crap, obviously that only works if the everyday driving makes up a significant amount of the mileage, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

In any case, I don't think you'll go wrong with a Forester, they're nice cars.

I'm kind of on the edge of getting a forester, but my gf and I are looking to move (hopefully to portland, or). So the good things about that move, with our car situation would be:

1. If I got a forester, there would be no shortage of dealers(because we're going into one of the hippy capitals of the world...and everyone knows.. where there are hippies..there are subarus.)

2. We plan on biking/using public transportation as much as possible..limiting driving to getting into the outdoors on weekends..(this actually would benefit the 'keeping the tahoe' side of the situation).

So at this point its kind of a question of, 'do i feel like dealing with it' haha. I mean, I could get a forester before the move and save some money on gas driving cross country and also get some extra cash from selling the tahoe...

or

I could keep the tahoe, have more space for packing all of our stuff, pay the extra for gas, move on the money I have, but have the benefit of having that burly car when we need to go places on the weekends when we move.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 PM

4,466 posts, read 5,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
I'm kind of on the edge of getting a forester, but my gf and I are looking to move (hopefully to portland, or). So the good things about that move, with our car situation would be:

1. If I got a forester, there would be no shortage of dealers(because we're going into one of the hippy capitals of the world...and everyone knows.. where there are hippies..there are subarus.)

2. We plan on biking/using public transportation as much as possible..limiting driving to getting into the outdoors on weekends..(this actually would benefit the 'keeping the tahoe' side of the situation).

So at this point its kind of a question of, 'do i feel like dealing with it' haha. I mean, I could get a forester before the move and save some money on gas driving cross country and also get some extra cash from selling the tahoe...

or

I could keep the tahoe, have more space for packing all of our stuff, pay the extra for gas, move on the money I have, but have the benefit of having that burly car when we need to go places on the weekends when we move.
I own a Subaru myself, and other than not fitting well in the stock Impreza seat (might I urge you to buy up a little in the packages on a forester, the seats improve a lot from what I hear) I do really like it.

That said, in your situation I think I'd honestly hold on to the Tahoe for now, see how much you'll end up using it after the move, if it's only a weekend vehicle it might not make that big of deal, as you're not exactly trading in a guzzler for an econobox in any case. You can always buy another vehicle later, and if Subaru's are prevalent where you move to they'll likely only be cheaper.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:18 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,342,905 times
Any time you buy a used car you take a little bit of a gamble, whereas with your Tahoe you know what you have. Given the fact that you don't plan to drive a lot once you move, I'd stay with what you've got.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM

861 posts, read 1,182,888 times
I would strongly suggest you buy the newer forester. My GF has owned two of the new models and 09 and now the 10. She was in a very violent wreck in the first one about 3 months after we bought it and it saved her life. Looking at the other car I was amazed she lived let alone walked away. The other woman went to the ER and still has major problems but the wreck was her fault so I have no sympathy.

My GF drives 35K a year and the new car has 70K on it already with no problems. We've changed the brakes and tires once and keep up on the fluids. Otherwise it's been perfect. I've had the car offroad a few times and it's very capable. The only upgrade I would recommend is real skid plates which can be bought for around $300 and a better set of tires. The stock tires are fine for the street and even good in snow but offroad they are not up to the task. Keep in mind that I drive a slightly lifted Tacoma with the TRD OR pkg with lockers so saying the Forester is capable is a huge compliment coming from me as i wanted her to buy an FJ.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 PM

15,342 posts, read 21,263,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Might I suggest the Jeep Patriot? It actually gets better gas mileage, is trail rated and looks a lot less 'lesbian-ish'
Come again?
Jeep Patriot has generally gotten pretty poor reviews. Not so for the Subaru Forester overall. Gas mileage for the Subaru is better. It's also mostly what I see in snow country (lots of them).

Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 AM

861 posts, read 1,182,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Come again?
Jeep Patriot has generally gotten pretty poor reviews. Not so for the Subaru Forester overall. Gas mileage for the Subaru is better. It's also mostly what I see in snow country (lots of them).

I'm going to second this.. Jeeps are notoriously unreliable. Mileage is poor and on road daily driving is terrible. I've spent some time in a patriot when we did a ski trip in Michigan back in 2008. I know they have done work on the truck since then but it was a horrible ride and everyone that drove it was generally uncomfortable.

The Forester on the other hand drives like you would expect a car to. It doesn't feel at all like and crossover or SUV until you get it offroad. Around town the forester gets about 24 mpg and out on the hwy we gotten as much as 31 mpg when it was just the two of us without the kid and tons of luggage. I will mention that the mileage continued to improve for about the first 20K miles. When new mileage was about 20 city/ 25 hwy.

Last edited by johna01374; 08-24-2011 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM

15,342 posts, read 21,263,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I'm going to second this.. Jeeps are notoriously unreliable. Mileage is poor and on road daily driving is terrible. I've spent some time in a patriot when we did a ski trip in Michigan back in 2008. I know they have done work on the truck since then but it was a horrible ride and everyone that drove it was generally uncomfortable.

The Forester on the other hand drives like you would expect a car to. It doesn't feel at all like and crossover or SUV until you get it offroad. Around town the forester gets about 24 mpg and out on the hwy we gotten as much as 31 mpg when it was just the two of us without the kid and tons of luggage. I will mention that the mileage continued to improve for about the first 20K miles. When new mileage was about 20 city/ 25 hwy.
I looked at an 04 Forester XS the other day and was wondering if the MPG would be similar to the one that you have. What year is your Forester? I have heard many accounts of differing MPG for these vehicles with some getting less than advertised and some getting more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive