Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:49 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times

Advertisements

Does anyone drive an F-150 4dr as their primary family car? We have 3 kids (9, 7, 4). We spend about 5 weeks/yr in the mountains, sometimes needing to do light off-roading to get to trailheads and lots of rough gravel roads both in the mountains and at home in TX. We also haul around outdoor gear locally and when we head to the mountains (bikes, skis, camping stuff).

My concern with the F-150 is in having one row of seats in the back instead of two. And the kids climbing in and out of the truck. And the large heavy passenger doors being opened by children and hitting parked cars. Just wondering what your experiences have been. I have been avoiding the Suburban, Yukon, et al just because it has SO much interior space that would go unused much of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
I'd say for 2 kids, it would be fine but 3 may be pushing it a bit.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Thinking about it, I guess it would be better than driving a sedan... How many Americans with three kids drive a sedan as their primary family vehicle? Anyone know? A few families come to mind for me, but not many. We had several sedans and a station wagon growing up. How did we survive??

Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Extended or SuperCab?

The Extended cab would be a bit tight, the seat back is straight upright and for the 9 year old legroom will start getting cramped in a couple years. You can't open the rear doors when the main doors are closed.

The Supercab would be more car like for entry and seating. The seats are more comfortable. The doors open independently from the front. The standard bed is shorter with this configuration.

I know several familes whose main vehicle is a pick up.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I don't use an F150 (or any other truck for that matter) as a primary family vehicle, but I have many friends who do and I would have no problem doing so myself if my need for a pickup justified it.

I don't understand the concern of having 1 row of seats instead of 2. Your 3 kids will fit comfortably in the back seat of an F150 4-door if that is what you're asking. But it won't leave room for much of anything else if that is what you're concerned about.

The 4-year-old might need some help getting in and out of a full-size 4x4, the older kids will be fine.

The potential for door dinging won't be any higher than any other 4-door vehicle, unless you are comparing it to a van with sliding side doors.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Does anyone drive an F-150 4dr as their primary family car? We have 3 kids (9, 7, 4). We spend about 5 weeks/yr in the mountains, sometimes needing to do light off-roading to get to trailheads and lots of rough gravel roads both in the mountains and at home in TX. We also haul around outdoor gear locally and when we head to the mountains (bikes, skis, camping stuff).

My concern with the F-150 is in having one row of seats in the back instead of two. And the kids climbing in and out of the truck. And the large heavy passenger doors being opened by children and hitting parked cars. Just wondering what your experiences have been. I have been avoiding the Suburban, Yukon, et al just because it has SO much interior space that would go unused much of the time.
It's pretty common where I live and folks seem to manage fine with just the one rear row. Might be a little tight if you still need boosters, but, I don't think that's any different than a family sedan or smaller SUV and I still see lots of families with kids in those as well

Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

I don't understand the concern of having 1 row of seats instead of 2. Your 3 kids will fit comfortably in the back seat of an F150 4-door if that is what you're asking. But it won't leave room for much of anything else if that is what you're concerned about.
It is about a 13 hour trip to get from TX to CO. A third row gives some extra separation between kids for that seemingly interminable drive. And yes, we would actually be going from a minivan to a truck. My street cred should pick up tremendously. Good to know the doors aren't any bigger or heavier than a sedan, they can handle those just fine.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Extended or SuperCab?
Definitely a SuperCab.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I would get a SUV. A truck bed is wasted space 95% of the time. I'd rather have another bench seat and covered storage space.

Should be able to find one that can get about 25MPG highway, which will be better than a Truck (21mpg at best for a 4x4).

Old 08-08-2011, 09:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Its not idea but you can get by with a four door model. You;d be much better off with a SUV if you don't need the open bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln