Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:07 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuilder View Post
A haynes is only good up to a point. I find myself needing information not provided in the haynes manual quite a bit of the time. Example, the haynes manual did not give an instruction on removing control arm bushings from the control arm, just how to remove the control arm itself.

If you find yourself needing info not provided in the haynes/chilton, you might want to invest in a Factory Service Manual.
+1. It seemed like every time I worked on my cars, neither manual had the info I needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
Many factory service manuals can be found online for free. I just found ones for my 2001 Cherokee and a friends 95 Dakota today. As others have said, these manuals are NOT for the novice, just wanted to let everyone know that a little google-fu goes a long way to finding the info you need for free.

I have been a shadetree mechanic almost all my life. Started doing simple tuneups with my uncle at 8yrs old. I was in charge of gapping the plugs and changing the air filter. lol In my experience, if a Haynes or Chiltons manual doesnt cover it, its not a simple DIY type repair. I have maybe 30 haynes/chiltons manuals, 15-20 factory service manuals and another 40 or so in PDF format for the cars ive worked on over the years.

The only caution I would give you is when it comes to brakes. They are simple enough once you've done them a handfull of times. But if you do it wrong, dont take care of your flexible hoses, forget to put a spring or bolt back, you can lose your brakes when you need them or have your wheels lock up and cause an accident. Please have someone who knows what they are doing check your work the first few times you work on your brakes just to double check and make sure you will be safe.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 762 times
I have a 1993 Cadillac Deville 4.9 L I replaced the O2 sensor and plugs wires cap and rotor and still cant get it to pass NJ emissions at standard idle. It failed for high hydrocarbons 550ppm when I need 220ppm but it passed at high idle it had 88ppm when it needed 220ppm to pass any help is needed

Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
You vehicle manufacturer makes the BEST service manual there is. These are usually 2000 pages of service information for one specific model year vehicle!

You can get the same service information at ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

You may also be able to order a set of factory books (4 to set many times) or DVD's from your vehicle dealer's parts department.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,165,715 times
Forget those manuals you like Haynes and Chilton's. They cover multiple model years for each vehicle. they may go into detail for one year, then only give a paragraph for another. If you want a real manual, find the service manual for your model of vehicle. Buying them from the manufacturer can be spendy, but you can find them cheaper on ebay or amazon. those will tell you everything you need to know about your vehicle.

Also, YouTube has a lot of car care videos. One guy I like is Eric the Car Guy. A1 Auto Parts has a channel with a lot of info too. You can also join online forums specifically for your car. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on them that are more than willing to help DIYers do things right the first time.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Forget those manuals you like Haynes and Chilton's. They cover multiple model years for each vehicle. they may go into detail for one year, then only give a paragraph for another. If you want a real manual, find the service manual for your model of vehicle. Buying them from the manufacturer can be spendy, but you can find them cheaper on ebay or amazon. those will tell you everything you need to know about your vehicle.

Also, YouTube has a lot of car care videos. One guy I like is Eric the Car Guy. A1 Auto Parts has a channel with a lot of info too. You can also join online forums specifically for your car. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on them that are more than willing to help DIYers do things right the first time.
Yep in this day and age if you have a common vehicle (Toyota, Ford, Honda) there should be a YouTube video or dedicated forums with DIY on almost anything from brakes, filters, spark plugs, etc.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 337 times
Welcome to Manual Universe! We carry a wide selection of electronic versions of service (repair) manuals, schematic diagrams and user guides for home and professional audio-visual equipment, PCs and other electrical appliances. We have more than 3416000 items in our ever-growing collection!

Old 01-06-2019, 03:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
For a beginner looking to do basics like brakes, coolant system, alternators, fluids etc

Hanes/Chilton

If you plan on going more in depth there are plenty of manuals out there. Imo the best there is to buy is the factory service manuals. I buy one for all my vehicles. They used to be really 3xoensive but you can get a factory service manual CD or download off EBay for 15/25 bucks

Old 01-06-2019, 04:00 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Youtube should be all you need. Also, join the forum dedicated to your vehicle. If you have a Toyota Tacoma, for example, join that forum.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:29 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Buy both a used Chilton and Haynes off Ebay, they are well worth the money.

Maybe not the greatest, but you can supplement these with scads of info off the Internet and Youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive